SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite British TV series?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite British TV series? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Paranoid, Happy Valley and Luther come to mind for recent ones. I thought The Fall was excellent too, but I believe it's a joint British-Irish production.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
How about a couple of obscure ones: Red Cap (a British military police drama set in Germany)and Doctor in the House (about the craziness of the National Health Service).

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Oh, c'mon! Nobody remembers The Avengers?

Emma Peel, FTW.

BTW, where did you pick up on posting an image in base64 encoding?

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
New Tricks is the only one I care for just now.

I enjoyed all the seasons of New Tricks. Missed the originals as they left and new actors took their place, but it was a good show until the end.

I like "Minder" (also with Dennis Waterman) - a late-70's/early '80's show. I'm on season 5 right now and, so far, all the episodes have been a good watch. "Cockney business and justice", as an English friend of mine said when I told him I like the show. Smile

And one more recommendation I haven't seen here is "Hustle". It has Robert Vaughn as one of the principal actors but all the others are British and the show is based in London. Con-men/women, grifters, etc., with a twist. Series ran from 2004-2012 and is a light and fun watch.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About Anglia, The Secret War, The World at War.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Flambards

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

Forgot about "The Secret War". Had a major crush on the main girl in the series!

This jogged my memory that another very well done series about WWII is "Colditz". The escapes and incidents are true and it follows the non-fiction book by Paul Brickhill quite well.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
anyone remember The Goodie's ?
faulty tower's ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sherlock
IT Crowd
The Office
Black Mirror

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Of course 'Monty Python' and 'Fawlty Towers'.

I also saw several mentions of 'Broadchurch'. (I thought Season 1 was excellent)

I don't think I've seen anyone mention 'The House of Cards'. The British version knew when to call it quits and, thus, is much superior to the American version.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Oh, c'mon! Nobody remembers The Avengers?

Emma Peel, FTW.

BTW, where did you pick up on posting an image in base64 encoding ?

Huh?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I hear that the Maigret movies starring Rowan Atkinson (if you can find them) as Inspector Maigret are outstanding.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody remember "Jeeves and Wooster" starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry? Short-run, based on the book series, but pretty funny if you like British slapstick.

I recently picked up "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Alec Guinness, got the DVD series from Overstock.com, of all places!

Reading back over this thread, I'd have to say how impressed I am with British television productions. I haven't seen more than about half of those mentioned, but every one is memorable.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

Forgot about "The Secret War". Had a major crush on the main girl in the series!

I'm afraid you are referring to another series. I was referring to a 70s series about WW2 technology.

Smile

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
A few I don't recall seeing listed yet:
Antiques Roadshow
Escape to the Country
Grand Designs
Great British Baking Show
Two Fat Ladies

And other favorites:
Coupling
Top Gear (Jeremy, Hamster, and Capt. Slow)
Who's Line Is It Anyway?
Downton Abbey
Fawlty Towers
Sherlock

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
"The Prisoner" has always been my favorite.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
1. The Prisoner

2. Monty Python's Flying Circus

3. Benny Hill

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

BTW, where did you pick up on posting an image in base64 encoding ?

Huh?

When I click on Reply to your message, where it shows your original message, the image referenced between the IMG /IMG tags is not a URL, but instead the base64 encoding of the image. I've never seen an image posted that way before on the forum. That's what an attachment to an email looks like when it travels from server to server.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed "Danger UXB" 30+ years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078593/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post