SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battle star gallectica
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle star gallectica Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I love Star Trek in most of its incarnations, but the original 1978-79 Battlestar Galactica is one of my favorites, too. It’s more special to me a way in that there’s not nearly as much content for it as ST but it also has so much untapped potential.

There were a few really good original BSG episodes but too many really bad ones in a single season (like someone mentioned earlier, Galactica 1980 doesn't count!). The show had a lot to do with hope and determination to survive, but that was glossed over or ignored in some of the dumber eps, which squandered far too much of its potential. I write as a hobby so I've written several BSG episode stories and a novella on FanFiction where I've tried to strike the right balance taken by the better episodes and touch on some of the possibilities. It’s tough to do that correctly so I can see how the original production team, which was pressed for time and on budget issues on the then-most- expensive show on TV, could have had such an uneven record.

I watched the first two seasons of the new BSG reboot and felt they got that difficult balance right part of the time, too, but there were just too many things that ran counter to the original show (including the Cylons' origin) that I finally gave up on it and didn’t miss it.

Now, I'm going to look on my shelf at my little collection of Vipers, a Raider, and the Galactica...

:-)

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by RAEIndustries:
Even Star Trek "current" has gone to crap, Scott Bakula was worse captain than deep space 9

Agreed, but I'd suffer through Bakula just to see a little more Jolene Blalock. Decontamination chamber, anyone?

Yeah, she was easy on the eyes. However, this is one of the many reasons that I disliked ST:ENT. They eschewed good stories and plotlines in favor of nerdbait (the gratuitous slathering on of KY jelly "Decon gel" over Blalock's scantily-clad body, and the 'sex therapy' crap in a later season). The result was cheap viewing. She could have had a great character; instead, they used her to show off as much skin and underboob as they could get away with. Even Blalock complained about this.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Both series have had ups and downs.

ST has a larger following and I like some of the original movies and reboot movies. Most of the Star Trek TV shows have sucked IMO.

BSG reboot had a lot of good stuff going and overall I liked it A LOT. The ending was soft and 'meh', but overall I think it was great.

I don't have One Favorite Food. I love seafood, pizza, Chinese, Italian, German, etc. I couldn't pick just one to eat exclusively for the rest of my life.

Likewise, I don't really have One Favorite Sci-Fi show. I love Star Trek (Next Gen, DS9, about 2 dozen Voyager eps, maybe 2 dozen Enterprise eps, and 4-5 TOS eps (I've seen them so many time that I am bored with them by now) ). It benefits from a vast history of continuity (damn you prequels).

I love Babylon 5, thought it's a very different flavor of show. It's less 'shiny/new,' and more realistic, without devolving to the really gritty depressing vibe of the BSG reboot.

BSG has some really good elements. Their FTL drives work really differently. In Star Trek/Wars, they travel really REALLY fast from Point A to Point B like driving really fast on a highway, passing slower drivers (going at sub-light speed). In B5, they use a separate dimension (they access this dimension via jump gates or integral jump drives). It's like jumping on a people-mover in an airport or a high-occupancy carpool lane that other cars can't access. You travel from Point A to Point B, but in a separate dimension than the people just walking or driving on the regular road. In BSG, they simply disappear from Point A, and spontaneously reappear at Point B. They don't traverse the space between the two points, and there could a literal planet or star between the two points. It is a very novel concept.

I also like the Combat Information Center on BSG. They have really cool sounds, klaxons, Dradis (radar) sounds, etc. It has a very realistic feel. It is much more real (to me, at least) than Star Trek's really shiney bridge, with limited tactical displays, one dude operating ALL the ship's weapons, etc.

The level of 'realism' is also impressive, IMO. The Raptors and Vipers look like F-16s and Apaches on a US airbase.

Overall, they did a great job with the BSG reboot. It naturally couldn't have the same old cheesy feel of the original (this isn't 1978 anymore). They really captured the desperation and the tendency to play fast and loose with their morals after 99.999999% of their people were murdered (as Admiral Kane, said, they had to survive first; only after could they have the luxury of their morals). It was more depressing than I would have liked, as they seemed to spend more time killing other humans than they spent killing cylons. Of course, this lends to the desperate feel to the show (fleeing with less than 50,000 humans pursued by a ruthless enemy - I can see why they would envy the dead.

They got more right than they got wrong, IMO.

great observations

my one complaint about Star Trek is the quality of the ships,

the look great, nice and shiney as mentioned, but as soon as one Klingon cuts a fart in space a panel on the bridge blows out and some system goes down

I remember a running joke about ST TNG that every system and device had 3 words for the description and each was capable of at least level 3 diagnostics,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I really liked the BSG reboot. How the old battlestar was like an old WW2 carrier. Gritty characters trying to survive. There was a lot to like. But they got side tracked. Made the cylons too powerful and basically sacrificed good story telling for cheap thrills. So they died out too. As did stargate universe (which was a copycat of BSG anyway.)

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post