New
Find
Notify
Tools

Justified Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Saw the pilot episode with my wife last night. Pretty entertaining. We'll likely continue.

“We’ll likely continue.” Say what??

Hell, man, you’ve read the reports in this forum, seen the pilot, damn right you’re gonna continue, and keep continuing to the end of the series! Roll Eyes
It’s a good’un dude.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am looking through this list
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/fullcredits

7 times to find the black guy that always wanted to meet in the middle of the bridge, boyd ran to him for special favors

any one know the actors name ?

seems like he always had a giant cleaver handy

It was Bubba!!!!

AKA Mykelti Williamson (his real name). He played Limehouse on Justified, gave shelter a couple times to Rylan's mother.

Also liked Mykelti Williamson in an old series named Boomtown.

Probably best known for the role of Bubba from Forrest Gump.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Saw the pilot episode with my wife last night. Pretty entertaining. We'll likely continue.

“We’ll likely continue.” Say what??

Hell, man, you’ve read the reports in this forum, seen the pilot, damn right you’re gonna continue, and keep continuing to the end of the series! Roll Eyes
It’s a good’un dude.

We just got through Longmire, which we enjoyed, but was a bit of a slog toward the end... So, we might still be a bit "tired" of the rural maverick cop genre, though the dialogue is better so far.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am looking through this list
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/fullcredits

7 times to find the black guy that always wanted to meet in the middle of the bridge, boyd ran to him for special favors

any one know the actors name ?

seems like he always had a giant cleaver handy

It was Bubba!!!!

AKA Mykelti Williamson (his real name). He played Limehouse on Justified, gave shelter a couple times to Rylan's mother.

Also liked Mykelti Williamson in an old series named Boomtown.

Probably best known for the role of Bubba from Forrest Gump.

Hey did you guys know he was Bubba on Forrest Gump?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I kind of lost it in season 3, I need to go back and watch it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560:
[

I was so suprised when I found out the actor playing Dewey was an Australian!

Dewey (Damon Herriman) as a transvestite in Secret City.
https://youtu.be/s5DPCSo-ffw

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1215 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Wrong show.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Wrong show.

Wrong show yes but still a little Boyd Crowder.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
A little more Boyd Crowder than I cared to see. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season 2 is my favorite. Mags makes that season.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My favorite show. I can watch it over and over. Probably twice a year is what I average.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely my favorite series. Season 5 was a bit weak but season 6 was excellent.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Jerry Jones mentioned, in an earlier thread on Justified, that there are plenty of real life Dewey Crowes down in that part of KY.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Justified was probably my all time favorite show.

posted Hide Post
‘Justified’ characters sound familiar? They’re shout-outs to The Ticket

Some back story with a north Texas connection.

"The Ticket" has taken over Harlan County, Ky. It often seems that way anyway, because many characters in FX's Justified have the same names as popular sports-talk personalities from Dallas radio station "The Ticket" KTCK-AM (1310).

It's not a coincidence. This is the handiwork of VJ Boyd, a writer-producer on the show, which airs at 9 p.m. Tuesdays.

Boyd's name-dropping shtick in his scripts is a shout-out to the city he grew up in and the station he still listens to.

"I do it because it's fun," Boyd says. "And I think it's fun for viewers if they're in on the joke."

Earlier this season, Justified viewers were introduced to Ty Walker, a silver-tongued devil played by Garret Dillahunt, and to Seabass, a baddie played by Scott Grimes.

Ty Walker, the station's afternoon Ticket Ticker anchor, and Sean "Seabass" Bass, co-host of Sunday's The Shake Joint, are well-known to regular listeners.

In previous seasons, buckaroo U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (played by Timothy Olyphant) met characters named T.C. Fleming (after The Ticket's Top Ten guy), Kemp (as in Jake Kemp, BaD Radio producer and Shake Joint co-host) and Donovan (as in Donovan Lewis, BaD Radio co-host).

"The first few times I did this, it was just a couple of last names here or first names there, so I don't think anyone really noticed," Boyd says. "The one that got people's attention was last season, when I did T.C. Fleming." On the show, Fleming is a computer hacker, played by T.J. Linnard, who wiped out Givens' credit.

