SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Man on Fire question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man on Fire question Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I saw the whole movie a long time ago, and caught part of it last night. I don't remember what happened to Creasy in the past, did he have a family that was killed?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Only thing I remember is that he went from the military to being a bodyguard/fixer because of Rayburn. I don't know if he had a family.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember a family ever being mentioned.
I think “The Job”wore him down. Pita made him feel human again. Which is why he went Old Testament on her kidnappers.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, which movie? the scott glenn or the denzel?

In the denzel one, he left cia wet work because he was a drunk. His demons got to him. He was on his last legs, and Rayburn threw him a lifeline.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

In the denzel one, he left cia wet work because he was a drunk. His demons got to him. He was on his last legs, and Rayburn threw him a lifeline.

This.

I will add this is why he was so amenable to the 'suicide trade' for Pita... he realized he couldn't abide in this world anymore after what he had gone through to save her.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I got the impression that he was a drunk BECAUSE of the wet work, and his guilt and remorse started to overwhelm him. The job with the kid was a bone thrown to an old friend down on his luck, then he came to love her.

I also interpreted that he was mortally wounded at the end anyhow, so he kinda got one over on the kidnappers when they traded for him, and then he died on the car ride. Wrong?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That's how I took it to be.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I got the impression that he was a drunk BECAUSE of the wet work, and his guilt and remorse started to overwhelm him. The job with the kid was a bone thrown to an old friend down on his luck, then he came to love her.

I also interpreted that he was mortally wounded at the end anyhow, so he kinda got one over on the kidnappers when they traded for him, and then he died on the car ride. Wrong?
This. He went home to the Blue Bayou... Thats is why the played the Linda Ronstadt song, Blue Bayou. Personally, I thought it was a great movie.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
His life had run him down and he was looking for a "pure" purpose.

I see it a bit as an allegory to our modern day lives that grind us away and find us in search for the simple things that really matter, the things that redeem us.

Man On Fire is a fantastic movie.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I agree on slabsides45's take.

Can't remember when the exchange was in the movie, but Creasy asks, "Do you think God will ever forgive us for what we've done?"

And Rayburn's smile freezes on his face and he says, "No."

Then there was the scene when Pita gives him the necklace, where they're talking about how him and Rayburn were going to conquer the world together when they were young, before Rayburn met his wife and "went ooooooooohhhhhhhh."

I took the backstory to be that Rayburn got out of whatever the hell spooky Black Ops shit they were into at some point after he got married. Creasy stayed too long and burned out, and then either by invitation or self-invitation wound up at Rayburn's in the southwest as the wreck we met at the beginning of the movie.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post