SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Disco still sucks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disco still sucks. Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I love the song and love the film, pretentious though it may be.

But hey, let's get real for a minute:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite disco hit of all time, and favorite rap tune were both by a New Wave group; Blondie! Smile

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
... I played house and techno music professionally for almost 25 years all across the US and a few foreign countries. House music came from Disco so I studied the genre ad nasueam for decades. There was some excellent disco but much of it was shit. But isn’t that the same for rock, country, R&B and any other genre ever invented? ...
Tell us more. Who did you play with?

You're right, there was some great stuff from the disco era. Listen to "We are Family" by Sister Sledge. That bass line is KILLER! And that's no synth, that's an orchestra. There were so many amazing instrumentalists back then.

No matter how much of a metal head i am/was, I still think disco is fun.

Indeed. Tell us more. I had forgotten about that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
At the time, I despised disco, and even in my older age, I still think it kinda sucked overall.

For me, the whole package was vacuous, just really empty (when I was a teen, my friends and I used to call it "mersh"). At best, I saw it as campy as far as the clothes, dancing style, the music, the spinning mirror ball, the whole culture. I'll give disco this- it was huge, it blanketed the entire country for a few years. TV shows and commercials, films, fashion, roller skates, cereal boxes, etc. it was an extreme fad.

I watched Saturday Night Fever in later years to see why Gene Siskel obsessed over the film, but I just didn't get it (apparently he owned the white Travolta suit). During the disco era, I was listening to punk rock- The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Television, etc. But it was an interesting time in music history; you had not only disco, but American arena hard rock (Aerosmith, Nugent), punk rock, reggae in its prime (Bob Marley, Peter Tosh), California rock (Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Jackson Browne) and the British rockers Led Zep, The Who, Stones).

The one thing I loved from the disco era was the SNL skit spoofing Saturday Night Fever with Belushi's Samurai as Tony and OJ Simpson as his brother. Can't find it anywhere on youtube.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Tell us more. Who did you play with?

You're right, there was some great stuff from the disco era. Listen to "We are Family" by Sister Sledge. That bass line is KILLER! And that's no synth, that's an orchestra. There were so many amazing instrumentalists back then.

No matter how much of a metal head i am/was, I still think disco is fun.

I played on lineups with a lot of people, too many to list. My favorite of all time was opening up for Dave Clarke. On vinyl, I still consider him to be the best there ever was, with Jeff Mills the 2nd. 90’s, and 2000’s I played lineups with most everyone you could think of but I played underground techno and house and never played the commercial dance music. I could have made a lot of money playing what I call “cheese” but could never live with myself if I did. I played mostly what people would call “raves” in the 90’s, but they were just really warehouse parties. Played them in many of the major cities in the US. 2000’s I mostly played clubs then from 2006-2011 I opened up for a well known electronic band. I was their dj and opening act. That was my last run. The market and business changed. It became more about your social media pages, marketing, than it did skill. When I started in the early 90’s it was only about skill and many well known producers at the time wouldn’t play much because they were shit on the 1200’s. Today it’s all irrelevant. All that really matters is your own tracks in the studio. How good of a dj you are is completely irrelevant, at least in the US.

Had my chances to sell out (What is called selling your soul to the devil in the music business) and always said no. Difficult every time due to how much more it would pay. Really rings home today seeing the lame trance cheese boys pull in 20 or 30 million a year with no skill and just playing throw your hands up sets with fist pumps. That’s crazy to me and they don’t even use vinyl. They press play on their laptop or use CDJ’s and a usb stick. When people ask why I never switched to digital format I would ask them if they were interested in seeing a band use a big rectangluar iPad for a guitar or a set of iPads for drums. Same deal. I always used the vinyl and trained myself the old way. Even in the studio we always used analog synths and only used a computer for sequencing. Moog, Nord, Juno, I don’t care what anyone says, a plug in and software just doesn’t sound the same as a nasty rack mounted synth.

I ran my own record store, worked at a total of 6 over the years. Had my own label, produced my own tracks. It was a great career. 90’s playing 2k people raves, 2000’s it was clubs from 500-1000 people. Then the last run opening for the band it could be 2500-10,000 people venues. That was really cool although I had to change my format slightly, and it was a lot harder work being in charge of gear, doing sound checks every show. Clubs, etc, just show up with my bag of records and Sennheisers, play, get my check, and bounce. You’d think it was a blast and it was fun from girls and boos perspective but that was only early 20’s. I’d play with guys who’d meet some model looking lady, go back to the hotel, do the deal, then wake up with wax and/or money stolen. One guy she even took his clothes. Then the partying, same thing. Go after a show to some after event only to find out your cocktails were laced with drugs. The reality is not getting sleep on the weekends. Having TSA comb through your flight case with swipes, looking for drugs, as you try to make a 4am flight out of Kennedy or O’hare. The watts, the flights, the planes, the lack of sleep. It’s not what people think. They think it’s the time of the life job. The girls, partying it up, money. That’s only for big time, mainstream folks. They get a bus, get catered to, extensive riders. I never got to do the bus. We got within a millimeter of that then the people I worked for, one of them punked out when Warner Bros was ready to do it their way. Capitol, Sony, everyone offered them a deal and they walked away because they’d be owned after signing and I never blamed them for saying no. The Warner Bros deal was different and it would have meant my house being paid off and a nice slice of retirement money. Didn’t happen.

The best thing I ever did was get some degrees along the way as I ended up using them, getting into a career field, etc. I cannot explain it, but a 9-5 job/career to me, is better than having to play music I don’t want to, or be a politician hanging out with promoters and partying when all I wanted to do was either hit the hotel bed or get on a flight after a show. The great times were when the promoter lost his ass, you didn’t get paid, and there was nothing you could do short of putting the guy in the hospital and going to jail. And yes there was always lots of drugs around. That much is true. Thankfully I never got into that. I truly loved the music I was playing. 90+% of the shows I played I could run circles around anyone in the lineup but that doesn’t sell anymore. It’s a young man’s game, a social media game, and marketing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Right on. It all sounds so familiar, in so many ways.

Long live 1200s, vinyl, analog synths, and control voltage.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I clearly remember when disco began (at least in Missouri) and when it ended. I was down with the pre disco era when it was clothes and dancing to rock and roll. Then the fucking Hustle hit. I thought what the fuck is this shit? If ever mass dorkdom hit harder than disco, I'm glad I didn't see it.

I know the people that just went with it had fun. It was probably the least social period of my life. Refused to fake it.

I was in Canada the summer disco died and I could just barely pick up a Winnepeg station that played "Disco's in the garbage, right where it belongs" I was renewed when that shit was finally over.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
peter brown
do you wanna ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuP_LRl412M

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post