SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Fatigue?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Fatigue? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I texted a group of friends of mine, we go each opening night to see the new Star Wars movies and spinoffs Like Rogue One and have been since The Force Awakens.

Not a one of them was interested in going this time to see The Rise of Skywalker! Confused

I think we have finally reached Star Wars burnout and a lot of people hated 2017's The Last Jedi which didn't help.

I guess I'll go with family maybe or wait till the DVD or on-demand comes out.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
It’s not helping Disney that people are literally walking out of the test screenings flipping the bird to the handlers at the theaters. RoS is already in serious trouble.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No such thing.

Its suck ass shitty movie fatigue.

Disney cant have it both ways.. whaaa whaaa people have Star Wars fatigue, but we will make Star Wars the major cornerstone of launching our new streaming service. Huh?

And the Mandalorian is loved by most, the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons were pretty well received as well. Because they didn't suck and piss on everything Star Wars is.

That is all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Definitely. Once Disney bought the franchise, they started cranking out Star Wars movies as fast as they could make them.

The point was made in a Wall Street Journal article recently. From 1977 to 2012 -- a 35 year period -- there were six Star Wars movies. In the five years since Disney's purchase, there have been five.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I texted a group of friends of mine, we go each opening night to see the new Star Wars movies and spinoffs Like Rogue One and have been since The Force Awakens. Not a one of them was interested in going this time to see The Rise of Skywalker! Confused

I totally get the Star Wars burnout, but it seems that since you guys have seen all the others, it's a shame to skip this one, since this one supposedly completes the third trilogy as well as the Trilogy trilogy. I think you should "force" everyone to go (pun intended), just to arrive at a suitable ending point.

I haven't seen a Star Wars film in the theater since The Force A-sleepens, but I admit I will still see all the Fast and the Furious movies in the theater, spin-offs not included. I have also burned out on that series, but that's one where I'm like, "Well, I've come this far, might as well keep going."

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
It’s not helping Disney that people are literally walking out of the test screenings flipping the bird to the handlers at the theaters. RoS is already in serious trouble.

They could send me a $100 gift certificate straight from Disney if I'd go see it and I'd say no. They ruined it, period. When your films are so bad they make the prequels look like masterpieces something is rotten on Tatooine. Fuck Disney and the franchise. And I can't stand JJ, hate his directing. He's back at the wheel so it'll go right over the fucking cliff in quality. This is millennial Star Wars, complete with SJW themes. They can have it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I totally get the Star Wars burnout, but it seems that since you guys have seen all the others, it's a shame to skip this one, since this one supposedly completes the third trilogy as well as the Trilogy trilogy.

A bad movie can also ruin the trilogy. I have yet to see Godfather 3.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last 2 Star Wars movies were bad. I am not sure how they think this last one will save it. There was a lot of wasted scenes in the last two, in my opinion, just for the sake of adding characters. I liked Rogue One, as it tied the two generations together but the last couple have been horror shows and didn't even feel like they were part of the series.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well... they lost me about a half hour into The Phantom Menace. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Force Awakens and Rouge One (yeah, I know it's 'Rogue,' but it's been mis-spelled so often I enjoy saying it this way). Solo was meh. I've only seen Solo once, though I own the DVD. Ep 8 SUCKED so bad, but I still watch it from time to time (I'm weird).

I don't have 'Star Wars Fatigue.' I would actually argue that there is NO SUCH THING at this point. They are blaming the reaction to sucky films on us, the viewers. Hey, Disney - if you want us to get excited about and watch your films, then spend more than $100 and a drunken weekend on the writing. And, maybe find a director that doesn't crap all over the franchise (I'm talking about YOU, Rian Johnson!).

I'll go see Ep 9, though I expect it to be bad (like I said, I'm weird). I've seen every Star Wars (except Solo; I've decided that one doesn't count for some reason) in the theater since I saw Return of the Jedi in 1983, and it will give me something to do on Christmas break.

I'll be here in 2 weeks to post to the inevitable Ep 9 thread to criticize the heck out of it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Same here. A friend and I have been going to see them in the theater for years and we have not even discussed going to see RoS. Its not due to burn out, its because the last few have just sucked.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I don't have 'Star Wars Fatigue.' I would actually argue that there is NO SUCH THING at this point. They are blaming the reaction to sucky films on us, the viewers. Hey, Disney - if you want us to get excited about and watch your films, then spend more than $100 and a drunken weekend on the writing. And, maybe find a director that doesn't crap all over the franchise (I'm talking about YOU, Rian Johnson!).

word!

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
No, not "Star Wars Fatigue" it is "Shitty Star Wars Fatigue"

Tired of the bullshit Disney is peddling.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
No, not "Star Wars Fatigue" it is "Shitty Star Wars Fatigue"

Tired of the bullshit Disney is peddling.

Amen!!!! The Mandalorian has proven all the stuff about Star Wars fatigue is crap. A good story is what people want. From what I have seen on youtube by people I trust, I am not hopeful about this upcoming Star Wars movie....the same suspects who screwed the pooch on the last two are still involved. There have been a bunch of stuff on multiple re-shoots resulting int multiple drastic story changes. Even some of the actors aren't too happy about this one.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The public would easily consume a well written Star Wars genre movie every year if it was available.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The public would easily consume a well written Star Wars genre movie every year if it was available.

Exactly.

Figure that roughly three episodes of Game of Thrones was a movie, and people couldn't get enough. For several seasons spanning several years.

These movies are just so bad. Soooo bad. I have zero interest in seeing the latest movie, zero.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
No such thing.

Its suck ass shitty movie fatigue.

Disney cant have it both ways.. whaaa whaaa people have Star Wars fatigue, but we will make Star Wars the major cornerstone of launching our new streaming service. Huh?

And the Mandalorian is loved by most, the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons were pretty well received as well. Because they didn't suck and piss on everything Star Wars is.

That is all

I’ve said something similar in another thread.

If you think there’s SW fatigue, how come there’s not Marvel fatigue? Hell, they put out three times as many Marvel movies as SW.

I’m sitting out this movie until I can see it for free but I can’t wait to sit down tonight to watch today’s episode of the Mandalorian.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
These movies are just so bad. Soooo bad. I have zero interest in seeing the latest movie, zero.
Yeah Ep 1-3 were bad, but they look GOOD compared to Ep 7-8/9.

Rogue One really broke the curve for the new genre; a classic Star Wars story which didn't have to inject SJW shit or try to explain everything... sometimes plot holes are good...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've enjoyed them all, to one degree or another. With us it's more a case of antipathy towards Disney due to their pulling content from existing streaming services in order to force people onto their service. So now, when we see something advertised and realize it's a Disney property, instead of going "Cool!," we go "Oh. Disney. Never mind."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t really add to most of this.

SW fatigue is spin. Pure, 100%, Disney manufactured spin because admitting that get woke go broke exists would cause a disturbance in the Force of massive proportions.

I would watch good SW every single year.

I never thought I could hate a character more than JarJar. Then Disney staid hold my beer. And foisted Rose on us. And the possibility of Finn and Poe being lovers. Wtf? Why? Also why, as in why would Rey the actress call Trump supporters not sane?

They can’t quit stepping on their own dick.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post