SIGforum
Victory at Sea

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7730094554

April 10, 2019, 05:34 AM
P210
Victory at Sea
Tonight I was thinking about my Dad, who passed in 1979 when I was 24. One of my memories is of watching “Victory at Sea” with him as a kid. On a lark I picked up the voice activated Firestick remote and upon uttering the name I learned that it’s currently free for Prime members, so guess what I’m watching right now?
April 10, 2019, 08:53 AM
2BobTanner
And the music score by Richard Rodgers.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
April 10, 2019, 06:23 PM
Butch 2340
Wow that brings back memories.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

April 10, 2019, 06:35 PM
newtoSig765
I bought the complete series on DVD years ago, and still occasionally watch a chapter or two. It's not the greatest quality, a fair amount of skipping, but it's still one of my treasures.

Tonight might be a good time to see if I can find the chapter on the Doolittle Raid.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
April 10, 2019, 07:06 PM
Sigmund
Are they in color? I'm 68, watched them as a kid in the late 50s on a black and white TV.
April 10, 2019, 09:17 PM
Oz_Shadow
Have them on my watch list but only gotten through a couple
April 10, 2019, 09:34 PM
sjtill
They’re in living black and white, but maybe stereo sound. The music is perfect for the scenes shown.
For the episode “Under the Southern Cross”, Rodgers borrowed his own tango from a musical.

April 11, 2019, 08:00 AM
Ripley
An all-time favorite. I think it was my first LP, majestic.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
April 11, 2019, 10:30 AM
rtquig
Thanks. I'll have to watch it. When I met my wife, she had the series on VHS tapes. They faded pretty bad and we no longer have a VHS player, yet my wife doesn't want to throw any of them out.

Living the Dream
April 11, 2019, 11:03 AM
RAMIUS
It’s on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCWi0ivx9w
April 11, 2019, 05:41 PM
Oz_Shadow
Watching them makes me think I should be hearing a film projector clicking along.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,
April 11, 2019, 05:47 PM
FN in MT
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Tonight I was thinking about my Dad, who passed in 1979 when I was 24. One of my memories is of watching “Victory at Sea” with him as a kid. On a lark I picked up the voice activated Firestick remote and upon uttering the name I learned that it’s currently free for Prime members, so guess what I’m watching right now?

You and me both. I can remember watching it on Sundays with my Dad and many of my Uncles, ALL of which served in the War. All Sailors or Marines. All of them have passed.

I have the series and watch one occasionally.

Fond memories for many of us I'm sure.
April 11, 2019, 11:05 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
You and me both. I can remember watching it on Sundays with my Dad and many of my Uncles, ALL of which served in the War. All Sailors or Marines. All of them have passed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too. Was one of the few things he would watch. My father seldom talked and never of his experiences in the Battle of the Bulge. Remember the music well. My Uncles all served in World War II. Yeah Sunday afternoons in the 1950s...
April 13, 2019, 01:17 AM
sjtill
Anybody remember “You Are There”?

April 13, 2019, 10:48 AM
2BobTanner
If you get NewsMaxTV, it’s on tonite at 8pm and repeating tomorrow nite at 10pm. It’s a 2-hour block, so could be four 1/2-hour episodes back-to-back.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
April 13, 2019, 01:06 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Anybody remember “You Are There”

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Starring Walter Cronkite. In the days before CGI and elaborate recreations, he did a good job. Just the right amount of drama.
April 13, 2019, 01:31 PM
PHPaul
My first exposure to the Victory at Sea series was in ET"A" School in Great Lakes.

If the instructor needed a break, or there was a hole in the schedule, out came the VAS flicks.

May have to check that out, thanks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
April 14, 2019, 12:03 PM
Blackmore
I've started watching since seeing this post. Remember reruns of the original as a kid. It was first made only seven years after the war ended - still SO many secrets. In the episode with the Battle of Midway, the narrator stated Nimitz determined (had a hunch) the IJN would try to take Midway. No mention of MAGIC.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act
April 25, 2019, 12:25 AM
redstone
I used to watch it with my dad when I was a youngster. We used to also watch a series called (iirc) The World at War. It had a haunting intro and overall somber feel.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
April 25, 2019, 01:41 PM
Citadel
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I used to watch it with my dad when I was a youngster. We used to also watch a series called (iirc) The World at War. It had a haunting intro and overall somber feel.

Narrated by Laurence Olivier. It has a dark taste to it.