Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Deer Hunter Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Great film to me, and a classic. Outstanding storytelling.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
It is odd that they filmed a large portion in Pa, WV, and OH, but the hunting scenes seem to have been filmed in Washington State.

yep after making it through that loooooong wedding scene and them just being stupid drunk they go hunting and I'm thinking how in the world did they drive all the way out to Washington state?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
This is one of the things I appreciate about sigforum.

I've tried a number of times to watch this "classic" film. It's unbearable and boring. This from someone who enjoys long movies. I'm glad to know others agree.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Up until this year I was like you. Only seen parts of it now and then. I too put it on my DVR and was rather disappointed in this movie. I know it was a statement movie which is fine. But I don't know what makes it a cinema masterpiece.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Given a choice, I'd rather sit through Apocalypse Now.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I wonder how DiNiro got away with a Goatee in the Special Forces?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I wonder how DiNiro got away with a Goatee in the Special Forces?

Y'all keep reminding me of these things that bothered me in the movie.... DiNiro having a beard and never taking his uniform off when he came home...

When my father USMC was coming home from Korea after him and his buddies walked out of a reservoir way up north they were required to shave before getting off the ship.. many of them had grown beards... one guy in his company said he was not going to shave his beard and he had a way of getting out of it.... got in a fight with some sailer and then had his whole head bandaged up...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've not seen a movie, save documentaries, that don't have inconsistencies such as those sited. It happens and we just acknowledge something's not quite right and move on with the story line. IMO The Deer Hunter was a good movie. Not great but it had something to say. It drifted from blue collar PA to the Vietnam which might have been done better and was quite depressing in most parts. Still, it was a movie we still talk about today... see this thread.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm native to Western Pennsylvania. The movie I did not care for to the point of dislike. That's my view point as a Marine veteran of Viet-Nam.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed this movie and find it to be excellent story telling.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Never got this movie out of my head...and I'm 63 years old now. A classic tale to me.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie, not as a whole but, various scenes I thought were done well; it is lengthy and the plot arc disjointed. The ending scene I would tear-up, a scene like that in today's films would get panned with snarky, cynical, condescending comments.

The period was the 70's, it was a depressing time across the country. Small towns anchored by a big factory or, mill was all that most of these places had. This town was Russian/East European immigrants, it was a group of friends who weren't exactly a bunch of sophisticates. There's a number of inaccuracies but, it doesn't overwhelm the movie.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I'm gonna go against the general grain here, I thought it was a great movie. I could identify with the insecurities of the characters, the frustrations, the hopelessness at times. I think that from my standpoint the director just kinda slowed it down to let you wallow in the crappy feelings for a while (yes, perhaps too long).

I like it and watch it when it comes on.

Always one of my top 5 of allll time. It was even better after a couple of bourbon shots after the "Fuck It" scene in the bar while the wedding is going on.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I thought the film was decent, not a masterpiece as it was thought to be at the time, I guess it did win Best Picture. I thought Apocalypse Now was a far superior film and I still think so. Michael Cimino was like a 1970s Orson Welles; became successful at an early stage of his career, then blows it all with Heaven's Gate, destroying his reputation. Clint Eastwood made the guy's career; after co-writing Magnum Force, Cimino is hired by Clint to direct Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and then he follows it with The Deer Hunter.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I do have to say the "F##k it" scene in the bar during the wedding has got to be one of the best 'foreboding scenes' there ever was.... simple and to the point about where they were going....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My favorite early De Niro movie is Taxi Driver. That was some messed up stuff going on there, like the end where the guy gets his fingers shot off by him. Whoa. Eek

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
that shoot out in Taxi Driver was the most violent scene I'd ever seen in a movie and it was a long time before I ever saw anything even close...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"