SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM - Them!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM - Them! Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
One of the worst movies of all time is about to start

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Noooo Eek

One of the best 50's sci-fi, nuke mutation monster movies, maybe the best. Quality production, state of the art FX, great cast. James Arness' role opened the door for "Gunsmoke", Fess Parker got "Davy Crockett" because of this film.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It was actually pretty good. Cheezie ants but good locations and live action.

Yes, lots of interesting characters. Apparently filmed in B&W because the studio didn’t want to spend a lot on it and it became a hit.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
So bad it's good.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
It was okay, better than 'The Giant Gila Monster'-which I liked for the cars.

There was another one, I forget the name, where the kids of the town surrounded and illuminated a space invader with their cars.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
There was another one, I forget the name, where the kids of the town surrounded and illuminated a space invader with their cars.

Invasion of the Saucer Men 1957

Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I loved it as a kid! James Whitmore, a Thompson SMG, and giant radioactive ants! What's not to like???? Big Grin

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Lots of machine guns and flame throwers. What’s not to like about flame throwers.

posted Hide Post
Carbines and Thompsons had to use multiple rounds to drop the giant ants. Garand, one or two shots and it was down. Trying to recall if they used Ma Deuce on them ant critters...

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I swear that movie is possibly WHY I ended up in the cop job.

When the NM Trooper abandons. his pistol, runs to the patrol car for his THOMPSON! That really got to me as a ten yr old.

Sadly during my career in rural LE no mutated insects and no tommy gun in the trunk. DID have an M-14 though.

Next to DTESS an The Thing, Them is one of my childhood favorites.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I remember it. Special effects a little contrived, but OK for the 1950s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Ants, rabbits ("Night of the Lepus") lizards (Godzilla)- what else did radiation cause to become giant in hokey sci-fimovies? Oh, moths, too (Mothra). And shrews, who could forget "The Killer Shrews"? (well, everybody, but still....)

Anything else?

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Ants, rabbits ("Night of the Lepus") lizards (Godzilla)- what else did radiation cause to become giant in hokey sci-fimovies? Oh, moths, too (Mothra). And shrews, who could forget "The Killer Shrews"? (well, everybody, but still....)

Anything else?

Don't forget Klowns.

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space." - 1988.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

Anything else?

Don't forget Klowns.

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space." - 1988.

Women. Spiders. Octopuses. Whatever Rodan was.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anything else?

Attack of the Crab Monsters!

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anything else?
Grasshoppers: "Beginning of the End" with Peter Graves as a USDA researcher blasting away with a Thompson, while trying to escape from Chicago before it's nuked. Never in my 30 some yrs. with USDA was I given a Thompson. (snapping fingers)

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I loved it as a kid! James Whitmore, a Thompson SMG, and giant radioactive ants! What's not to like???? Big Grin

Yes! This^ A good one from a long time ago.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I think it was a good movie for its time. No CGI.
I think the sounds the ants made was irritating to great effect.
Besides you had Tommy guns, flamethrowers. rifle grenades; you dont see that anymore!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post