SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Former cable hunting show host Christopher Brackett accused of federal hunting violations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former cable hunting show host Christopher Brackett accused of federal hunting violations Login/Join 
posted
We don't get the Outdoor Channel, some of you may have watched the guy's programs.

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20...l-hunting-violations

Former cable hunting show host accused of federal hunting violations

By Andy Kravetz
of the Journal Star

Posted at 2:53 PM
Updated at 7:21 PM

PEORIA — An East Peoria man and host of a cable TV hunting show was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury for allegedly killing more deer than he was legally allowed.

The indictment against Christopher Brackett, 41, alleges that in 2013, he engaged in illegal hunting by killing two bucks in Indiana and then brought them back to Illinois. At the time, Indiana allowed hunters to kill one antlered deer per season.

Brackett, whose program, “Fear No Evil,” aired on the Outdoor Channel, allegedly filmed a hunt in December 2013 in the Hoosier State for an episode of his show that featured him killing an 11-point deer that he nicknamed the “Unicorn Buck.” But on that same day, the indictment alleges, he shot and killed a smaller, eight-point deer, which was the illegal act. The so-called “Unicorn Buck” was registered with the state of Indiana under his license, and he transported it to Illinois. But the other deer, the indictment alleges, wasn’t registered and was not included in the edited footage of the show.

A day later, on Dec. 22, 2013, the indictment alleges, Brackett purchased a second non-resident deer muzzleloader permit under his cameraman’s name and then registered the smaller buck with the permit purchased in the cameraman’s name.

A date for Brackett to appear in court has not yet been set. If convicted of conspiring to violate the Lacey Act, he faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Andy Kravetz can be reached at 686-3283 or akravetz@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter @andykravetz.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess i am confused..... Killing more deer than the state limit is a federal crime?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crossing state lines is a Lacey Act violation and the Feds get involved.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Seems like much ado about very little. Cite him fo the 2nd deer, maybe the camera man for his complicity, and life goes on.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Most state laws mirror federal game laws. Our F&W guys have federal jurisdiction as well.

This tagging fraud is common, nobody gives a fuck, but I’d say beings this is a commercial program that’s why the grand jury smack down.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Seems like much ado about very little. Cite him fo the 2nd deer, maybe the camera man for his complicity, and life goes on.

The camera man is the one who turned him in I believe. The story goes that is was berating the camera man which apparently wasn’t well recieved so the footage of him killing both deer was released.

He won’t serve any jail time but the fines are likely to be substantial and may lose hunting privledges for a bit.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
they might throw the book at him since he's a "celebrity." otherwise I'd guess a plea deal and a $1500-2000 fine. carrying it across state lines might bump it up past that, though, I don't know.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Fuck him, he's a poacher not a hunter and he deserves as much punishment as the law allows. His crimes were committed due to greed and that second buck was taken away from someone who actually had respect for the rules or (had it survived the season) could have lived to pass it's genetics to future generations.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Fuck him, he's a poacher not a hunter and he deserves as much punishment as the law allows. His crimes were committed due to greed and that second buck was taken away from someone who actually had respect for the rules or (had it survived the season) could have lived to pass it's genetics to future generations.

meh... game limits are an arbitrary number that the government settles on after a bunch of biologists and lobbyists get a hold of them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post