SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What song(s) have you been listening to regularly for decades?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What song(s) have you been listening to regularly for decades? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
They never get old. You listen to them on a weekly or monthly basis, even though they died out long ago.

For me, I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughn's instrumental only version of "Little Wing" somewhere around May or June of 1992 in Millington, TN when I checked into NAS Millington. One of my roommates had the CD "The Sky is Crying" which was the last album released by SRV's brother. "Little Wing" was not previously released on any other album and the track instantly stuck to me.

I never go more than a couple of weeks or maybe a month without listening to it. It's best listened to by yourself, wearing high quality headphones with a glass of bourbon and all the lights dimmed after everyone has gone to bed or their away on a trip.

Other honorable mentions are "Badfish" by Sublime

There are other great songs, but "Little Wing" has been the one that has never faded from my playlist.

What's yours, if you have one?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the oldest would the be the Johnny Cash songs I grew up listening to with my father: Orange Blossom Special, A Boy Named Sue, Ring of Fire, Walk the Line, Folsom Prison Blues, etc.

The next oldest would be my Pink Floyd albums, which Dad did not listen to with me: Animals, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, The Final Cut.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Sound of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel.
Right down the line-Gerry Rafferty
Sister Golden hair(surprise)-America
Into the mystic-Van Morrison.
Southern Cross-Crosby,stills and Nash.
Cool change-Little river band
I've got a rock n roll hear-Clapton

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Fantasia soundtrack
Yellow Brick Road
Welcome Back My Friends
Jeff Beck
Surfing With The Alien
Night at the Opera

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
And You and I - Yes
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep
Awaken - Yes
Joe´s Garage - Frank Zappa
Why does it hurt when I pee? - Frank Zappa
Bobby Brown - Frank Zappa
Ziggy Stardust - Bowie
Five Years - Bowie
a lot of Bowie, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Who, etc.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, various artists, but mostly The Band and Joan Baez.

Blackberry Blossom, various (many) artists.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The entire Back in Black album

Red Headed Stranger

Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain

War Pigs

Iron Man

That’s the short off the top of my head list.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Any song from Eat a Peach.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me The Breeze, What's Your Name, Free Bird, Gimme 3 Steps....

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'd have to think on it for a while, but off the top of my head:

-- Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
-- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole
-- I've Got You Under my Skin by Frank Sinatra (Live with Count Basie at the Sands)
-- American Pie by Don McLean
-- Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot (in fact, this is now one of my grandson's favorite songs Razz )

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
My Old School

Baker Street

American Woman

Show Biz Kids

Hercules - Elton John

Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

Thick as a Brick

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed ("a song Dickie Betts wrote from our second album") Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Hybrid - Finished Symphony. It was a Welch techno group that recorded the tracks with the Russian Federal Orchestra.
What they created is quite amazing.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is hard to argue with any that have been mentioned. All absolutely great music.

the Outlaws.

Green grass and high tides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaS_vYIQ_A

Johnny cash
Ghost Riders in the sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mynzbmrtp9I

and one of my favorites

Ava Maria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4xXvF2ukY

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AC/DC.
Those about to rock, salute you!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
most of the stuff from my high school years,

Costello
Numan
Zappa (big fan of Sheik Yabouti and a lot of his instrument stuff)
Morrissey/Smiths

and a few other never get old

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few off the top of my head:

Johnny B. Goode - Check Berry
Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
What'd I Say - Ray Charles
Run Through The Jungle - CCR
La Grange - ZZ Top
It's Bad You Know - R.L. Burnside

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I have a 4+ hour playlist of favorite drum-along tunes that I drum-along to at least once a week, usually about 2-3 hours at a time. Most all are 1970s-80s rock and/or blues.

Similar collection of guitar tunes to play along with, and then lots of other favorite songs that imo are either no good to play along with, are in non-standard tunings, or too difficult.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post