Tools

Victory at Sea Login/Join 
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I used to watch it with my dad when I was a youngster. We used to also watch a series called (iirc) The World at War. It had a haunting intro and overall somber feel.

Narrated by Laurence Olivier. It has a dark taste to it.

I just found it on Youtube. The intro to the first episode is indeed dark and apparently sets the tone for the rest of the series.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I've started watching since seeing this post. Remember reruns of the original as a kid. It was first made only seven years after the war ended - still SO many secrets. In the episode with the Battle of Midway, the narrator stated Nimitz determined (had a hunch) the IJN would try to take Midway. No mention of MAGIC.

It’s possible that MAGIC wasn’t mentioned as signals intelligence from WW2 would still be classified at that time, so the “hunch” was a logical cover explanation. As some else mentioned the “World At War” series, the “Battle of the Atlantic” episodes never mentioned ULTRA and the Enigma machine, as those didn’t become generally known until the 1990s.

You don’t want to give away too much information too soon as the intelligence gained could still have actionable data concerning erstwhile allies.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I use to watch these in UK on Sunday evenings when I was a Wee Laddie.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I got through episodes 17-20 on Prime, but 21-26 are nowhere to stream.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post