SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    GOT a turntable, lots of questions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT a turntable, lots of questions Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I need to repair my APT Holman first.

I came THIS close to buying that preamp. I spent literally months reading and researching and finally auditioning in a couple local stereo shops in the Florida area where I lived at the time. We swapped out preamps in the same store systems repeatedly. Came down to the Apt-Holman or the Phase Linear 3000 II. This was in 1980. I opted for the later and was never disappointed. I still consider it a very under appreciated unit. Mine is still functional including all the panel switches and lights although I did replace the volume control when it got uncorrectably "scratchy" with a nice high end Alps.

That said I did "retire" it in 2003 in favor of an Odyssey Tempest (same as the German Symphonic line preamp) which is in my system today. (System description: https://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/320.html )

Didn't mention it earlier but I have a "backup" TT hooked into my home theater system: a JVC QL-7 Quartz DD turntable w/Grado ZF3E+ MM cart in an Audio Technica headshell. Quite similar to the Denon Quartz DD TTs of that era. Bought it new in 1978 on a WesPac deployment. Smile

Regarding phono cartridges, my first move from some pretty decent MM carts (Shure, Ortofon, Empire, etc.) to MC was a Denon DL-301 I bought in 1983 in Akihabara Japan. In years since I've heard numerous high and very high end (read: VERY expensive) MC carts in other folks systems. But that DL-301 made me a Denon MC sound fan using their MC carts ever since. The pair I have on hand are the DL-304 and DL-103D. Both outstanding in my system.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found a Dual 1212 on a Saba plinth. Looks to be in decent shape but one of the switches broke. It is at a local antique place that has an auction. Looking into it, they seem to be an OK TT but nothing to brag about. If it goes cheap enough it may be worth it, but I'm still searching.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
When my wife worked for Panasonic Consumer Electronics in NJ back in the 80's I would get great deals on the units used in their trade shows. Many didn't have boxes but for a large part never even powered up. The warehouse manager didn't want to store it so he would make up his own priced...like five cents on the dollar.

Got a brand new marine radio when I bought a boat for something like ten dollars.

We had a similar deal with Kenwood that had a warehouse in our town.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Some caveats about turntables:
- must be properly leveled
- must be isolated from vibration
- tonearm must be properly aligned
- cartridge must be properly positioned
- cartridge must be set with the optimal tracking force for the tonearm combination
- cartridge stylus must be kept clean
I've found the Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disk and Shure Stylus Gauge to be very helpful in these regards. And as mentioned in an earlier post I use both the ExtremePhono and DIY Magic Eraser stylus cleaners as well with my cartridges.

And of course the vinyl too must be meticulously kept clean and unabused to ensure the best playback. Never touching the playing surface which can contaminate it with body oils. Handle the platters by the edges and center label area only. Storing in aftermarket sleeves positioned to obviate any dust getting inside the jacket on to the vinyl should be the routine. Records stored vertical as leaning them may cause the outer edge to curl making much of the record unplayable without resorting to some drastic flattening measures.

Pre-playing and general cleaning routines / methods vary widely among TT owners. Personally I use both a Nagaoka CL-152 Record Cleaner* and Hunt EDA Mk6 Anti-Static Brush (both pictured) on the vinyl mounted on the TT platter before playing each side. There are a variety of vinyl cleaners ranging from exotic machines to hand systems. I use the Disc Doctor hand brush/fluid system when necessary.

A lot of work but the rewards are audible. Big Grin

Here's a shot from tonight playing my well loved and used Bob James - Touchdown LP from 1978 (includes the theme from Taxi) on my Merrill modified AR TT with a Denon 103D MC cart. Nary a pop or click! Big Grin And oh the sound on my system. And yes, my hearing is considered exceptional for my age. Smile Smile Smile

* Got it in 2003 direct from a friend in Japan. The prices have gone insane in recent years: https://www.amazon.com/Nagaoka...eaner/dp/B00WCFO0SO/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
petr,

Any updates on what you've acquired or does your search still continue?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a Dual 1229 TT with a Shure cartridge and dust cover at home. I haven’t used it in 25 years and bought it in about 1972 while in the Navy. Prices are all over the place on flea bay. I won’t be home until mid-April but if you’re interested, we can make a deal. No pressure as I was going to put it on eBay this spring anyway.
Mike.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Why the venerable AR turntable is a classic audiophile engineered milestone so many other manufacturers emulated features from.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Rega's turntables. Simple, manual and reliable. Steady and stable. Not crazy expensive. I have a Planar 2, and have for years, but the Planar 2 is about $650 now. They have many models at a range of prices.

If price is no object, consider a Linn LP12 Klimax.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still shopping and have to go around town to see what I can find, if the weather ever cooperates. We are in a snow and ice pattern supposedly for the next week or two.

