SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trekkies...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trekkies... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So if they have replicators, after something like the Borg war why can't they just use a giant replicator and spit out new ships?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Whatever the replicator makes, has to fit inside the replicator. So how do you make the really big replicator? Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They can build space stations, they should be able to build a giant replicator

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
If they have the power to replicate ships, would they even need ships?

... or so I read once. The Star Trek writers felt replication at this scale would require immense energy. This energy would allow other modes of travel and defense beyond what can be accomplished with a star ship.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
They can build space stations, they should be able to build a giant replicator

Not quickly enough when you're dealing with a Borg war. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
If they have the power to replicate ships, would they even need ships?

Okay, unrelated but you reminded me of RVB...
"So I say to the guy, "How're you gonna get the tank down to the planet?" And he goes, "I'll just put it on the ship," and I go, "If you've got a ship that can carry a tank, why not just put guns on the ship and use it instead?"

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad they finally (even though it was on the Holodeck) used a projectile weapon against the Borg!

Replicate some projectile weapons and see if the Borg can adapt to that.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Instead of firing torpedoes, why not transport them inside enemy vessels and detonate? No cure for male pattern baldness in the 24th century?

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I'm just glad they finally (even though it was on the Holodeck) used a projectile weapon against the Borg!

Yes, always wondered why they didn't bring back bullets. How does a Borg adapt to a nice .45 coming at them? And why can't old fashioned sonar find a cloaked ship?

And if you had a holodeck with replicators in it why would you ever come out?

Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Sonar?

I think Radar maybe...

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
So if they have replicators, after something like the Borg war why can't they just use a giant replicator and spit out new ships?

Probably because of the size/rating of the Power Flux Conduit connection needed to run it!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Instead of firing torpedoes, why not transport them inside enemy vessels and detonate?

You can't transport through shields.

(Well, unless the writers need a convenient plot hole to make their story work, in which case you can. Occasionally.)

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It used to drive me crazy that once they figured out a way to transport inside the Borg ship they didn't beam a few nuclear warheads inside. And just like in the Star Wars universe, why haven't they figured out that you could attach a warp drive to a truck sized asteroid and completely annihilate practically any target.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is actually an interesting topic. there are a few sci-fi novels that touch on this. John Ringo's hot gate, and Dennis E. Taylor's We Are Legion (We are Bob) series.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of firing torpedoes, why not transport them inside enemy vessels and detonate?

(Well, unless the writers need a convenient plot hole to make their story work, in which case you can. Occasionally.)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to feel a little ill, but they did do that for Voyager's Dark Frontier. Although in that case, they surprised a Borg Cylinder (call it a transport) by having a decoy beam a torpedo inside. Blew it to pieces, except the goal was to heavily disable it so they could steal transwarp parts to get home. Oops...

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

(Well, unless the writers need a convenient plot hole to make their story work, in which case you can. Occasionally.)

I'm going to feel a little ill, but they did do that for Voyager's Dark Frontier. Although in that case, they surprised a Borg Cylinder (call it a transport) by having a decoy beam a torpedo inside. Blew it to pieces, except the goal was to heavily disable it so they could steal transwarp parts to get home. Oops...[/QUOTE]

Or unless you have a crappy director who suddenly decides to jump a ship through a star destroyer. Yeah wrong fan base, but given current directors talent levels, i would rather watch a kinder garden plays.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post