SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Good night. I finally get around to watching this as people have raved about it since it's inception and what crap this show is. Granted it is not so terrible that I won't finish the series now that I have started but it is really failing to keep my attention.
Possibly my biggest problem is it is just so flat depressing being that it is built around a character with terminal cancer. No real way to make that enjoyable in my mind really.

Then on top of that I can't stand any of the characters they all seem a bit cartoonish to me. Hank and his wife really annoy me. Jessie just seems like such a goober, Walter Jr. not really sure the deal with that, Walters wife just seems kind of bland, and Walter I guess he is the most life like outside of the cancer issues reminds me much of my freshman biology teach sweaters and all though he did not have a mustache or glasses.

Then the things I don't get are the inside of their house appears to be stuck in the 80s yet the backyard pool area seems very nice and modern.
He drives a Pontiac Aztec quite possibly the worst vehicle known to man and she drives an early 80s Grand Wagoneer is freaking pristine condition that someone would really give a bunch of money for in that shape. Just does not seem to flow to me.

Maybe folks just hyped it up so much. Heard some many people say it is the best show since the Sopranos. Not even close.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
It's the character development that goes on throughout the series. You gotta stick with it :-)

A lot of your reservations are expended upon as the series goes on. Some take a while.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
How many episodes did you watch? Just the first season?

Not to bring in any spoilers, but the characters you named ALL grow more complex as the series progresses.

I am one of the folks here that raved about the series, and IMO I think BB is better than The Sopranos (which, unlike BB, was inconsistent in execution). And I loved The Sopranos.

Give it a chance. As the seasons go by, it is a rollercoaster ride unlike any show.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I did not like the first season. It slowly started getting better the second season. I would say it is a good show but not anything to get super excited about.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I did not like the first season. It slowly started getting better the second season. I would say it is a good show but not anything to get super excited about.

I'm with you. I almost didn't continue after the first season because I was a little let down. I'm glad I continued, it's a great series.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Middle of Season 2 where Tuco takes them to his Tio.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit the first season twice. By the time we got into it, we binge watched 2 seasons in 24hrs....
The first 2 episodes are horrible, until you get to about the 3rd season, then you WANT to re-watch them.
It wandered a little bit, but always tied things together. You have to watch & pay attention to get a lot of the little things. It's goofy enough to be real, strange enough to be unbelievable.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
First season and a half are slow and I quit once. And then I hated everybody for the last season and a half. In the middle is pretty good but not as good as it was hyped to be imo. No real likeable characters to me. It pales in comparison to most of my favorite HBO shows, to which it was often compared.

Things like the Pontiac Aztek though, are very intentional. They want you to know that this is the most white bread, boring, loser you could ever imagine. The entire point of the show is Walter's transformation.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black92LX full opening post

Finally! I am glad there is at least one person who agrees with me. Similar to you, I just could not get into the show. None of the characters are even remotely likeable, you just don't care to root for them.

In a kinda-sorta similar comparison, it shows you just how brilliant The Godfather 1 and 2 are. Equally 'bad' characters, yet I find myself still pulling for them to succeed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Keep with it.
I too hated the first season and a half.
Then it got to the point where I couldn't stop watching.
My wife and I loved it so much my youngest daughter is named after one of the characters.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I had no interest in BB when I heard the premise, never saw one episode. When AMC ran a full marathon leading up to the finale, I went ahead and recorded it. I particularly didn't like Bryan Cranston and said if he runs around in his tighty whities, I'd give it up. Yep, first episode.

So many less than appealing characters but damn, they found lightning in a bottle. It took just over a week of binge watching, I was hooked big time.

Kind of like telling a joke, never say here's a great one. With all the BB accolades, I can surely understand one going in with a negative attitude. I had either no or bad expectations and now think it's as good as tv gets.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I saw only one episode and did not care for it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
It's like watching skeletons at first....just the framework, the basic bones of the show. After a couple of seasons, the characters are fleshed out and the story arcs that develop with them carry you to places we haven't seen.

Some fascinating flashbacks, the moral crisis', the drifting from what they viewed as their North Star to guide them starts to shift, degree by degree until they wind up quite lost.

Let it soak into your brain a while.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Shakes head.

Your loss, dude.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch it a while back. I didn't even make it through the first scene, I kid you not. First episode, first scene- click.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I was trying to do a cut and paste of all the comments by members but it just ran to long. I too was not interested due to the premise of the movie and my LE background. How can you glorify the drug trade? But, for some reason wife and I watched a season 3 or 4 episode and we were HOOKED. raced home and binged 2-episodes a night starting at season 1 to catch up.

It is the character development and yes, Walters transformation which really manifests itself in the final episode that really makes for a well scripted program. weather you like him/them or not, they all mesh together and it's very entertaining. (I myself can't stand Hank's wife!)

For those that didn't stick with it, please give it a try again. It really does deliver. Remember, their telling a story. Not EVERY episode can be off the chart but as it progresses it all comes together.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite series. As others have pointed out, it starts out slowly and takes awhile for the story line and characters to develop. I didn't start watching until season two was completely over and they started rerunning season one and two which allowed for some binge watching.

I was impressed with Vince Gilligan's attention to detail and his writing staff's ability to mold the story line as the show progressed. Jesse for example I have read, was originally intended as a one or two episode incidental character, but they saw his value as Walter's foil so he evolved into a main character. To me the most annoying character was Skyler during the period when Walter and her were having marital problems-- Like fingernails on a black board. As with most long running series, not every episode was a winner. I absolutely hated "the fly".

I guess it's not for everyone though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I watched every season of Breaking Bad in a span of a few weeks. It started kind of slow but most shows start that way to lay the groundwork. That being said, if I had to wait every week for the next episode I would have given up on it.

As noted before, the transformation of Walter White into Heisenberg is what makes the show a masterpiece. The intricate attention to details made it worthwhile watching as well, especially with Mike and Gus.

FWIW Walter Jr. was one of my favorite characters. They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but in this show the tree picked up and left and the apple is the only thing left as proof that Walter Sr. was once a good man.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's an acquired taste.
Can't wait for the next season of "Better call Saul" to start.
Wonderful spin off.
Truly grateful of seeing both of these shows. Smile

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It's an acquired taste.
Can't wait for the next season of "Better call Saul" to start.
Wonderful spin off.
Truly grateful of seeing both of these shows. Smile

It's funny, because I kind of detested Saul in BB, but decided to give "Better Call Saul" a chance since it was part of the BB world.

Like BB, BCS does have it's pacing issues, but I'm really liking it - almost better than BB I think. I think I'm enjoying the story more since I know where it ultimately goes - i.e. it's the journey vs getting to the end to see what happens with Walter etc.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post