I'd like to stay local so there is minimal chance of damage if shipped. However, if the price is right, I may be interested in that 1229. My email is in my profile if you would like to shoot me your asking price. Thank you.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found a SABA plinth on which I am assuming has a Dual 1019 setting on it. It is local to me and if the seller messages me back I'll take a look at it. The reason I'm assuming it is a 1019 is that I found a few photos with a similar designed SABA plinth and they all have the 1019. Also, the pictures are not that great. I'll let y'all know how I make out.

posted Hide Post
I have at least 3 older turntables.
The thorens I have is the best of those.
I also have 2 Phillips tables that I think were vastly underrated at the time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to check out the turntable yesterday after work. Unfortunately I wasn't able to play with it before agreeing on a price as it was in a storage garage with no power. Yes, I am taking a risk but the price was fair and if it doesn't work out I can get my money back by reselling it.

The SABA plinth looks to be teak and super clean. No scratches and all there, including the hinged cover with wood sides and plexiglass front and top. It is a Dual 1015F with a Shure cartridge. Three speed with anti-skate and speed adjustment. The bad is that the tonearm and cartridge holder has something going on with it as it's foil taped together. I'll look into that once I get it home.

Which leads to the other thing. I wasn't prepared to check it out and didn't have cash on me as I was at work when I set up the appointment. We agreed to do the exchange over the weekend as of course, today it is snowing again...anywhere from 4-12" expected depending on which forecast you follow.

I was looking for an older 10xx series for the lack of plastic parts and this one ticked the boxes.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The two threads that get into turntables fascinate me. I had never heard the word “plinth” before. Other terms posted are equally foreign. I’m obviously not an audiophile.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TMats, yeah I learned quite a bit recently as well. Never to old to stop learning!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Now that you have a playing platform you’re are going to need a good source of vinyl.

I have picked up quite a few albums from Amoeba in a Hollywood. They closed to walk-ins last year and then closed their doors and moved to a new location.

They have been very helpful in finding some obscure vinyl.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you nhtagmember.

So I picked up that Dual 1015F. I'll take some pictures and post them here tomorrow. The wood appears to be walnut, not teak, and is beautiful. I need to go over it and do a proper set-up as things aren't adjusted right.

Now for the first round of questions to come:

It has a Shure M91ED sled and it needs a stylus. What is a decent replacement that won't break the bank?

Does anyone know how close the 1015 and 1015F are to each other? I have a service manual in German for the F and the standard is in English. Obviously, the English one is easier to understand for me.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I can recommend the GrooveWasher record cleaner. Many of you remember the Discwasher record cleaner from the 70s. I lost mine somewhere along the way and was glad to have found an updated version of the iconic walnut handled cleaner. The owner of the new company had been involved in the original company, and followed back into the business when vinyl started selling again.

The GrooveWasher

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Now for the first round of questions to come:

It has a Shure M91ED sled and it needs a stylus. What is a decent replacement that won't break the bank?

I enjoyed a M91ED way back when one was bundled with an AR/XA I bought new in 1973. It served me well.
A search indicated a number of replacement stylii available with varying degrees of user opinions and pricing. There are good discussion here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv...ofon-red-etc.863064/
https://www.stereo.net.au/foru...-is-it-worth-saving/

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Be careful! Big Grin

Over the years cartridges, headshells, and related accessories tend to grow like weeds. Smile

From right to left:
Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm with Sumiko HS-12 headshell and Denon DL-103D cartridge on my Merrill/AR turntable. Herbie's AudioLab HAL-O Jr tonearm damper on the arm.
To the left in the back a Denon DL-304 cartridge on an Orsonic AV-1S headshell.
In front of that a Discwasher SC-2 stylus cleaning system (fluid and wood handled cleaner/mirror).
Then a DIY Magic eraser stylus cleaner pad in a battery case and to its left a round container of ExtremePhono stylus cleaner "gel."
To the left of that is a Discwasher DiscTracker pneumatic headshell dampener.
Further to the left are a pair of headshells with cartridges: An Audio-Technica shell with a Grado ZF3E+ cart used on my JVC QL-7 turntable. And an old AR/XA headshell with an Empire 66 QE/X cartridge.
Behind them is an Audio-Technica TriDome AT-6003 headshell/cartridge storage unit housing 3 spare headshells with wire leads.

What I've found rather amusing is that some of these have become highly sought after items among vinyl enthusiasts with absurd prices being asked/paid. I mentioned in an earlier post the Nakaoga CL-152 roller record cleaner. Add the Orsonics headshell to the list among others.

Edited to correct Audio-Technica spelling

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Thorens Mk125, belt drive. (German) Sum bitch must weight around 50 lbs. Slate bottom.

Bought used about 40 years ago. Hooked up but haven't used it in 10 years.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post