SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I also, have killed a lion...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also, have killed a lion... Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
"How many shots did you need?"

"I used my hands..."

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
We have an expression in prize fighting: "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." Well my friend, you've just been hit. The getting up is up to you

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
“If you want to see the lions today, you must go to America. They are at the Field Museum in Chicago, Illinois. Even now, if you dare lock eyes with them, you will be afraid.”

Great movie, but this ending line always made me chuckle.

The 'eyes' in those stuffed lions are glass marbles. . . Hardly the stuff of bad dreams.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“You lack the courage to lead. Go! Tell all your men to go. But I will kill the lions and I will build the bridge. And you? You must go home and tell the wives of the men who died here that you fled with the others because you could not master your fear.”

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
"You know Charles, you're a rather cheerful fellow when you get to know you."

*man I got that wrong from memory lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Truly one of the most underrated movies ever made. Aside from Remington being a made up character and the real lions of that era being mane-less, the movie was actually quite accurate.

I can literally watch this movie over and over again and it's been one of my top five for 20 years now.

The cinematography was great, the music was great and the story was great.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Truly one of the most underrated movies ever made. Aside from Remington being a made up character and the real lions of that era being mane-less, the movie was actually quite accurate.

I can literally watch this movie over and over again and it's been one of my top five for 20 years now.

The cinematography was great, the music was great and the story was great.

Tony.

I agree. It is also a favorite of mine. I first read Patterson's "Man-Eaters of Tsavo" when I was in 7th grade over 45 years ago. When I saw the movie when it hit the theaters in 1996, my memories of reading that book all came vividly alive again.
It also made a vivid impression on my son (now 31) when he first saw it at about age 7 or 8. To this day as we are driving through the late summer or fall country roads and there is tall dry brown grass growing in the fields, I'll catch him looking intently into the tall grass. When I ask him what he's looking for he always says "The Ghost and The Darkness"! Smile

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm a very considerate man. My mother taught me that.
Now, what the hell you laughing about? You don't think I'm considerate?

I don't believe you had a mother.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in RSA on a big private ranch in 2000. They had lions that figured out if they heard a shot it was possible to steal an impala or whatever.

My buddy shot an antelope and a lioness came running towards me as I was between here and the kill. I vividly recall the thumps of her feet as she ran towards me.

I had my crosshairs on her the entire time. She stopped maybe 30 feet away and was obviously excited. I recall the end of her tail twitching back and forth.

The PH told me to back up slowly, which I did, while keeping her covered .Each step back she seemed to relax a bit more.

?
She eventually sauntered off when the tracker\skinner boys showed up in a group.

It was one of the shining moments of mt life as I didn't soil myself and kept my focus.

Could NOT imagine being the focus of a charge. They are very fast.I was fortunate she was just in a hurry not really wanting to get me and I was just in her path.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post