"It's a very specific name. How many T.C. Flemings are there? I also threw in the last name Kemp in the same episode. That's when people started to notice it and talk about it. I've been able to work more of these in as I've gotten to write more episodes."

It's not just character names. In the second episode of the show's current farewell sixth season, Ty Walker paid a late-night visit to bank manager Joyce Kipling. While helping with her groceries, he asked, "What about eggs?" Dillahunt gave a menacing read to an ordinarily innocuous line, one that Ticket devotees, or "P1s," immediately recognized as one of the station's wacky, inside-joke audio segments, known in the business as drops.

The real Ty Walker, also the public address announcer for Dallas Sidekicks games, gets to claim a portion of the credit for naming the character.

"I follow VJ on Twitter and he follows me," Walker says. "After all the talk of his putting Ticket references into a show last year, I jokingly sent him a tweet saying, 'You have permission to use my name, ha ha ha.' A few months later, he sent a tweet back, with a photo of the actor's IMDB page and the character Ty Walker added to his list of credits. It's pretty cool."

So what's behind Boyd's obsession with The Ticket?

"Even though I'm out in L.A. now, I still listen to it on podcast or sometimes live," Boyd says. "They talk about things I'm interested in, like movies and TV shows that I watch and, of course, the sports teams I'm interested in. It makes me feel like I'm back home. So I wanted to give them a shout-out."

In return, Boyd got a hero's welcome last year when he sat in at the studio during a broadcast of BaD Radio, the nickname for the Bob and Dan show. "It's my favorite show on the station," he says. "It was a very surreal experience."

Not all of his private jokes are Ticket-inspired. "Sometimes I throw in a line that only my brother will get," he says. "And most of my episodes have something relating to the movie Silverado, because I'm a big fan."

One name Boyd can't claim credit for is Boyd Crowder, the charismatic villain played by Walton Goggins. Novelist Elmore Leonard, whose work inspired the TV series, invented Boyd the character.

Boyd the writer was born in Dallas and went to college at the University of Texas at Dallas. He moved to Los Angeles when he was 27 to pursue a writing career.

"I spent the first couple of years working as an assistant, which is kind of how you get your start - working in the mail room, so to speak," he says. "One of my assistant jobs was Season 1 of Justified.

"When it got renewed for Season 2, there was a spot open for a new writer, and I asked Graham Yost, who created the show and runs the show, if he'd consider me. He read my samples and hired me."

Boyd, whose other major writing credit is a graphic novel called Ghost Cop, has written two more scripts this season: Episode 8, set to air March 10, and Episode 12 in April.

"This is what I've wanted to do since I was 11 years old," Boyd says.

"I told Graham Yost, who is the best boss I've ever had, 'You made my dream come true. Now I have to come up with some new dreams.' "

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Limehouse cutting off Neal McDonough's arm with that cleaver was one of my favorite moments.

Such a great show.

Him reaching for his arm as Raylan pulled it away was priceless.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstex56:
‘Justified’ characters sound familiar? They’re shout-outs to The Ticket

Justified is credited to a short story by Elmore Leonard called Fire in the Hole. Leonard actually wrote four books featuring Raylan Givens, by name, the last being Raylan, and it was the last book written by Leonard before he died in 2012. The first appeared in 1997. Before you attribute the characters to some other work, you should read those four books. The characters have the same names and behaviors (Coover, throwing the dead rat, for example), but the plots are interweaved chronologically a bit differently than in the books. The first three seasons follow Leonard's works quite closely. It is possible that last three seasons drew from other sources.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Before you attribute the characters to some other work, you should read those four books.

Before you claim that the character names couldn't be attributed to The Ticket, you should read the rest of jstex56's post. Wink

VJ Boyd, the writer/producer of the show, specifically stated that he named a number of characters on the TV show after personalities on The Ticket radio station.

These are secondary/supporting characters, who were not present in Leonard's books, but who appeared in the TV show.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Re-watching it after seeing this thread. Just as good the third time through!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post