SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Your favorite rum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite rum? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I rarely drink, but when I do-I enjoy a few fingers of rum.

Recently tried Captain Morgan's Private Stock. Pretty good stuff.

However, I know some of youse guys are connoisseurs of this stuff. What good spiced rum would you recommend?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Kraken or Black Bell.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've got some Kraken, but I think I like the private stock more.

I'll try the Black Bell.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Hands down.

Pussers Rum. The blue label. Best I've tasted, and I've tasted a lot of rum. Like a Port Royale whore in the Age of Sail.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bacoo 12 yr

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pusser's spiced rum for me.

Pusser's 15 y.o. dark rum is good for sipping without the spice flavors.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goslings Black Seal, from Bermuda

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't drink much, but I enjoy Zacapa.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Tanduay 15

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I like Papas Pilar, Ernest Hemingway. Blonde Rum, 7

Nice vanilla after taste, very smooth.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Favorite? Eldorado 15 year.

Runners up:
Pusser’s
Zaya
Ron Zacapa

Mixers that i keep on hand but dont drink neat:
Kraken
Black Seal

Stuff worth trying:
Pyrat. Used to be delicious but now there is something artificial tasting about it. Not sure if it chamged or my palate did.

Barbancourt. From Haiti. It’s a fine rum, but my tastes for sipping rums tend to be on the sweeter side and this one is drier. For mixing I have cheaper options.

Now go enjoy one of the few mixed drinks I really like, the Dark n Stormy (or Overcast and Raining if you are afraid of a certain distillery’s lawyers...). Ginger beer, the stronger the better. I like Cock’N Bull. Dark rum. Black Seal or Myers would be tradional choices, but any bold flavored rum will do. Juice from half a fresh lime. FRESH LIME, not a little plastic lime. Ice.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I haven’t found one that I personally like to sip straight. Dark rums that I tried are much too sweet for me. I have a bottle of Havana Club white rum now, and it’s great for rum cocktails, but I can’t say I enjoy sipping it.

So many types of rum; I just don’t believe I have a burning desire to dive into them searching for something I really like. I have been deep into tequilas for a long, long time (blancos only), bourbon almost as long, and it seems like there’s still so much to try—even after all these years.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Of all the spirits out there, IMHO rum tends to elicit one of the more widely varying opinions, at least that is what it seems like to me when you talk rum with folks and even check sites like Run ratings. I prefer dark rums to the white variety and actually enjoy rums like Havana Club Añejo 7 year, certain varieties of Appleton Estate, Blackheart, and even Bacardi Oakheart. Like most things consumable, it requires some taste testing to find the ones you prefer as opposed to what others might recommend. Sometimes you'll agree and sometimes you won't.

An additional thought I read about quite a while back is that rum tends to have more of the compounds that can cause hangovers than other spirits which I thought was kind of interesting and good to know.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 Cane

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I like a dark rum. I used to drink Meyers but can't find it anymore. We only have a couple liquor stores in town and all they stock is the spiced shit.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Matusalem rum for me. Its a Cuban recipe distilled in Puerto Rico.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Pusser’s is a classic, been drinking it since USNA.

I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana 18 year old last time I was in Grand Cayman - found it pretty tasty over ice.

Mount Gay needs a plug - an old-time product. Excellent with pineapple juice...

Sorry, didn’t see you were specifically looking for spiced rums. Spiced rums are not my thing. Pussers or Flor de Cana over ice is plenty good

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
10 Cane

10 Cane was discontinued in 2015.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
I like Papas Pilar, Ernest Hemingway. Blonde Rum, 7

Nice vanilla after taste, very smooth.

Same. It's one of the few rums I've really enjoyed.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Sailor Jerry's is my go to spiced rum. If I'm drinking liquor, it's a Jerry's and Coke Zero.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post