SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
After BB I got into Game of Thrones. I told the wife, hey you ought to check out GOT's. She says, I'm not into that dungeons and dragons stuff, as she watches The Good Wife. I say, give it a chance, watch a couple episodes. So she does; her and the daughter got hooked on it.
So, my .02c, let the characters develop, you may end up liking Hank (and Mike) more than any of them.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Tjust watch Walt quit his job at the car wash season 1. Solid gold, especially if you ever watched Malcom in the Middle.

Cranston really seems to enjoy parading around in his tighty whities and grabbing his crotch. Smile

I guess a lot of folks don't get that the series is intentionally somewhat cartoonish. We all know a lot of what is depicted would never happen in real life, but the way it is presented allows for a connection to real life and real emotions even if done over the top. Characters like Hank and his klepto wife are purposely overly annoying.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The series really starts to smooth out around episode 67. Big Grin

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I guess a lot of folks don't get that the series is intentionally somewhat cartoonish. We all know a lot of what is depicted would never happen in real life, but the way it is presented allows for a connection to real life and real emotions even if done over the top. Characters like Hank and his klepto wife are purposely overly annoying.

This is true. At first my wife kept saying this is like half a comedy. I kept saying it's supposed to be.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It took the wife and I three or four attempts to get past the first couple episodes. Once we did, there was some binge watching until the final few episodes.

The last episode we just looked at each other and asked how do we get that lost time of our lives back?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I never made it out of the first season.

"Walter, you were an inspiration to me and a huge part of the smarts behind my company. I'd love to offer you a super lucrative job and cover your medical expenses."

"No. I'll do it on my broke-ass own."

Oh FFS. Fuck this noise.

If you kept watching you'd find out why he feels so strongly about not taking their money.

Not only would you realize why he doesn't like them, but you are missing the bigger point. Walt is an asshole, with a raging ego under the surface of his quiet science teacher persona. That is the show, his transformation into Heisenberg, aka Evil Walt. He is a supreme dick, and you are seeing flashes of that early

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The series really starts to smooth out around episode 67. Big Grin

So you admit you watched it!! Wink

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I'm just going with the flow.

"I tried to watch it. It sucks"

"Oh, you just need to give it a couple of seasons"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Para, are there any TV series that you like?

I really enjoy your views and insights on movies (especially noir), and am now wondering what shows, if any, you'd recommend.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Great show. Definitely an acquired taste. Better Call Saul is off to a great start as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I keep petering out at episode 3 or 4. Doesn't hold my attention. But I'm thinking I should hunker down in my boonker and give the whole thing another spin. After all, it can't really get worse than the first few episodes, can it?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Sure, lots of them, too many to name, but in the past few years: Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, the first season of True Detective.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Sure, lots of them, too many to name, but in the past few years: Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, the first season of True Detective.

Thanks Para. I have not seen Deadwood, but enjoyed Boardwalk Empire and the first season of True Detective as well.

(Sorry for the thread drift Black92LX).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
A lot of times I skip stuff that people love for no good reason. I never watched Lost, Breaking Bad, any of the Harry Potter stuff, no Lord of the rings for me, Game of whatever...nope. I find a lot of people on earth to be morons so that means a lot of morons like that stuff...there is my rationale Smile

I have a moron aversion the likes of which cannot even be measured, and a streak of not liking typically popular shit that the most hipster hipsters the world has ever known only wish they could have. I *am* too cool for school/etc sometimes, and don't give a shit what anyone thinks of it, so suffice it to say - I understand.

Once in a while, however, such an attitude will equate to missing out on some truly outstanding and interesting things. And as far as film and TV goes, GoT, BB, and the like are some of the best dramatic works that've ever been filmed, by twenty country miles.

Try some of them out sometime, you might be surprised.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Not only would you realize why he doesn't like them, but you are missing the bigger point. Walt is an asshole, with a raging ego under the surface of his quiet science teacher persona. That is the show, his transformation into Heisenberg, aka Evil Walt. He is a supreme dick, and you are seeing flashes of that early

I would have to respectfully disagree. Walt Sr. was a good guy but he does have an ego problem. He got dealt a shitty hand with the cancer and it motivated him to do whatever it took so long as he could accomplish his goal of providing financial security to his family AND only doing it without accepting help from others (however, the offer from his college buddies is more than that as we know). If Walt never got cancer, he'd continue being a good person and the idea of cooking meth would be 100% out of the question even though money is tight and life didn't turn out the way he wanted.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Walt Jr. is one of my favorite characters because his character and integrity doesn't change throughout the series and he is the only proof that his parents were once loving, decent and honorable people.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Done with season 2, still sucks.
Though have to say there has been a scene where I actually liked Hank. The tequila scene he surprised me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Done with season 2, still sucks.
Though have to say there has been a scene where I actually liked Hank. The tequila scene he surprised me.

Hank can rub some viewers the wrong way but he is a good guy and is actually quite intelligent. He says one of the best one liners in the final season and it is the most impactful description of Walt Sr, I'll leave it at that.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Good night. I finally get around to watching this as people have raved about it since it's inception and what crap this show is. Granted it is not so terrible that I won't finish the series now that I have started but it is really failing to keep my attention.
Possibly my biggest problem is it is just so flat depressing being that it is built around a character with terminal cancer. No real way to make that enjoyable in my mind really.

Then on top of that I can't stand any of the characters they all seem a bit cartoonish to me. Hank and his wife really annoy me. Jessie just seems like such a goober, Walter Jr. not really sure the deal with that, Walters wife just seems kind of bland, and Walter I guess he is the most life like outside of the cancer issues reminds me much of my freshman biology teach sweaters and all though he did not have a mustache or glasses.

Then the things I don't get are the inside of their house appears to be stuck in the 80s yet the backyard pool area seems very nice and modern.
He drives a Pontiac Aztec quite possibly the worst vehicle known to man and she drives an early 80s Grand Wagoneer is freaking pristine condition that someone would really give a bunch of money for in that shape. Just does not seem to flow to me.

Maybe folks just hyped it up so much. Heard some many people say it is the best show since the Sopranos. Not even close.

My wife and I started watching Braking Bad after the series had ended. We enjoyed it. But it gets darker (depressing) as the series goes on.

We also enjoy Better Call Saul. But that is a very different show.

With that said, Black, if I had the reaction that you above, I would quit watching and never look back. Life is just too short to waste it watching TV you don't like.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I made it through maybe two episodes and couldn't take any more.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
would have to respectfully disagree. Walt Sr. was a good guy but he does have an ego problem. He got dealt a shitty hand with the cancer and it motivated him to do whatever it took so long as he could accomplish his goal of providing financial security to his family AND only doing it without accepting help from others (however, the offer from his college buddies is more than that as we know). If Walt never got cancer, he'd continue being a good person and the idea of cooking meth would be 100% out of the question even though money is tight and life didn't turn out the way he wanted.

I disagree with your disagreement. That is a common misconception that a life circumstance such as a cancer diagnosis turns people into criminals. Simply does not happen. Walt was a piece of shit all along. JMHO

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post