SIGforum
Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7990063624

June 28, 2017, 07:43 AM
parabellum
Breaking Bad. What a crap of a show!! (Finished it STILL CRAP)
Is this subject really something to get upset about? Let's be cool, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
June 28, 2017, 08:33 AM
CoolRich59
Good point - thanks Para.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
June 28, 2017, 09:14 AM
erj_pilot
I have to admit I was one of those BB "late bloomers". Really had no interest in watching it while it was on TV, but I CONTINUALLY heard from folks with which I work how good it was. Just about every one of them said, "The first short season is tough to get through, but it really picks up with Season 2".

I decided to give it a go and they were right...Season 1 sucked baaaaaad. But I persevered, kept going and they were right again....Season 2 started the roller coaster and it was a wild ride from there. Binge-watched the whole series in about 3 weeks on my days off.

The amazing thing out of BB is how "Better Call Saul" was developed. That has also turned into an amazing show and I can guarantee I'll watch BB again from the beginning once the final episode of BCS is over with.

Stick with it, Black92. But I see shades of your getting hooked with your post about Hank. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
June 28, 2017, 12:38 PM
rusbro
Like others in this thread, I stayed away from BB because it features an drug-dealing anti-hero. I didn't think there was any way I could enjoy watching a show that focused on such a person, but boy, was I wrong. What a great show.
June 28, 2017, 02:20 PM
PASig
I didn't have to "gut" anything out with this show; I loved it from the very first episode all the way to the refrain of Badfinger's "Baby Blue" playing...

June 28, 2017, 02:47 PM
rusbro
^^^^ Might want to remove that lil spoiler there.
June 28, 2017, 03:10 PM
ScorpionBoy
spoiler just fucked me. dammit
June 28, 2017, 03:10 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^^ Might want to remove that lil spoiler there.

Alright, alright.

Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking.

June 28, 2017, 03:11 PM
Veeper
I never made it out of the first season.

"Walter, you were an inspiration to me and a huge part of the smarts behind my company. I'd love to offer you a super lucrative job and cover your medical expenses."

"No. I'll do it on my broke-ass own."

Oh FFS. Fuck this noise.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
June 28, 2017, 03:59 PM
davemercer
I stopped watching after a few episodes. Then I came back to show and like others got hooked.

davemercer
June 28, 2017, 04:00 PM
DonDraper
What the heck!?! It's awesome. Some of the best TV ever done.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
June 28, 2017, 04:24 PM
jhe888
It doesn't bother me at all that BB is about a drug dealer. Same as it doesn't bother me that Macbeth is about a regicide. Or that Sweeney Todd is about a serial killer.

I can consume a piece of fiction about a repugnant character without endorsing the character's bad behavior.

That is not to say that you are obliged to do the same. If some conduct is so repulsive to you that even fictional depictions of it are more than you can take, that is fine.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 28, 2017, 06:16 PM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It doesn't bother me at all that BB is about a drug dealer. Same as it doesn't bother me that Macbeth is about a regicide. Or that Sweeney Todd is about a serial killer.

I can consume a piece of fiction about a repugnant character without endorsing the character's bad behavior.

Many of my favorite films have extremely unlikable, unsympathetic main characters. I have no attraction towards any of the main players in Scorsese's Raging Bull or even Goodfellas. Same with The Usual Suspects. Jack Nicholson has made his career playing Grade-A assholes. Throw Travis Bickle in there as well. And tons of other films, including The Godfather.

It is even hard to feel empathetic towards Charles Foster Kane, one of films biggest narcissists.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
June 28, 2017, 06:21 PM
Dead_Eye
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I never made it out of the first season.

"Walter, you were an inspiration to me and a huge part of the smarts behind my company. I'd love to offer you a super lucrative job and cover your medical expenses."

"No. I'll do it on my broke-ass own."

Oh FFS. Fuck this noise.

If you kept watching you'd find out why he feels so strongly about not taking their money.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.
June 28, 2017, 06:59 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
If you kept watching you'd find out why he feels so strongly about not taking their money.
Yeah, if you can just tough it out through Season 8, it all becomes clear. Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
June 28, 2017, 08:34 PM
BRL
Thanks for the reminder it's about time to watch the series for the third time.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

June 28, 2017, 09:56 PM
Dusty78
A lot of times I skip stuff that people love for no good reason. I never watched Lost, Breaking Bad, any of the Harry Potter stuff, no Lord of the rings for me, Game of whatever...nope. I find a lot of people on earth to be morons so that means a lot of morons like that stuff...there is my rationale Smile

June 29, 2017, 12:07 AM
onegeek
Might want to reconsider your superior moral consciousness there, Dusty. Big Grin Antiheros may not be your thing, nor in this case mine, but they make for some of the most compelling drama when well done. [Although I have yet to see a performance of Sweeney Todd that I truly enjoyed. One in particular was so bad that my wife and I still make fun of the lead actor's enunciation many years later.]

As for BB, I know that I've changed my opinion. After watching it, I have to say that I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again. Wink
June 29, 2017, 12:49 AM
DoctorSolo
The cinamatography and editing are very good and the insights into violent people and the consequences of selfish action are exposed in a gritty and often humorous manner.

Im really surprised at the amount of negative feedback to this great series.

To each his own for sure, but there are some truly great moments in this show, and you dont have to tough it out to see it, just watch Walt quit his job at the car wash season 1. Solid gold, especially if you ever watched Malcom in the Middle.
June 29, 2017, 02:55 AM
2010Challenger
I came across BB, and watched the pilot episode and was hooked immediately. I liked the Sopranos, a lot, but it isn't even in the same universe as BB. I have several friends that are retired police or sheriff's deputies and none of them will watch it. They just refuse. Their wives and kids have seen it and try and try to get them to watch it and they seem to have a mental block about watching it, yet they watched The Sopranos without any problems. I just don't get it, but it does amuse me.