SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite British TV series?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite British TV series? Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
For more John Thaw and Dennis Waterman, check out "The Sweeney". After watching it you'll realize it was most likely the inspiration for "Life on Mars" Speaking of LOM and ATA, Philip Glenister is outstanding as DCI Gene Hunt and the reason the shows works.

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention 'The House of Cards'. The British version knew when to call it quits and, thus, is much superior to the American version.

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment" Wink

I could never get into the US version after watching Ian Richardson's original.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Anybody remember "Jeeves and Wooster" starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry? Short-run, based on the book series, but pretty funny if you like British slapstick

I wouldn't call it "slapstick" given that Wodehouse was really very cleverly examining the actual nature of England's social structure during the post Edwardian period.... Look at the title of the stories: Jeeves (the so called servant.. I mean "Gentleman's Gentleman") and Wooster.... But if I go too far down that road I start to sound like someone who should have a lot less intelligence and a lot more money (and tenure)...

So instead I simply say (as someone who has managed to collect as best I can tell an example of every single P G Wodehouse written work, I still cannot read a Jeeves and Wooster novel or story without picturing Fry and Laurie as the characters.

Other notable series not already mentioned:

A bit of Fry and Laurie (see above, it's more and varied and even better)

Only Fools and Horses (This time next year we'll all be millionaires!)

The Piglet Files.

Bill R
Unrepentant Anglophile

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
How could I forget "Between the Lines". I bought it from Amazon UK.

A multi region DVD player is a must for fans of Brit shows. PBS often edits the versions they show and then sells the shortened shows on their DVDs. For all the original content, buy directly from the UK if possible.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
When I click on Reply to your message, where it shows your original message, the image referenced between the IMG /IMG tags is not a URL, but instead the base64 encoding of the image... 

I found her picture on Google Images, right-clicked, then left-clicked "Copy Image," pasted the text into "Image URL."

(Thank you for giving me an excuse to Google Diana Rigg again! Big Grin )

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, c'mon! Nobody remembers The Avengers?

I had a huge crush on Diana Rigg and I wanted to be just like John Steed when I grew up
The Brits had a lot of good TV. I addition to the Avengers, my favs are Top Gear (C,M,H cast), New Tricks, Monthy Python and an obscure comedy from the 70's called Doctor in the House

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
quote:
Oh, c'mon! Nobody remembers The Avengers?

I had a huge crush on Diana Rigg and I wanted to be just like John Steed when I grew up

Diana Rigg/Emma Peel left a lasting impression on me....shoots guns and martial arts......she still remains my ideal woman. Smile

I actually liked John Steed better than James Bond.

The Avengers
Monty Python
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Britt)
Fawlty Towers
Sherlock
I, Claudius
Morse
Prime Suspect (Helen Mirren)
Wire In The Blood (Robson Green as Dr. Tony Hill. Really great series if you haven't seen it)
Foyle's War
Case Histories (Jason Issacs as Jackson Brodie)
Top Gear (Clarkson, Hammond, and May)
Doctor Who (starting with Tom Baker)

There are actually a bunch of newer Brit mystery shows on Netflix and Amazon that I enjoy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cazio:
My wife and I watch mostly British series and there are many.
Midsomer Murders
Foyle's War
Shetland
Brodchurch
Death in Paradise
Bletchey Circle
Sherlock but was very disappointed in the last season.

I enjoyed those plus "Peaky Blinders" and "Ripper Street".

Actually most any British police show. Too many to list. I was sorry to see "Inspector George Gently" end.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought of three others
Open All Hours
Mini-series Worricker
Michael Palin's travel series

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BillF,

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Doctor who throughout the run. Although my childhood Who was Tom Baker. I really liked Christopher Eccleston too.

Also Faulty Towers. What a hilarious show.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember Saphire & Steele, which stared David McCallum and Juanna Lumley? It's a bit hard to describe, but sort of a mashup of Doctor Who, the X Files, and the Avengers.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I remember seeing several episodes of this on PBS back in the day, like 30-40 yrs ago,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Saint, Benny Hill and Monty Python.

Add: Shelly and Mrs. Brown's Boys.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember The Protectors? Ran in syndication for two seasons in the early '70s. Starred Robert Vaughn of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. fame, with a somewhat similar story-line.

Had a pretty cool theme song, not as good as Secret Agent Man, but not bad...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Does anyone remember The Protectors? Ran in syndication for two seasons in the early '70s. Starred Robert Vaughn of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. fame, with a somewhat similar story-line.

Had a pretty cool theme song, not as good as Secret Agent Man, but not bad...

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuFWrx9mdTQ" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

he was also good in a more modern series
Hu$tle

good show

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I watched Dempsey and Makepeace in the 80's.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Red Riding trilogy
Red Riding 1974 (2009)
Red Riding 1980 (2009)
Red Riding 1983 (2009)

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Just finished Paranoid on Netflix which was good and just started Hinterland which so far is pretty good too. I really like Shetland and Broadchurch!

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Death in Paradise (it's on Netflix). Mainly for the island scenery.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Bean, Top Gear and An Idiot Abroad.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
Too many to choose from. If I had to narrow it down:

Blackadder Goes Forth
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
Sherlock

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post