SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP) Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
It's like watching skeletons at first....just the framework, the basic bones of the show. After a couple of seasons, the characters are fleshed out and the story arcs that develop with them carry you to places we haven't seen.

Good description. Unlike many, I liked the first season, showing what an awkward nerdy loser Walter was, what a classless, brash dickhead Hank was, etc. And of course as many of us knows, these personas don't last...

Vince Gilligan is right up there with David Chase as TV Genius of all time. As a former executive producer and writer for the X-Files, Gilligan really brought his A-game to all facets of production in BB. This thread is timely because my son is back from college for the summer, and as a fan of cable episodic TV (Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Deadwood, etc), he wanted to re-watch BB all over again. We are currently finishing season two, and it is interesting all of the little intricacies we missed the first time around.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I tried to watch it a while back. I didn't even make it through the first scene, I kid you not. First episode, first scene- click.

If my father in law had not kept telling us we needed to check it out and I would have just tried it by chance I am pretty sure this is where I would turn it off.
I am still wondering how anyone in management watched the pilot and felt it a good idea to continue the series.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching the series a second time. I still don't think the way it ended was all that fantastic. Walter really manages to fuck up Jesse over the course of the show.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it all the way through. I give the whole thing c+ season
b season 2
3,4 c-
Season 5 c+

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am watching it for the first time and think it is great. Walter is a real piece of work.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I love movie reviews on Sig forum, it's often such a review of the OP.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I loved it, one of the best series I've watched in years.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Meth and everything about it is gross and dirty. I had less than zero interest at first, and wasn't all that impressed after several episodes. Ultimately, however, I grew to like it as well or better than most TV shows ever made. BB, The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, all of them are fantastic in their own right, full of excellently written and acted deplorables - for the most part - with moments of wisdom and redemption and the like.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It wasn't as good as The Sopranos.

But it was very good. Give it a try at least through the first season.

Don't get hung up on details - for example the disparity you perceive between the house and the pool (although I don't even think that is inexplicable). The show is about the people, and in particular about Walter's arc through the story. It is almost a true tragedy in the Greek drama or Shakespearean sense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I made it four episodes. I don't understand how so many people made it to episode five.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of the comments here. You really have to gut it out through the first season or two which lays the groundwork for boring Walt and his family. If you keep watching until the end, I think most people will see that it's the best series since Sopranos (I liked it more than Sopranos). The series is about the evolution of its characters, obviously Walter White specifically. There really isn't a better show out there worth binging on if you haven't seen it yet.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I agree with most of the comments here. You really have to gut it out through the first season or two...
You guys are nuts. Big Grin I'm glad you guys enjoy it but like most things, it's not for everybody.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I agree with most of the comments here. You really have to gut it out through the first season or two...
You guys are nuts. Big Grin I'm glad you guys enjoy it but like most things, it's not for everybody.

I guess I can understand because I did the same thing as many people here did... watched one random early episode and gave up on it. Then watched it again and binged it when I couldn't find anything else worth watching. Got hooked on it once I got past the story building in season one.

But true, not for everyone... a lot of people loved Lost and I couldn't stand it. Still glad I didn't watch it after hearing about the awful ending.

I also never watched Game of Thrones but binged it last year and loved it.

And yep, some of us are crazy but Netflix and no commercials and the way it jumps from one episode right to the next makes it very easy to binge shows these days.

I would say my three favorite series of all time -- X-Files, Sopranos, and Breaking Bad.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Maybe folks just hyped it up so much. Heard some many people say it is the best show since the Sopranos. Not even close.

My first time weighing in on BB, so you didn't hear the hype from me Razz

But, IMO, better than the Sopranos. I thought the Sopranos started out well but got progressively worse; the characters didn't develop, and some became cartoonish.

On the other hand, the characters in BB got better as the show progressed. The character arc of Walter evolves from a meek science teacher to a murderous criminal mastermind. Jesse started out more of a minor character. I read somewhere that his character was never intended to be a major character, but Aaron Paul was so good that they reconfigured the show to make him one.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I posted earlier than I'm on my 2nd round of BB, just watched the middle 2nd season episode introducing Mr. Goodman. The ride begins Big Grin.

Para, consider giving it another chance, I swear it's right up your alley. Crime drama tour de force with excellent writing. They certainly don't churn these out everyday...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I sure hope you all are right.
Currently binge watching while we are stuck here in the hospital. Not getting any better. But we are holding out.
Man I really dislike Hank with every passing episode and just roll my eyes whenever he enters the scene. I got excited for a moment and thought he was having a heart attack in the elevator and would be no more.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have a certain amount of waking hours in my life. There are enough great movies and TV shows (and books, and family activities, and hiking, and shooting, and internet forums, ....) that I can't even watch all the ones I want.

No matter how good the writing (eventually, it sounds like) or acting I have no interest in wasting my time on a drug manufacturer. The rest of you can enjoy it for me.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I sure hope you all are right.
Currently binge watching while we are stuck here in the hospital. Not getting any better. But we are holding out.
Man I really dislike Hank with every passing episode and just roll my eyes whenever he enters the scene. I got excited for a moment and thought he was having a heart attack in the elevator and would be no more.
I initially felt the same way, but as the show develops, and his character does too, you will see there are good qualities about Hank.

I would love to ask Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, and Dean Norris if Hank's persona was partially modeled after George Patton. A person who wants to do good things, but whose insecurities causes them to overcompensate, and behave outlandishly, to cover up.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
My wife and I liked it a lot. Binge watched the whole thing over a few weekends.
The devolution of Walter, who never did any drugs at all, showing how the drug world can tear you down despite your supposedly good intentions.
Funny how we finally started watching it. My wife grew up with Pat Cashman and he invited us to a taping of the 206. They did a spoof called Breaking Ballard. We didn't really get it so we started watching Breaking Bad the next night and got hooked.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
I only have a certain amount of waking hours in my life. There are enough great movies and TV shows (and books, and family activities, and hiking, and shooting, and internet forums, ....) that I can't even watch all the ones I want.

No matter how good the writing (eventually, it sounds like) or acting I have no interest in wasting my time on a drug manufacturer. The rest of you can enjoy it for me.

Please, don't stop now. Enlighten us with your superior moral consciousness and teach us the error of our ways. Roll Eyes

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post