SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any good podcasts you would recommend?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any good podcasts you would recommend? Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
There's of course the Adam Carolla Show, along with the whole pantheon of podcasts from Carolla Digital, got one about building houses, another on racing/cars, the Adam and Dr. Drew Show, Reasonable Doubt with Mark Geragos.

Beyond that, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is pretty good if you like history. Just stumbled on one called Eastern Border by a guy in Latvia that focuses on the history of the Soviet Union. It's a bit more low budget, being essentially a guy in his livingroom with a pile of books.

I used to be a daily listener but the quality of the ACS has really gone downhill...Adam seems angry all the time and not in a funny way and Gina is torture on the ears with her noises and idiotic comments.

Ace Man is a rich white dude living in southern California, you'd be angry all the time too.

But yeah, Gina Grad I am not a fan of. She's not a bad person or anything, I just sort of get a "ME TOO!" vibe from her comments, that one dude's girlfriend who has to be there, and tries to be one of the guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Hey do you remember for movies. I found Science Fiction film podcast to be good depending on which of the hosts are participating. If you like fantasy football the Fantasy Footballers are good and just plain fun to listen to. I havent found a shooting podcast thats truly done it for me yet.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jocko Podcast, Joe Rogan and Tim Ferris are very long so, if you've got some long drives ahead or, need some air filler, not to mention the good content, give them a try. I don't listen to every episode but, the ones I've heard I've enjoyed.

John Batchelor Show- More conservative current news, also does book reviews, space exploration and military news.
Freakanomics- Author of the best selling book puts their economic googles on for more studies and guests...left leaning.
Midrats- Navy bloggers discuss maritime security issues
Dan Carlin has three podcasts now: Hardcore History is his most popular, its a deep dive into history; Common Sense is his take on current events; and his newest is Hardcore History Addendum which is historical odds/ends.
SOFREP Radio- Podcast extension of the website, special operations news and special interests.
FieldCraft Survival- Two former SF talk about a variety of topics and how-to issues.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Federalist Radio Hour

The Cato Daily Podcast

Three Martini Lunch

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I listen to ACS. Love Gina Grad's laugh. A number of Avalanche specific podcasts. Mike Rowe. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Keven Pollack's Chat Show when they hava a guest that interests me. Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Reasonable Doubt. Submarine Sea Stories. The Ben Shapiro Show. The Remnant. The Nerdist when they have a guest that interests me. The Jay and Dan Podcast. Going to try Sports? With Katie Nolan.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Renegade Radio with Jason Ferruggia, Order of Man, Onnit Podcast, TED Talks Daily, Internal Fighting Arts.

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Cazbecast

Search that title on ITunes or goggle.

Steve Czaban is a sports talk radio host who has been on fox sports radio and Sirius XM. He covers sports, life, electronics, has a great take on sports and current events.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I listen to The Ben Shapiro Show and The Reason Podcast daily.

I also like The Rubin Report, and The Waking Up Podcast (Sam Harris). I don't agree with Harris on issues of politics, and nobody else here will either, for the most part, but he has some really interesting conversations regarding religion, morals, the mind, AI, and stuff like that. He's got a great command of the language and an exceptional ability to explain and illustrate ideas, IMO. He's criticisms of Islam is central to my current position on the matter.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Tagging for later. Just subscribed to Drinkin' Bros and it's hilarious.

These guys make my commute bearable!!!

I tried it but it just didn’t grab me

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
For those interested in national security/ foreign policy issues I'd recommend trying Target America/ The National Security Podcast, by JJ Green. I recently caught a radio interview with him and was impressed enough that I listened to one of his recent podcasts regarding the U.S. diplomats in Cuba that have reportedly been attacked with a sonic device and found it interesting.

I could do without the overly dramatic intro music and voice, but as far as the actual guests that Green is able to interview and the content itself, I think it is worth the time to listen.

https://www.podcastone.com/target-usa-podcast-by-wtop

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Jocko Podcast, Joe Rogan and Tim Ferris are very long so, if you've got some long drives ahead or, need some air filler, not to mention the good content, give them a try. I don't listen to every episode but, the ones I've heard I've enjoyed.

