SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Dan Aykroid, Pearl Harbor.

Though not a primary role, he was great in Driving Miss Daisy.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael Keaton has done a couple 'serious' roles

definitely Tom Hanks (as previously mentioned)

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Jim Carey was good in The Majestic

And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And The Truman Show

The Number 23

Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Whoppie Goldburg - The Color Purple and Ghost

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Robin Williams in Insomnia

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Murray.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

At least two have.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I know he's been mentioned - Robin Williams.

Once he did a "serious" character I was impressed. Somewhere between "Patch Adams", "One Hour Photo", and (as I recall) once on that Special Victims Unit show.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Steve Martin took a serious role in Grand Canyon.

John Travolta went from Welcome Back Cotter to mostly serious movie roles.

Lily Tomlin was known as a comedic actress, I think until the supposedly god-awful romantic movie Moment by Moment (which co-starred Travolta).

I could be wrong, but I think Chris Pratt was known for Parks and Rec, but has had some serious movie roles, such as 2 Jurassic Park flicks, and Passangers.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Ed O'Neill went from Married with Children to a cop show I've never seen

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Ed O'Neill went from Married with Children to a cop show I've never seen

Dragnet.

Interestingly, in the 1991 film adaptation of Flight of the Intruder, the original court martial scene included Ed O’Neill as the flag officer that ran the Court martial proceedings. The test audiences began to laugh as “Admiral Bundy” walked into the court room. The scene was reshot with another actor in the role.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dragnet.

Dragnet is Jack Webb and Harry Morgan. Just the facts maam just the facts.. Putting Ed Oneil in that role was just stupid.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^
Yep. Forget the name of the movie, but he played the role very well of a Coked up addict. Almost too believable..

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

I feel like this is a bad Groundhog Day joke...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Ed O'Neill's had more serious roles than not. He worked a number of years before Married with children.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Adam Sandler is the most recent to come to mind.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
Though he certainly still has some humorous scenes, I'd say Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Kristen Wiig from SNL is a very busy actress. Many here will have seen her in The Martian.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Ed O'Neill's had more serious roles than not. He worked a number of years before Married with children.

He was the buddy that couldn't go on the mission with Christopher Walken and Tom Berenger in Dogs of War. A very underrated war movie, and one that gives pretty solid insight to old school mercenary work.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Jeff Daniels comes to mind

He obviously has done dumb and dumber

And was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in Gettysburg (and superb in the role)

He seems to move fairly seamlessly between the genres

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^
Yep. Forget the name of the movie, but he played the role very well of a Coked up addict. Almost too believable..

The movie was Clean and Sober. Incredible performance but depressing story.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post