New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried scotch Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
After seeing it so often mentioned here, I tried Glenlivet 12yr. Aside from the normal alcohol, it had almost no flavor. Not a bad thing but I was expecting something different.

I also tried Woodford Reserve bourbon. It's also ridiculously smooth.

I rarely touch hard liquor but I was in a sampling mood. Just tried both straight.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm not a drinker either.
I've tried scotch and it's nothing to crow about.
Now fine brandy, it has character. I like a little 1/4 shot every now and then.
And it's terrific over ice cream.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not a Bourbon guy at all but love Scotch and Irish Whiskey.
There are a plethora of flavors depending on the region created.
To me "smooth" means lack of character (not quality statement - but flavors).
I especially like the heavy peated Scotches.
To each there own. Smile
And you can't judge all Scotch by tasting just one.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's been 10yrs or more since I've had Glenlivet, so I don't recall what it was like, but I enjoy Woodford and keep it in my "bar", and I agree - it's very smooth and quite good. I like that they (Woodford) only do a couple of things. Their entire operation and reputation lives and dies on that one Bourbon expression (more or less, though they have the Rye, etc). It's a bit unique in the Bourbon world with particularly narrow offerings. Woodford, Makers, Willett. Four Roses was that way but they have a lot of varieties of the Single Barrel now.

My Woodford sits next to my very best, which sits next to my OGD114. All equal to me, just different, mostly (I'd trade it all for nothing but older VW Rye, if I could). Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I drink very little hard liquor but I’m partial to Rye now. I enjoyed some Bulliet Rye on New Year’s Eve.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I drink very little hard liquor but I’m partial to Rye now. I enjoyed some Bulliet Rye on New Year’s Eve.

I've been trying a lot of Rye's lately, some good, some bad. I think the last one I tried was Knob Creek's Rye. I bought a bottle of Black Label a few months back, I can't drink it. I cannot get past the smokey flavor.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I've been trying a lot of Rye's lately, some good, some bad. I think the last one I tried was Knob Creek's Rye. I bought a bottle of Black Label a few months back, I can't drink it. I cannot get past the smokey flavor.

If Scotch is too smoky for you, don't ever try mezcal.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a bottle of Black Label a few months back, I can't drink it.
I cannot get past the smokey flavor.

JW is relatively weak as far as the Peat/smoke flavor.
Try some Ardbeg 10 - now THAT is some good smoke!
Or some Laphroiag.

An acquired taste no doubt - one a lot of us Scotch drinkers like. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I loves me some Laphroaig Quarter Cask, it don't get much better than that. Big Grin

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Scotch has a vastly different taste profile based upon which region being distilled/produced.
With that said I enjoy Campbeltown, Speyside, and highlands.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Started out with Glenlivet. Tried Highland Park and I'm never without a bottle. When it comes to Ardbeg I prefer Uigeadail. The oldest I buy is Lagavulin 16. I prefer the bold favors that have not been smoothed out with age, and I save some cash in the process. Been impressed with a new comer Kilchoman. They are on Islay and do it all. They grow the barley and malt it themselves. Started in 2005. Still no 10 or 12 year out. The stuff they put out now is 5 or 6 years. Bit rough but I like it. Most of the scotch I like are the island distilleries. I also like Remy Martin. Never developed a taste for bourbon.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I bought a bottle of Black Label a few months back, I can't drink it.
I cannot get past the smokey flavor.

JW is relatively weak as far as the Peat/smoke flavor.
Try some Ardbeg 10 - now THAT is some good smoke!
Or some Laphroiag.

An acquired taste no doubt - one a lot of us Scotch drinkers like. Cool

or Caol Ila,

mighty fine stuff

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or some Laphroiag.

Blech! I had to throw a bottle of this away that was given to me as a gift. I generally like single malts, Glenlivet, McCallen, Glennmorangie. But this stuff was like drinking scotch filtered through a dirty sock stuffed with moss.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

Or some Laphroiag.

Blech! I had to throw a bottle of this away that was given to me as a gift. I generally like single malts, Glenlivet, McCallen, Glennmorangie. But this stuff was like drinking scotch filtered through a dirty sock stuffed with moss.

Laphroiag runs an ad campaign with a bunch of people saying similar things. Quite brilliant really. I like it. I stick with the 10. There is not enough difference between the higher cost stuff.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or some Laphroiag.

That's kind of the point... Laphroaig treasures its self-appointed status as "the most richly flavored of all Scotch whiskies."

I personally like it a lot, particularly the Quarter Cask and 15 year, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Believe it or not, the Scotch experts seem to mostly agree that Laphroaig's unique flavor profile is actually milder now than decades ago.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or some Laphroiag.

The older the Scotch is the less pronounced the Peat Flavor is.
Try an Ardbeg 10 - it is like biting into a campfire. Smile
I like the Caol Ila too.
These are the typical flavors from the Island of Islay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_whisky

Perfectly understandable when some does or does not love the taste.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Glenlivet is a very mildly flavored scotch. It is one of the Speyside style of scotches and they are typically not very smoky. They are also sometimes called grassy. Suffice it to say, they tend to be of a lighter, sweeter, and more fuity style. They are my least favorites.

Try Highland Park, which is a Highlands style from the Orkney Islands. It will be more fuller flavored than Glenlivet. Highland Park's whiskies are often called the best "all-round" scotches. Lots of flavor but well-balanced.

If you want to go all-in on heavy, smoky, sea-tasting whisky, try a Islay style, like Laphroaig or Lagavulin, which is my favorite scotch of any I have tried.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I confess to being partial to Speyside when it comes to scotch malts. Balvenie Doublewood and Glenlivet 18 yo work well for me. That said in the last decade my tastes turned towards Irish (when I stopped smoking ironically) and there Redbreast takes the honors. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said in the last decade my tastes turned towards Irish (when I stopped smoking ironically) and there Redbreast takes the honors.

Love Irish too!
Sometimes variety is great.
Redbreast 12 (cask strength), Green Spot or Yellow Spot > among my favorites.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I read some of the detailed reviews and I don't know what they were drinking. Talking about vanilla and honey and chocolate. They must eat some crappy cookies.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post