John Batchelor Show- More conservative current news, also does book reviews, space exploration and military news.
Freakanomics- Author of the best selling book puts their economic googles on for more studies and guests...left leaning.
Midrats- Navy bloggers discuss maritime security issues
Dan Carlin has three podcasts now: Hardcore History is his most popular, its a deep dive into history; Common Sense is his take on current events; and his newest is Hardcore History Addendum which is historical odds/ends.
SOFREP Radio- Podcast extension of the website, special operations news and special interests.
FieldCraft Survival- Two former SF talk about a variety of topics and how-to issues.

I've become a big fan of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts and am trying to work my way through them. I've read the Freakanomics book and really enjoyed it, I wasn't aware there was a podcast but I'll be giving it a try.

As far as John Batchelor goes, I haven't caught a podcast by him, but I have listened to his radio show and have a "love/hate" thing for his programs. Although not always so, he does frequently bring on some really interesting authors and guests on a variety of topics that I enjoy learning about. I particularly liked his shows on the Donner Party, MacArthur, the former NASA engineer, the true originator of "moving pictures" and the survivor from the Hiroshima atomic blast. As you mentioned, everything from history to music to science and space exploration. I generally like his guests well enough, but Batchelor himself annoys the hell out of me because he frequently first prompts his guests on a question regarding their book or topic, but then hurriedly interrupts them and tells a long portion of the story himself, frequently cutting off the guests and their explanations. Also, he has a penchant for playing incredibly dramatic musical pieces as intros and exits to the show during commercial breaks and while I don't mind most of the music he allows the music to overlap the actual interview and it plays over the conversation between him and his guest frequently for a couple minutes, preventing me from hearing what is being said...

... are his podcasts the same way?

Also, I can't quite get a bead on what his political leanings are, I've caught some programs in which he seems to lean Right and others in which he seems to lean Left. He seems to morph into adapting what the topic of the book and the author believe.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I listen to a lot of podcasts, almost universally in the history or religious genres. My favorites are:
- Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. Dan only comes out with a new show about every 6 months, but they're typically 4+ hours long and well worth the wait. There's enough of an archive out there to keep you listening for months or years before you get caught up.
- American History Tellers by Lindsay Graham (not the Senator). Very high production value (produced by Wondery), great at putting you in the moment in history.
- Revolutions by Mike Duncan. In-depth discussions of some of the important revolutions in history. I started with the English Civil War, then the American Revolution, and I'm now about half way through the 55 episode series on the French Revolution.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
S-Town is incredible.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
"Gladiator" The Aaron Hernandez bio podcast from the Boston Globe is very engrossing.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
We're Alive. zombie
Homecoming. Fiction kinda sorta sci fi
Up and Vanished. first season. second sucks
Business Wars business
The Naked Bible. Bible study
Hard core History EXCELLENT!
Wolverine, The Long Night Fiction

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Also, I can't quite get a bead on what his political leanings are, I've caught some programs in which he seems to lean Right and others in which he seems to lean Left. He seems to morph into adapting what the topic of the book and the author believe.

He's a conservative that the Left is most confused about: he's a New Yorker, urbane, literate and cosmopolitan.

Son of Assyrian parents, he self describes himself as a impressionable liberal in the 70's while in college; as he got older, and wiser, he became more conservative realizing the folies of his youth. His podcast is a cut-up of his syndicated radio show, his elocution and well spoken background lends himself to a interview style that's uncommon today. He and many of his regular guest are no fans of Trump but, they also recognize the stakes that the never-Trumpers couldn't bring themselves to face: that the Left, has become extreme and unhinged to anyone who oppose them. In this day and age, you could call him a right-leaning moderate.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I recently started listening to Casefile True Crime. It can be eerily captivating, especially with the mysterious Australian host.

If you're into crime stories, I think you'll like this one. The first case I listened to was Case 95: The Vampire of Krakow. It had my interest right away.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Along with a few mentioned, I recently stumbled onto Mark Of the Maker. A few knife makers and a host talking knives. Pretty good so far, only 19 episodes though.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I started S-town a few days ago on my daily commute. It’s excellent. Thank you.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MagBas
posted Hide Post
The World of Phil Hendrie
It’s purely entertainment (i.e. not educational) and it’s hilarious.
Phil leads a discussion panel of interesting characters and has frequent guests phone in.
The catch: all the voices (including the guests) are voiced by Phil himself.

Posts: 408 | Location: Tennessee, U.S.A. | Registered: July 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Mafia is good despite an overly dramatic narrator.

The Dennis Miller Option

Covert

Joe Rogan if the guest is good.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post