SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Hives - Hate to Say I Told You So
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hives - Hate to Say I Told You So Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Anyone else like these guys? Swedish band - I’m late to the party, cause this has been out sine 2000. Lead in sounds like a Sex Pistols “Pretty Vacant” homage, then they go right into their own mode.

Always gets cranked up when it comes up on my play list...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Uz1Jwyxd4tE

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Die Alright" is also really good.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/iXqujk-b7DI

I've got a few of their songs on a playlist I use for snowboarding.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
there were a number of these lo-fi retro-rock/grunge/punk acts in the early 2000's. the strokes, the hives, wolfmother, jet, black rebel motorcycle club, et. al.

as usual, the masses who had been spoon-fed contrived pop music heard it and fell in love despite having never heard the music it so clearly descended from. (not saying you're one of those, which is obvious by the fact that you didn't actually hear it until 17 years later.)

and then the tides changed and they all fell by the way side. except for the white stripes, I guess, who had a bit more staying power.

it's not just this genre... I think it is why people went ape over someone like Adele. She is clearly talented and authentic but she is treated as if she invented soul music because pop music listening teens have had britney spears and pink shoved down their throats their entire lives.

sorry for the rant.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Yellowjacket - I hear you. One of the fun things about raising a teenager was exposing her to the wide world of music. She is now a pretty well plugged in 23-year old.

I lived through the first incarnation of punk and grunge. Actually saw the Ramones in CBGBs, Dead Kennedys at my high school, and got to live in Athens, GA twice (85’ and 89’).

Part of the fun of the new generation (even the Hives of 17 years ago) is seeing a new spin on an old genre.

Few will have “staying power”, as the vast majority of bands are lucky to have “a” hit, let alone one or more successful albums.

Day job and kids makes it harder to keep up. I miss Lester Bangs’ reviews.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Hives are Punk/Post Punk

I am really digging the punk revival as of late.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
As a rule, I don't listen to music when I run. The exception is when I get to 20 mile runs.

I pretty much exclusively listen to The Hives.

One of the things I like about them is they are willing to do a variety of styles.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post