Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Deer Hunter Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I've seen parts of this movie in passing over the years but never tried to watch the whole thing.... So it was on a channel over the weekend with no commercials and I recorded it and watched it yesterday... Because it is a classic I forced my self to make it all the way through.... what idiot decided that thing needed to be over 3 hours long? I know it might be sacralidge but I just don't get what was so great about that movie... convoluted, disjointed and very hard to identify with any of the guys... If for no other reason them going hunting and being drunk and stupid... along with that I'm supposed to believe DeNero's character can shoot a buck that's on the run with a fast standing shot?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a complicated movie. It helps to have been a blue collar worker and living in the time of the Vietnam war, being subject to the draft. Three hours is a long movie. Not everyone likes epics. Saw it first in 1978.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of epics, war films, classic films, and epic classic war films.

However, I share your sentiment. I think it's highly overrated.

(But sure, it would "resonate" more with someone who had lived through the period in a similar situation. Naturally.)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director Michael Cimino skyrocketed to fame after that movie.

...then he made "Heaven's Gate."

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I watched it "in it's time" and thought it was too long back then too.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I didn't like it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38643 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I saw this when it came out and it just didn't do anything for me. Long and boring except for the Vietnam scenes.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Agree with most of the above. I was of an age the film should have resonated but it didn't.
FWIW Although pretty early in his career, DeNiro already had some big credits under his belt -- "Mean Streets", "The Godfather", "Taxi Driver" -- but he was out of place and unconvincing in "The Deer Hunter". Not the least of the film's problems but yeah, there are a lot better things to do with your three hours.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
About the only part I cared for was the Russian Roulette scene.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It plays like a 3 hour long fever dream.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'll echo pretty much everything already said. It was "meh"...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it on the big screen. When DeNiro capped the Cong in the Russian roulette scene, the entire theater cheered!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
The buildup to 'Nam was too long.
A depressing movie, but there was some good acting.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna go against the general grain here, I thought it was a great movie. I could identify with the insecurities of the characters, the frustrations, the hopelessness at times. I think that from my standpoint the director just kinda slowed it down to let you wallow in the crappy feelings for a while (yes, perhaps too long).

I like it and watch it when it comes on.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Glad somebody liked it.. to each their own... interesting part is the actor John Cazale was diving from lung cancer.

One mistake I saw and can't believe they did not fix... in the River scene where the helicopter comes to pull them off that bridge... they pick up one guy and leave the other two and then show the helicopter going up river and two guys are hanging off of the rails.. then it comes back picks them up and shows them hanging off the rails again...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
And what that red stag was doing in Pennsylvania we'll never know. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I was too young during Vietnam to be able to appreciate the atmosphere of the time, but I do fully understand the need to cut loose and just have some fun now and then. I agree though that the lead up to their departure for the war was a little overly protracted. But overall I like the movie and watch it whenever it comes on.

Slight drift, I saw another movie the other day about the aftermath of guys returning from Vietnam, called Jacknife. It was made about 10 years after Deer Hunter and had DeNiro and Ed Harris in it. It was pretty good.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
And what that red stag was doing in Pennsylvania we'll never know. Big Grin

+1. While many of the scenes did a fair job of capturing the working class steel culture, the mountainous hunting scenes bear little resemblance to W. Pennsylvania.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:...
A depressing movie....

It was a depressing time of life.
Even though there was a lot of "good times", Vietnam, the draft, the hate, conflict and turmoil of the time, the Cold War and The Bomb as well as much uncertainty and the change was all palpable.

This movie brings (and brought) that to you, much as it felt even then.

Yes, it (and other films) are often hard to watch.

But, it also is a contrast to the things I have added in my life over the years, to "season" it, and I find I am richer and fortunate for all of it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43866 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
It is odd that they filmed a large portion in Pa, WV, and OH, but the hunting scenes seem to have been filmed in Washington State.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post