SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is Taylor Swift the new Van Halen?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Taylor Swift the new Van Halen? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Phil McKnight owns a guitar academy in Chandler, AZ. In this short video, he explains that he opened the school in 2005. In 2006 less than 4% of the students studying guitar were female; in 2016 (this was recorded last October), 60% of the students were female. I thought this was interesting; maybe you will too.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Uh, no. Eddie was special because of what and how he played. All you needed to do was listen.

Swift is popular, and now people/girls can see that it's her playing, since they have youtube as a major/primary source of their music. American Idol and similar shows have contributed, too, I think. If fans didn't have the constant visual reminder that Swift was playing, they'd not find her to be an inspiration to play. It's the visual of her, and lots of other female artists on youtube, that's inspiring girls to play, I think.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It's a different era, and I think you're missing the point. Did EVH inspire lots of guys to play guitar? Yes

Has Swift inspired lots of girls and women to play guitar? McKnight says--"yes."

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^ I understand that Swift has apparently inspired girls to play guitar, but it's for a vastly different reason than EVH. Eddie broke new ground with his playing. Swift just happens to be the beneficiary of peaking in the age of youtube, I think. Had her or the directors of her videos chosen to almost never put a guitar in her hands while filming, I doubt she'd inspire hardly anyone to play. To me, calling someone the new EVH should mean they've got cutting-edge guitar skills.

Note: I'm not particularly familiar with Swift's music - just kinda making an assumption based on the little I've heard, and that I've never heard anything about her being a great guitar player.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No, I don't think she is a great guitar player, rus; she is a musician though.

I didn't start the thread to sing the praises of Taylor Swift. Like you, I'm not familiar with her music. I just hadn't heard that there was a notable growth in the number of women/girls learning to play. McKnight attributes the growing numbers largely to her and I thought it was interesting. Apparently, nobody but you and I cares one way or the other Big Grin

There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
St. Vincent might be helping, too.

In any event, if there is a growing army of female musicians who were inspired by Swift, there is sure to be a mountain of music bitching about ex-boyfriends to come.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
St. Vincent might be helping, too.

In any event, if there is a growing army of female musicians who were inspired by Swift, there is sure to be a mountain of music bitching about ex-boyfriends to come.

I've been listening to a lot of St Vincent/Annie Clark lately,

that woman is an outstanding player,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Not bashing Taylor at all but she is not EVH....

Not a fair comparison at all, talented pop performer vs legend of the guitar

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous.

Nothing she has ever done or ever will do will equal EVH on his worst day, inspiring others included. His nad-sweat after a New Orleans show probably has more to offer the world.

That she "plays guitar" is cute and all, but neither her playing nor her music is anything more than popular pop garbage for an audience whose motivations don't include quality or chops. Maybe she's inspired some fashion trends or something, makeup tips, maybe, hell - maybe even marketing strategies or simply sales stats, but the rest? Bologna.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taylors got zero on EVH. And I would love to see her go head to head with Angus Young!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Taylors got zero on EVH. And I would love to see her go head to head with Angus Young!

Now I know YOU didn't watch the video. This thread is not in any way, shape, or form about Swift's chops on a guitar.

C'mon Roll Eyes

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Enough influence to get girls playing that the unrelated Taylor company now packages a Taylor Swift starter guitar pack. It's the first thing you see going in Guitar Center.

Definitely not her playing that is doing it, like EVH. Probably more being a singer songwriter who dominates in her market.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No. I like lookin at her very much but the music might as well be a dentist drill.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No. I like lookin at her very much but the music might as well be a dentist drill.

Exactly. Easy on the eyes for sure but I'll mute her and just watch her.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd like to never again hear her name. I'd like to forget all about her, never again hear her stupid music, never again hear any inane gossip about her bullshit.

Just go away

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The point of the video was not comparing the two as far as skill or style. Really it was about individuals inspiring kids to take something up. I'm not a fan of Swift's music, but hey if she gets girls to put down their phones and pick up a guitar, I'm all for it.

A lot of parallels to what I've seen with a daughter in archery. My daughter competes in a sport that really is male dominated. A few years ago the Hunger Games movies came out and we saw a slew or pre-teen and teenage girls flood the shop for lessons. Almost all of them wanting to shoot a recurve like Katniss. We even joked about printing up t-shirts, "I was shooting archery before it was cool."

It drove my daughter nuts. She watched Hunger Games and came away critiquing Katniss's form. She had her own real life idol, 5 time Olympian Khatuna Lorig. So maybe there's more to this; being inspired by an individual because of their skill or being inspired by their image.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Orianthi or Avril Lavigne are better players than her. Don't hear anyone say they're inspiring girls to play. Only thing Swift has going is being propped up in the pop genre.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phil McKnight owns a guitar academy in Chandler, AZ

No comment on the content posted, however I will say Phil has published a ton of valuable information online - which has had consequences with (certain) distributors/manufacturers having a cow over a retailer publishing so much information on products.

You can only imagine the trouble/fallout. IIRC, he has even posted a video rather recently (last month) about his decisions to part with the retail side of his business (partners still run it) and keep other bits (i.e. media) going strong. His Youtube has exploded beyond his dreams.

I generally like what he says, no nonsense, no-BS about guitars and gear.

Some greatest hits are his:

5 things you didn't know about your Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc.

Or differences between a Korean made PRS and USA PRS.

Another is who owns who in the Music Manufacturing Biz.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post