SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Fatigue?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Fatigue? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:

If you think there’s SW fatigue, how come there’s not Marvel fatigue? Hell, they put out three times as many Marvel movies as SW.

There is. I quit seeing the Marvel films in theaters after Ragnacock. The campy humor and extremely poor writing was bye bye for me. If Disney is putting it out then fuck it. They aren’t getting my money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure if it’s Star Wars fatigue as much as it is people wising up and expecting a decent story as opposed to just accepting anything with Star Wars in the name. The Mandalorian, Rouge One, and the old Clone Wars cartoon series show there is still a place for SW, if the story is done right. Solo and The Last Jedi didn’t get much love because the stories sucked. I’ll bet the new SW movie makes a lot of money, but it will be mostly because people have already invested all the time in all of the previous movies and just want to see how it ends, not because a lot of people will think it’s a great movie. I suspect that not only will this movie finally end the Skywalker Saga, but it will also kill any new Poe/Finn/Rey movies. That part of the SW universe is dead.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
What he said above.

Rebels was also very good.

I’ll add that folks are getting tired of being preached to or told x movie will have y in it not because of story but because of forced inclusivity or agenda.

I don’t care about the race, religion, sexual orientation or sex of any characters in a given story I only care that they are there to add to and be a real natural part of a well told and or fun story. Drives me insane and I believe does a disservice to all when you watch something that looks like some lawyer or SJW had a form with .....

Gay character check
Black dude check
Muslim wheel chair bound Native American. Check
Etc.

Speaking of Marvel Black Panther is a good example of where I feel characters were generally done right. It’s not my favorite Marvel film but both Shuri and Okoye NEVER felt like we need a strong woman check box but were just damn good characters that I would love to see in a spin off film.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Folks, Disney purchased Lucas Films for $4 billion. So of course they have to crank films out to recover their costs.

Lets not forget, three of the six films in the Original Star Wars franchise were turkeys...

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody has a problem with them cranking out movies. Destroying the characters and shoving their political nonsense into a space cowboy movie us where they lose the viewers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Nobody has a problem with them cranking out movies. Destroying the characters and shoving their political nonsense into a space cowboy movie us where they lose the viewers.

I was just thinking today on the drive into work how they ruined Luke Skywalker's character. He was defined in the original trilogy as an optimistic youth with unerring faith in peoples' ability for good.

In the last movie, he became a bitter old man full of hate and cynicism. Yes, this is a credible scenario, as many people in the real world go this way, but it ruined his character for me.

In Jedi, he stuck with his belief that Vader could turn to good when nobody else did (not even Yoda and/or Obi Wan). In the last one, they showed him trying to MURDER his nephew because Kylo had just a tad bit of darkness in him. Then he told Rey to shove it when she came to him desperate for help, further jerk-ifying his character.

They blew an excellent opportunity for Luke to be Luke.

As for the rumors of a 'love story' between Finn and Po - I think that would ruin the franchise and turn a LOT of people off for good. Hopefully, Disney realizes the franchise needs to be their cash cow/golden goose (due to the ridiculous amount they paid for it and how they seem to have tied their future to it), so they might not go "Full SJW" on this one. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
^ This was discussed at work on some down time. (holidays slowing work down)

The millennial was saying how much he "loved" the last Rian Johnson pos. I made mention of Luke being a pussy and you know it's bad when Luke Skywalker is milking alien tattays. He was adamant about them showing Luke being a normal guy, how much he loved the film and how much he is looking forward to this new film. I didn't say anything further as I didn't want to hurt buttercup's feelings. Never has the disconnect been this great between generations. Maybe Luke will come back in this new film and have a gay Jedi lover.

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
We're fatigued mainly because we're getting older.

These are kids films. When they show up while we are kids they are great, otherwise not so much.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The millennial was saying how much he "loved" the last Rian Johnson pos.

How old is this "millenial?" Because I'm closer to 37 than 36 and I fucking hated it. I'm technically a "millenial" and I'm kinda getting tired of getting grouped in with everyone under 30. There's another generation or two that have been born by "millenials." I have a highschool classmate who is a grandma. She worked hard at it early, but yeah.

As for what I thought of the film, well, they turned Luke Skywalker into a raging pussy in that movie and shit all over my childhood because "smash the white male patriarchy" and purple hair and don't even get me started on Rose and Finn and Poe.... Mary Sue incarnate isn't even worth mentioning by her character name.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

How old is this "millenial?"

Early to mid 30's. And goes to see all this shit opening night as well as the Marvel films.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Damn. Well, honestly, I don't really identify with the folks even a few years younger than me. The brainwashing started hard when I was a kid and the ones a few years younger only got stronger doses of it. My younger sister, and my sisters-in-law are a lost cause to the progressive end of things.

I want to address the "kid films" point that apprentice brought up: Today's kids aren't really liking the content. Disney has reportedly been warehousing tons of unsold merchandise that they were really counting on selling. It's just not reaching today's kids. And honestly, part of that may be that folks like me who were looking forward to raising our kids with a new generation of Star Wars films are so disgusted that we're not encouraging the fascination with an alternate sci-fi universe, we're directing their attention away. It's the parents and grandparents that buy the merchandise, not the children. And make no mistake, this franchise was built solidly on merchandising. In fact, Lucas gets a 25% cut of every piece of merchandise from any character based in his original series. That's why C-3PO has a red arm, and may explain why Disney was so desperate to limit the screen time of, or kill off all the original characters. He did it with Fox, and he did it with Disney, and that's how he built his fortune: merchandising rights.

My son has seen all of the original films, and the prequels, and The Clone Wars. He hasn't seen "The Force Awakens" because I immediately deemed patricide to be too deep a topic to try to explain to him and it was just a much darker tone overall. They only got darker and more depressing for me after that. So he knows who Kylo Ren and BB-8 are because his grandparents got him a fleece blanket with the former on it and a little plush toy of the latter.

That my son has any Star Wars merchandise is purely on his grandparents at this point. We've had toy lightsaber duels all over the house, even as recently as a few days ago, but my interest has been more or less burnt out because of what they're trying to turn the franchise into. I'm not burnt out on Star Wars because I'm "fatigued" or "getting older." I'm burnt out on Star Wars because I don't want to show these "kid films" to my kid and have him growing up thinking Admiral Purple Hair had any fucking business in charge simply because "trust women" when she arguably killed off her entire fleet. And that's just the first example that comes to mind.

We're not fatigued with Star Wars. We are fatigued with shitty writing and plotline via focus group responses to each scene. The saddest thing in life is wasted potential.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My daughter was asking why I haven't seen the new one. "Because I saw Episode IV in the theater as an eight year old with my dad."

Later she told me "you probably wont like it and I understand why you haven't seen it."

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post