SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which is your favorite version?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is your favorite version? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I like the New King James. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
NIV

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm using The Message. But I like NKJV and NASB a lot. NLT is okay, but I'm not as fond of it as I am The Message.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Smile

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've rotated through several translations through the years and I always wonder. If I had a really good understanding of Greek and Hebrew and access to all biblical translation resources, just what would my translation be like? How different or alike to the better modern translations would it be? Its an interesting thing to think about.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NIV

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Any old school independent Baptist preacher will tell you the original KJV is the "only Bible".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nova Vulgata or New American Bible

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Any old school independent Baptist preacher will tell you the original KJV is the "only Bible".

And the one with the most translation errors.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
NIV

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I believe that all translations (not paraphrases) have their strong points. I probably use ESV, NASV, and KJV most.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I'm reading the New English Translation (NET) at this time.

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NLT, I prefer a version I can read and understand without problem. I'm on my third go round, this one chronologically and thoroughly enjoy it.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I like the language of the KJV.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post