SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Can anyone recommend good family TV shows?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone recommend good family TV shows? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Our oldest (5 y/o) really like to watch "mom and dad's" TV shows, which really only amounts to Grand Tour (i.e. original Top Gear). Though, sometimes the language/content isn't appropriate, so we don't often do this. What is everybody watching for decent family friendly TV anymore?

Growing up shows like Home Improvement were safe as there wasn't any cussing or anything too racy. Now however most network shows frequently use curse words and have gotten to the point that I wouldn't let a 15 year old watch them, much less a 5 year old.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do you have Netflix or are you just referring to network TV?

Heartland on Netflix is very family friendly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
"The Middle" started out decent enough and has gotten better over its run. This is its last season and gotten a little wobbly but not running off the rails.

The problem with shows like this is the kids get older and the dynamic is lost. Somehow "The Middle" has used that aging as a strength. When the show is good, it's very good.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Last Man Standing is a great family show.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
little house on the prarie

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
"The Good Witch" from the Hallmark Channel, now on Netflix.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Plus 1 for Heartland. There are 9 seasons with episodes in the teens in all seasons. Good show for all ages and interests.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

Plus 1 for Heartland. There are 9 seasons with episodes in the teens in all seasons. Good show for all ages and interests.

Jim

I have 3 episodes left of season 9. Hoping season 10 drops on Netflix soon.
Season 11 is currently airing on whatever Canadian channel carries it.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Full House is clean, no cussing. Andy Griffith but the black & white might not hold interest for youngsters. There's always a life lesson.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have OTA, Netflix and Amazon.

Thanks for the several suggestions for Heartland. We'll check it out.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Our family loves Impractical Jokers. Not sure how appropriate it would be for a 5y/o.

But every time it is on, we all sit and watch together.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got rid of cable before I had kids about 11 years ago.

My kids have liked Dennis The Menace, Vegi Tales, The Three Stooges (in moderation),

We have bought for them Mr. Wizard and Magic Schoolbus.

I think the only current show they have seen is A Series Of Unfortunate Events. It is on Amazon or Netflix. They have read the books also.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Merlin and Granite Flats on Netflix

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I agree but unfortunately ABC didn't like a show that had a smart conservative. However, you can still view on Netflix.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I agree but unfortunately ABC didn't like a show that had a smart conservative. However, you can still view on Netflix.

It has been pulled from Netflix too but is available on Amazon Prime Video.

quote:
We have bought for them Mr. Wizard

Love Mr. Wizard. Was talking about it with my wife just the other night and was hoping someone was streaming it but only pay by the episode on Amazon.
My boy is getting into the kitchen science age shall we call it so I’ll likely spend the $130 on the DVD set.

————————————————