SIGforum
Any good podcasts you would recommend?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7870089534

January 11, 2018, 05:33 AM
FPNunes
Any good podcasts you would recommend?
I've finally started to listen to podcasts and am wondering if anyone has one to recommend?

I listen to a few IT and political ones but would like to expand out to the shooting sports, every day issues, movies, etc.

What is your favorite?

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...
January 11, 2018, 06:05 AM
Oz_Shadow
My wife likes Drew & Mike. They were local classic rock DJs in Detroit for decades. They talk about anything and everything. One thing that takes getting used to is the use of short audio drops from things they did years ago.
January 11, 2018, 07:01 AM
airsoft guy
There's of course the Adam Carolla Show, along with the whole pantheon of podcasts from Carolla Digital, got one about building houses, another on racing/cars, the Adam and Dr. Drew Show, Reasonable Doubt with Mark Geragos.

Beyond that, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is pretty good if you like history. Just stumbled on one called Eastern Border by a guy in Latvia that focuses on the history of the Soviet Union. It's a bit more low budget, being essentially a guy in his livingroom with a pile of books.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
January 11, 2018, 07:34 AM
daikyu
I am a fan of Kevin Smith so I like Hollywood Babble On.

Mike Rowe has a short podcast that is pretty cool called The Way I Heard it. Episodes are less than 10 minutes.
January 11, 2018, 08:07 AM
RAMIUS
Jockopodcast is my new obsession.

http://jockopodcast.com/author/echoflixpoint-net/

Win, and co-founder of Echelon Front, where he is a leadership instructor, speaker, and executive coach. Jocko spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy SEAL Teams, starting as an enlisted SEAL and rising through the ranks to become a SEAL officer. As commander of SEAL Team Three’s Task Unit Bruiser during the battle of Ramadi, he orchestrated SEAL operations that helped the “Ready First” Brigade of the US Army’s First Armored Division bring stability to the violent, war-torn city.Task Unit Bruiser became the most highly decorated Special Operations Unit of the Iraq War. Jocko returned from Iraq to serve as Officer-in-Charge of training for all West Coast SEAL Teams. There, he spearheaded the development of leadership training and personally instructed and mentored the next generation of SEAL leaders who have continued to perform with great success on the battlefield.

During his career, Jocko was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and numerous other personal and unit awards. In 2010, Jocko retired from the Navy and launched Echelon Front with Leif Babin where he teaches the leadership principles he learned on the battlefield to help others lead and win. Clients include individuals, teams, companies, and organizations across a wide-range of industries and fields.
January 11, 2018, 11:03 AM
jhe888
S Town. Just give it a try - you'll love it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
January 11, 2018, 11:11 AM
myrottiety
Sig just picked up Drinkin Bros as a sponsor. Its the guys from ART-15, Black Riffle Coffee, and a few others.

These dues make me laugh so freaking hard. If you are easily offended ovoid! If you like some good old fashioned crude humor. Give them a listen.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
January 11, 2018, 11:35 AM
mdblanton
Mike Rowe’s The Way I Heard It is terrific. Reminds me of Paul Harvey’s The Rest of the Story.

Usually about 10 minutes long including him mentioning sponsors.

Michael
January 11, 2018, 11:38 AM
Skull Leader
If you watch Smarter Every Day on YouTube, Destin does a podcast with a preacher buddy of his called No Dumb Questions. It's not preachy though so don't let that turn you off. It's more about two guys talking about a subject from two different perspectives: Destin from the scientific side and Matt from the humanities side.
January 11, 2018, 11:42 AM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
There's of course the Adam Carolla Show, along with the whole pantheon of podcasts from Carolla Digital, got one about building houses, another on racing/cars, the Adam and Dr. Drew Show, Reasonable Doubt with Mark Geragos.

Beyond that, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is pretty good if you like history. Just stumbled on one called Eastern Border by a guy in Latvia that focuses on the history of the Soviet Union. It's a bit more low budget, being essentially a guy in his livingroom with a pile of books.

I used to be a daily listener but the quality of the ACS has really gone downhill...Adam seems angry all the time and not in a funny way and Gina is torture on the ears with her noises and idiotic comments.
January 11, 2018, 12:35 PM
Skull Leader
I pretty much stopped listening to the ACS podcast after they got rid of Alison Rosen. I prefer her over Gina Grad and the unceremonious way they fired Alison didn't set well with me.

On the Adam and Doctor Drew show Adam is always belittling Drew and it's gotten to the point I wish Drew would just tell Adam to fuck off. I'm embarrassed for Drew the way Adam treats him.

I like Adam, but wish he would get off his high horse which I know is a really odd thing to say about him.
January 11, 2018, 12:45 PM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I pretty much stopped listening to the ACS podcast after they got rid of Alison Rosen. I prefer her over Gina Grad and the unceremonious way they fired Alison didn't set well with me.

On the Adam and Doctor Drew show Adam is always belittling Drew and it's gotten to the point I wish Drew would just tell Adam to fuck off. I'm embarrassed for Drew the way Adam treats him.

I like Adam, but wish he would get off his high horse which I know is a really odd thing to say about him.

I just listened to Fitzdog Radio with Alison as a guest and they (Fitz and Rosen) are launching their own show which will all but guarantee that he is not invited back to ACS anytime soon.
January 11, 2018, 01:12 PM
SigM4
Tagging for later. Just subscribed to Drinkin' Bros and it's hilarious.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
January 11, 2018, 02:06 PM
myrottiety
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

These guys make my commute bearable!!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
January 11, 2018, 07:27 PM
FPNunes
Thanks for the great suggestion guys. I added a few of these tonight and will give them a try.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...
January 11, 2018, 08:04 PM
g8rforester
If you're not listening to The Jocko Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Also a few others...

The Adam Carolla Show (this is the baseline standard by which all other podcasts should be judged)

The Joe Rogan Experience (like him or not, he's a great interviewer, plus he's prolific enough you can pick-and-choose the guests)

The Koy Po(n)d (Jo Koy's show. It's random, hilarious, and full of heart.)

The Tim Ferriss Show

The MILO Show

The Myths and Legends Podcast (really interesting stuff here, King Arthur, Aladdin, Vikings, etc.)

The History of Rome Podcast (179 episode series, absolutely enthralling, covers Rome from founding (Romulus and Remus, the Seven Kings, etc.) to fall of the Western Empire.)

PragerU

The Nerdist Podcast (Yes, Chris Hardwick is a raging Progressive idiot, but he's a good interviewer and has great guests)

You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes (existential, spiritual, odd humor, deep conversations)
January 11, 2018, 09:32 PM
Kenpoist
Tim Ferris and Jocko Willink are two of my favorites. Joe Rogan is great too

Plus a few grappling/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu podcasts (which I don’t understand 80% of yet).
January 11, 2018, 09:56 PM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

OMG - I just listened to Two Sprippers and a Rock Star and loved it
January 11, 2018, 11:03 PM
Wasabibill
Brian Suits "Dark and Secret Place". American war veteran of three military conflicts in Kuwait, Bosnia, and Iraq, and has been a talk radio host for more than 10 years. I find him very interesting to listen to.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.
January 12, 2018, 12:29 AM
Dusty78
I’m a true crime guy so some of my favorites are...

Sword and Scale
Up and Vanished
True Crime Garage is ok but can get annoying

For other stuff the Joe Rogan experience is great

S-Town was crazy and interesting

I just finished a 6 part one called Dirty John about a scumbag con man that was good