SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    did you see this kick return?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

did you see this kick return? Login/Join 
posted
https://www.star-telegram.com/...rticle218606850.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Saw it live.

Legitimate trick play, by the rules as written.

Goes against the spirit of the rules, though. Hence the NCAA's move to amend the rules to outlaw this trick play.

The idea of the "fair catch" rule is to prevent the punt returner from getting clobbered unnecessarily when they have no realistic chance to defend themself or make forward progress. Teams have this rule hammered into them, and there are stiff penalties (including ejection) when it's violated.

Yes, Arkansas should have paid a bit closer attention. However, this was a cheap shot that knowingly abused something that's repeatedly ingrained into every football player for legitimate safety reasons.

(Or I guess we could just do away with the fair catch rule altogether and let the receiver get obliterated every time. Big Grin)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I guess football has changed since I played (45 years ago)... I would have nailed that guy and he probably would have not caught another punt return for a long time.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I guess football has changed since I played (45 years ago)... I would have nailed that guy and he probably would have not caught another punt return for a long time.

I would have hammered him too, but now they probably throw flags for that. I'm waiting for everything short of the NFL to go to flag football.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Or I guess we could just do away with the fair catch rule altogether and let the receiver get obliterated every time. Big Grin)

I believe there is no fair catch in Canadian football but there is a five yard rule. Forces a return every time. More action.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the clip, as i could give two shits about any form of football. This made me laugh. Lets rule lawyer it till the games are set playes predetermined by attornies 3 years in advance.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I don't get where the "trick" comes in. The punt receiver never raised his hand (from what I could tell).

The kicking team should've been watching him the whole time and shame on the kicking team for not nailing him.

If the NCAA is upset with the manner which he caught the ball, do away with the run back option (it's for the children after all).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm with LS1....what was the trick? I thought the receiver would raise his hand and wave to indicate a 'fair catch' and then down himself by taking a knee. This dude just caught it and kinda stood there, then took off.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Why do we need a new rule about something like this? You can fool ‘em once, but....

Let’s fix the Clay Matthews can’t sack a QB rule instead.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He He, no I didn't see it live but that was GREAT! Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he'd been laid out flat and bounced his head off the turf a few times like a bobble-head doll, the coaches probably wouldn't be so proud of their trick play.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

No...football has not changed. The kick team was simply fooled by the actions of the returner. They could have hit him and I am quite sure the Arkansas players have hit a guy or two. The play wan't dirty but like RogueJSK said it does violate the spirit off the rule.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I would have hammered him too, but now they probably throw flags for that. I'm waiting for everything short of the NFL to go to flag football.
You clearly aren't paying attention, the NFL is every bit as close as the NCAA is to flag football, maybe closer.

You go right ahead and hammer him. They have players from Pop Warner to NFL so worried about player safety and personal fouls that football is a mere shadow of what it once was.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Play to the whistle.

At least one of the Arkansas gunners asked the returner why the ref hadn’t blown the whistle shortly before the returner took off.

The coach said they warned the officials before the game a trick was coming so there wouldn’t be an inadvertent whistle. The officials told the coach he was going to get his guy killed. The coach noticed on film that many teams half assed punt coverage and were halfway off the field in anticipation of a fair catch.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post