SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Way Back (2010) - A Hidden Gem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Way Back (2010) - A Hidden Gem Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I just finished watching a movie and can finally say, "At last - a movie worth watching!"

So, maybe I missed it when it debuted in 2010, but this Peter Weir-directed movie has all the right stuff for me: great character development, terrific scenery, a solid soundtrack that enhances but doesn't overwhelm, and a cast that can really act!

Ed Harris, a four-time Oscar nominee, and Colin Ferrell, are the "names" in the cast, but they don't overshadow the others, who are part of a multinational ensemble. Weir, himself a six-time Oscar nominee, put together a movie that for all intents and purposes, flew under the radar. It received an Oscar nomination for Best Makeup, but other film associations also gave it nominations for best score, best supporting actor (Ferrell) and Best Actress (Saoirse Ronan).

Based on a true story, the book "The Long Walk: A True Story of a Trek to Freedom" by Slawomir Rawicz, is the story of a group of men who escape the Soviet Gulag and literally walk 4,000 miles from Siberia to India. The introduction to the movie begins with the written comment, "In 1941, three men walked out of the Himalayas into India. They had survived a 4000 mile walk to freedom. This film is dedicated to them."

I enjoyed it. Two hours, 13 minutes. On Hulu, and Prime.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it. It’s worth a view.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Yeah great movie. I saw it about 5 years ago and also wondered how I missed it when it came out.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Rawicz claimed to have seen a group of yeti in the Himalayas.

Great story.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, especially citing source availability.

Good flick.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was outstanding. Highest recommendation.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post