SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
You can download the beta on PlayStation now and it’ll be live for a couple days. I loved Wildlands so I’m hoping for another hit with this one.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I’ve played through Wildlands twice. The second time was to unlock weapons and cosmetics for Breakpoint. But there are a lot of changes to this new game that will make it significantly more difficult than the previous one. There have already been complaints of the bullet sponge drone tanks. I’m still interested in it, but I’m not pre-ordering it or playing the beta. I’ll wait for reviews of the full release.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I started playing the game this weekend. It’s extremely confusing after coming from Wildlands. They’ve really put an emphasis on this being a multiplayer game. The main base where you go to customize your loadout is a multiplayer zone where you can see other players and interact with them, if you want. Luckily, once you leave the base, you’re in a single-player environment again.

I need to research whether you find teammates who will join you through the game, but for now I’m playing solo. It can have its drawbacks but there’s equipment in the game which makes it easier for solo engagements with the enemy.

I’m not a fan of the map or the quest tracker. This is the part of the game that truly frustrates me. The quest tracker provides too much text info while the map provides only the bare minimum of feedback.

Another thing that is annoying is that my character moves as if he’s always injured even though he seems to be fully healed. He limps and hangs one arm loosely by his side when walking around. I had assumed you’d only be affected by injuries sustained during fights or falls. It seems to be a constant, though.

The sound design is phenomenal, though. When stuff explodes, you can really feel it.

Enemy AI is as much of a pain in this game as it was in the previous. I’ll start sniping individuals from a mountaintop 500 meters away and as soon as the enemy realizes it, they still know where to go to engage you. And it seems like every base has a mortar because that’s the first thing they engage with as cover for their troops.

I played for several hours so I know there’s a lot more to be learned. I like it enough to continue playing but also dislike several aspects of it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I bought the full game because I liked Wildlands and everything Orguss said is true. I don’t get online with the PlayStation and that’s the platform I bought this on.

I’ve been playing solo also and I took down a base and met with the person I was supposed to get to safety and died getting her out from one of the bigg bosses in the game. When I respawned, the base was full of the initial enemies again despite the game was in the middle of my interaction with her. Sigh... Mad

Edit: I participated in a survey yesterday and stated some of my dissatisfaction with the bugs and such and got a response that they were working hard to fix the game and they said AI teammates were coming for people like me that play solo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gibby29,

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Having played for several more hours, I'm starting to understand the quest tracker and map a little bit more. My big gripe now is the item level system. This is something Wildlands didn't have. You picked a weapon loadout and it got you through the game. With Breakpoint, item level is emphasized in order to complete missions. This means you can't pick a loadout and stick with it. You're either constantly swapping your loadout with various weapons that you might never have wanted to use, or you spend a lot of in-game currency buying the specific weapons you prefer at the weapon shop, hoping that you get one with good attributes. It's annoying.

I've seen the update notes regarding a variety of topics and issues with the game, among them the lack of AI teammates. I really don't like that Ubisoft wanted people to play multiplayer so they left out the AI teammates. Now that people have forced them to reconsider the feature, I just know it's going to be implemented poorly. And, really, by the time they're added, everyone who chooses not to play in multiplayer modes will have grown accustomed to playing the game solo.