SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Introduced my 15 year-old son to The Godfather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Introduced my 15 year-old son to The Godfather Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
The evening went even better than I could have hoped. He shrieked the loudest “NOOO!” when Luca Brotzie was stabbed in the hand and killed, begging for him to get loose and exact his revenge. A similar reaction when Sonny was ambushed at the tollway, and he HATED Carlo...it’s probably the first time he’s seen that level of abuse towards a woman in a movie....it really pissed him off and he kept asking if Michael makes him pay for that.

He actually got choked up a bit when The Don collapsed while playing with his grandson, and he cursed out Fredo for being so weak and not doing more to defend his dad during the initial assassination attempt after The Don says ‘no’ to participating in drugs.

Probably one of my favorite part of the evening was when Sonny interrupted while The Don and The Turk were talking. Mike (my son) yelled at the TV, “Dude! Shut up and listen!” Made me feel like I am teaching him good habits.

He did not believe for a second that Michael was going to send Carlo off to Vegas and we enjoyed a good laugh when Carlo kicked the windshield out.

When the credits rolled he said, “Wonderful movie! (He never says “wonderful”) 10 out of 10!”. I told him that most consider it the greatest movie ever made, he fully agreed with that statement.

Guys, if you ever get the chance to experience a movie like this with someone special for the first time, do it.
Watching and listening to him was almost like experiencing it again for the first time myself.

​Next weekend we will do Part 2. Cannot wait.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the Godfather until I was 30. I don't think I would have really appreciated it or even liked it as a teenager.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Good to know that he appreciates quality. Have a go at Hidden Fortress or Seven Samurai also. A bit of research on fuedal Japan first may be useful to put the social tension in context.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Great story! Like DoveEgg I didn’t see the film until I was an adult. At 15 I don’t think I would have enjoyed it that much.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminding me of how cute and darkly tanned the girl was I took to see it first run. Took her to a Jethro Tull concert too.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father and I watched it when I was around that age as well. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I really appreciated it until later on.

A couple weeks ago I ended up binge watching all three parts over a weekend.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
My father and I watched it when I was around that age as well. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I really appreciated it until later on.

One of the cool parts about being able to watch it from home is that I was able to 'pause' and explain who people were and what was happening. (and why).

I think it really made a difference in his experience. With today's CGI, quick camera movements, and non-stop action I was concerned that he would not get into it.

That he sat mesmerized for 3 hours is a tribute to the brilliant storytelling. He started reading the book this weekend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post