SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watched Casablanca for the 1st time...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watched Casablanca for the 1st time... Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
Why it took so many years I cannot say.

I thought it was a good movie, and appreciated the ending way more than I was expecting. Lots of lines that I've heard all my life now have their origins explained, though "Play it again, Sam" was never uttered.

Next up? African Queen, while I'm on a Bogey mindset.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Huh

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Don’t feel bad. I watched it for the first time last year...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorites.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The all-time best movie ever made.

Conflicted hero with mysterious past; beautiful woman; world’s worst bad guys; colorful supporting cast members; memorable lines of dialogue; redemption of the human condition.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Why it took so many years I cannot say.

I thought it was a good movie, and appreciated the ending way more than I was expecting. Lots of lines that I've heard all my life now have their origins explained, though "Play it again, Sam" was never uttered.

Casablanca is a movie that's been imitated, ripped-off, and inspired so many other films that when you see the original it comes off as a big cliche.

For another Bogey movie, I recommend Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It was the source for the often quoted, "Badges?..." line.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I've seen it, but...

Would Bergman have gone with Bogart or the Boyscout she met after him if he didn't make her go with the Boyscout?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

Would Bergman have gone with Bogart or the Boyscout she met after him if he didn't make her go with the Boyscout?

She met and married Victor Lazlo before she met Rick...

That said, I think she might have followed her heart, rather than greater purpose, and stayed with Rick...

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should watch it again in the not too distant future, for me it gets even better as I watch it more.

Some time will pass, and I’ll watch it again and it gets better as I can see just how well everything fits together. Such a great piece of work.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

My personal favorite is 'To Have and Have Not'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

She met and married Victor Lazlo before she met Rick...

That said, I think she might have followed her heart, rather than greater purpose, and stayed with Rick...

I know--it's just a fictitious movie--but that's what I want to hear, even though it's pure speculation! Yes, Lazlo, I can't wish anything negative on that saint, but I couldn't help getting a man-crush on Bogart and empathizing with his (the character's!) feelings in that movie and wanting him to "get the girl" in the end. Then he did the noble thing or did he preemptively do that because he was afraid of not being chosen? Ugh! What a great movie. So I take a little comfort when people like you say Bergman would have chosen him.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite Bogart movie: "In a Lonely Place", 1950. Directed by Nicholas Ray...

https://hdfy.to/movies/drama/i...ce-1950-watch-online

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Iron Chef has a good reccomndation with 'Treasure'. Bogart as the guy that is crazed with gold fever is scary as hell.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I prefer To Have And Have Not in that genre. Lauren Bacall.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The local theater has 'Flashback Cinema' two nights a week, and Casablanca was on recently: was great to see it on a big screen! Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The Maltese Falcon

Tossup between whether Peter Lorre or Sidney Greenstreet is the better scene stealer.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
The Maltese Falcon

Tossup between whether Peter Lorre or Sidney Greenstreet is the better scene stealer.

Casablanca is fantastic, Maltese Falcon is a close 2nd.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Casablanca is my all time favorite. A sequel book was published titled As a Time Goes By. If you find a copy, you should buy it.

And burn it. Unopened. Do the world a solid.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Ive posted this before...one of my favorite scenes in the movie...the facial expressions, no matter how subtle, speak volumes to the quality of the actors...from the subtle look of respect from Ingrid Bergman to Paul Henreid to Madeleine Lebeau‘s tearing up at the end of La Marseillaise (she was a refugee from the Germans...so it was a real show of emotion)...great film all the way through!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cOeFhSzoTuc

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sC_kfwa5-kg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
The all-time best movie ever made.

Conflicted hero with mysterious past; beautiful woman; world’s worst bad guys; colorful supporting cast members; memorable lines of dialogue; redemption of the human condition.

Well said, I agree wholeheartedly.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post