SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Korea 1958-59 photos..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korea 1958-59 photos.. Login/Join 
posted
For those interested, something a bit different. Photos taken by a US Army soldier while he was stationed in Korea in late '50's... (From the Internet) Link to photos and to other directions...

https://www.mishalov.com/paul-...lack-korea58-59.html

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this. The Han River still looks the same. Smile

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Thanks for this. The Han River still looks the same. Smile

When I was there (1958-9) that's exactly where we would find the body of anyone who ran for President of South Korea against Syngman Rhee.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
How about this one from the Summer/Fall of 1950....
Recon Marines.... heading North to the reservoir.
(My father is the skinny guy lounging in the front.)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 1968-1969 at Camp Red Cloud adacent to the village of Uijeongbu. The village was a sea of one story huts and mud streets. I saw mothers bring their infants outside and hold them in such a way, that they could crap in the gutter and then take them back inside. Today if you see photos of Uijeongbu, it is full of modern high rise buildings. It was an interesting experience but I have never had any desire to return.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I spent 1968-1969 at Camp Red Cloud adacent to the village of Uijeongbu. Today if you see photos of Uijeongbu, it is full of modern high rise buildings. It was an interesting experience but I have never had any desire to return.

I just Googled some pictures. Eek that place has changed. Amazing but not a mystery of how the 2 Koreas have gone in different directions.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
I spent 1969 to 1970 CAMP SABRE (5/38th 105mm field artillery) just south of the DMZ area / IMJIM RIVER outside the village of MUNSANI(sp?) I'M sure that the country side has changed but photos brought back a lot of good memories.. all of my photos were destroyed in AUG.2016 when 41 inches of flood waters came thru our house...... as a E-5 US ARMY my monthly pay was more than a average SOUTH KOREAN FARMERS YEARLY INCOME....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2005 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
How about this one from the Summer/Fall of 1950....
Recon Marines.... heading North to the reservoir.
(My father is the skinny guy lounging in the front.)

On their way North to kick the "Hornet's Nest", I guess.

An estimated 300,000 Chinese "Volunteers" crossed the Yalu river into NK in early November 1950.

I hope your Father made it out OK.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:

On their way North to kick the "Hornet's Nest", I guess.

An estimated 300,000 Chinese "Volunteers" crossed the Yalu river into NK in early November 1950.

I hope your Father made it out OK.

I could make a joke and say no he was killed, but since I was born in '57......

His recon company was the last one out.... that little 'skirmish' is now forgotten it seems... oddly enough the USMC museum calls it the most decisive battle the Marines ever fought....12,000 against basically an unknown number ...but at least close to 100,ooo.... they stacked the dead chinese up like cordwood... frozen bodies make great sandbags... temperatures dropped to below -30 for days....had to wash all their weapons in solvent to get the oil off or they would freeze up. Final numbers... marines and other allies:5,000 casualties.... 1,000 dead.... Chinese and North Koreas... best estimate: 42,000. DEAD

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post