SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why has Netflix cancelled all the Marvel series? Punisher, Jessi a Jones...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has Netflix cancelled all the Marvel series? Punisher, Jessi a Jones... Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Netflix just cancelled the Punisher and Jessica Jones. With those two, all the Marvel series are gone. My wife thinks they will go to a new streaming service, perhaps Disney. Any ideas?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 41 year old son still big into comics agrees with the Disney connection. Disney will have their own streaming service and Marvel will be part of it. I think they also own part of Fox.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Disney is getting there own streaming service so all the Disney owned rights are leaving.

Basically everybody wants their piece of the pie hence the reason both amazon and Netflix have been creating so much of their own content.

Honestly the only way to stop this is for the spin off streaming channels (Disney, CBS all access etc. to fail). But I suspect that a super fragment pay here, pay there is the way of the future.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I read a while back that Tom Hiddleston will reprise his role as Loki in a spin off series that will air on Disney's streaming service. I like Hiddleston and think he did a great job as Loki. I would almost be tempted to subscribe just for him...but we'll see.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Disney owns Marvel and is launching their own service. Netflix doesn't want to air show that promotes a competitor's service. Disney also owns the Star Wars franchise. No future releases will go to Netflix and current releases will disappear once the existing licences expire.

Sadly, I doubt that Disney will be in a hurry to pick up something like Punisher, but I have heard rumors that Hulu (majority owned by Disney) might have interest.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was great when you didn’t have to subscribe to ten different services to view content. I’ll stick with satellite tv and Blu Ray discs. I’m not signing up with a whole mess of shit as these companies act like petulant children.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
After the last couple seasons of both of those shows, cancelling them from negative reviews and lower views wouldnt surprise me either. Although the disney streaming thing has been coming for a while.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Disney owns Marvel and is launching their own service. Netflix doesn't want to air show that promotes a competitor's service. Disney also owns the Star Wars franchise. No future releases will go to Netflix and current releases will disappear once the existing licences expire.

Sadly, I doubt that Disney will be in a hurry to pick up something like Punisher, but I have heard rumors that Hulu (majority owned by Disney) might have interest.

I’ve seen a lot of speculation but this seems to be the most true.

It’s my understanding that these characters are now locked for two to three years but Jeph Loeb just made an announcement about the future of the Defenders. Notice it says something about if the actors schedule will allow which says to me there is a cooling off period on the characters.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/...eph-loeb-pens-letter

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:

I’ve seen a lot of speculation but this seems to be the most true.

It’s my understanding that these characters are now locked for two to three years but Jeph Loeb just made an announcement about the future of the Defenders. Notice it says something about if the actors schedule will allow which says to me there is a cooling off period on the characters.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/...eph-loeb-pens-letter

Disney's streaming service is set to come online later this year. All Disney assets will be pulled from Netflix when that occurs, and possibly other streaming services not aligned with Disney. They're 'taking their toys and going home' essentially. It's no secret they want to dominate the markets, they have no interest in competition. I too have to decide which services I want to spend my hard earned money on; I refuse to have them all or multiple services to fill in the gaps between each other. Either way, I'm sure I'll piss off my family when I start canceling services.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Disney is launching their own service. That is 100% true. I am not going to go into details about how I know...but I know. It isn't really a secret that they are launching their own service, and while I don't think they have officially announced it they might as well have.

The upside, if you consider it an upside, is that Disney owns so much shit that their streaming service will include a lot of content.

I get the concern that this is the beginning of the end and that eventually every studio will have their own streaming service requiring it's own subscription. But I don't think that is the case. Most aren't the powerhouses needed to support their own independent streaming service.

Disney will launch late this year or early next and pricing will likley be in line with Netflix and Amazon, so expect 10-15 a month depending on options. Even if it is 20 and you had Amazon and Netflix you are looking at a total of 45 bucks. When I cancelled DirecTV I was paying 120 IIRC and that didn't include any premium channels.

IMO the amazon add-on channels are the best thing going. About once a year I pay 15 bucks for a months worth of HBO and binge the shows. I might pay for one or two more add-ons for a months time every year to do the same and still save a ton of money over having DirecTV.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While we all know Disney is launching their streaming service sometime later this year, it looks like by cancelling now, Disney can stage a roll-out those characters in 2020-21.

There was an article written back in Dec that got everyone's attention after the cancellation of Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
Don’t Expect ‘The Defenders’ on Disney Streaming Service Any Time Soon (EXCLUSIVE)
quote:
Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. That means that “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” — which were all canceled this year at Netflix — could not come to the Disney streaming service until 2020 at the earliest.

The chances of the shows returning either on their own or as a new installment of “The Defenders” is definitely a long shot, given the time frame. And even if they did go to Disney+ as soon as possible, they would be doing so without “Jessica Jones,” which is set to air its third season on Netflix sometime in 2019. If that show is canceled, which now seems likely but is by no means a guarantee, it could not go elsewhere until 2021.

Marvel and Netflix declined to comment.

Then there is “The Punisher,” a Marvel-Netflix show that was not part of the deal that spawned “The Defenders.” “The Punisher” stars Jon Bernthal, who first played the gun-toting vigilante in “Daredevil” Season 2 before the character was spun off into his own show. It was revealed on Wednesday that the second season of “The Punisher” will debut in January. Given that “The Punisher” did not fall under the original deal, the show’s fate beyond Season 2 is unknown at this time.

Fans of the Marvel shows were shocked when Netflix began canceling them, particularly “Daredevil,” which drew strong critical praise for its third season. The streaming giant and the comic book-based entertainment studio had signed the deal to produce the four shows back in November 2013, with “Daredevil” being the first to premiere in April 2015.

The deal called for the development of four original live-action series, which would then culminate in the miniseries event “The Defenders,” which ended up airing in 2017. However, Disney announced its plans for Disney+ in 2017, with the intent being to make it a hub for everything under the Disney umbrella, which includes Marvel.

The soon-to-be-streaming giant has already lined up several original shows, including limited series centered on the Marvel Cinematic Universe characters Loki, Scarlet Witch, and Falcon and the Winter Solider. Disney+ will also be home to the live-action “Star Wars” shows “The Mandalorian” starring Pedro Pascal and a Cassian Andor series, with Diego Luna reprising his role from “Rogue One.”

Would be interesting to know some of the clauses and caveats. Who determines what can air and what can't? Punisher season-2 just came out, does Disney have the rights to pull the plug even though Netflix has the right to air the content?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sad, I've seen them all.
One of the best reasons to watch Netflix.
Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post