SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stephen Hunter interview in "Recoil" magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Hunter interview in "Recoil" magazine Login/Join 
posted
For those of you in Rio Linda, Hunter is the creator of Bob Lee Swagger.

https://www.recoilweb.com/zero...n-hunter-129399.html

http://www.simonandschuster.co...ephen-Hunter/1485163

There is lots of good info in Recoil, including back issues:

https://www.recoilweb.com/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great author. I've read all of his books.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Agreed. Not so much a fan of the film adaptations, but that's not on him.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
The Day Before Midnight IMO is the best of the books but most of them are excellent!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Good guy. We talked to him for a few minutes at SHOT some years ago.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
He is one of my favorite authors. I have 21 books by him including an autographed copy of Hot Springs. They are all good but Point of Impact and Time to Hunt are my favorites.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's funny how Second Saladin, Master Sniper, and Dirty White Boys aren't actual Bob Lee Swagger novels, yet exist within the same universe with people and/or events directly affecting him.

I'm currently reading G-Man, which is about his grandfather, Charles Swagger.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make old Chuck any less an evil sonofabitch in the new book? Honestly, one character I would have preferred stay dead.

For the uninitiated, Charles Swagger is a prohibition era lawman with questionable moral leanings that was verbally and physically abusive to his wife and both sons. Liked alcohol, gambling and pre-teen boys. Covered it all with a heavy veil of religion and piety.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I haven’t finished reading the book, yet; however, what I’ve read portrays him in the period of time when he was a decent man.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great books. Completed Hot Springs and a Time to Hunt. Black Light is next.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Have great memories of reading all those books. Had a particular liking for the Earl Swagger novels, including Havana.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I haven’t finished reading the book, yet; however, what I’ve read portrays him in the period of time when he was a decent man.

Best I can figure, he kept the kinks hidden well enough until the train robbery depicted in Hot Spriings. I think his conscience got the best of him after that...

Either way, I wish he'd have been left in the past.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan until Charles Swagger. Hunter totally jumped the shark with me with the samurai novel. Haven’t read anything of his since, it was total dreck. I enjoyed the Swagger series in general, but The Master Sniper was my favorite, hands down. The title sounds cheesy and off-putting, but if you are at all interested in WWII, it’s worth a read. It’s a stand-alone that I think is one of his best works.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post