SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Last Flight of the Vulcan bomber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Flight of the Vulcan bomber Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Netflix. The last one retired from airshows due to the lack of the civil authorities to muster the expertise to inspect this old bomber.

Beautiful aircraft, annoying host.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have that on my list. I'm looking forward to it. The Vulcan is indeed a beautiful aircraft.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Agreed - beautiful plane and wonderful howl.

Most annoying host ever though.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to see a Vulcan fly at an airshow in the early 1980's at CFB Shearwater

awesome airplane

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Please explain the use of the word "host" in this context.
Thank you.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I assume he's talking about Guy Martin .

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you, cas. Wrongly assumed it was a technical term regarding the ane. Silly me. Roll Eyes

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I saw one fly at the official grand opening of D/FW airport in 1975. Loudest airplane I ever heard. Felt like it shook the ground under your feet.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If you don't have Netflix, the full episode and more can be found on YouTube.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bald, I had not thought about looking on Utube.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Does the UK even have a strategic bomber force any more?

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I saw one at an airshow at Fairchild AFB in the early 80's. Very impressive plane indeed. It was amazing how slow it could fly and how loud it was.

I'm definitely going to watch this.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched a Spitfire documentary that was hosted by Martin.
Great plane, good info. Showed the Spit going head to head with a restored ME109.
Good documentary. Bad host.
I guess I will suffer him again to look at the Vulcan.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Does the UK even have a strategic bomber force any more?

AFAIK, their only strategic force is a few Trident subs.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just watched this and I'm glad I did. A good documentary about an awesome machine. I had no idea that a Vulcan had a role in the Falklands war with 7 refuelings. Amazing.

I didn't think Guy Martin did a bad job of narration. You could tell he was really into it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one of the bombers that had been converted to an aerial refueling role at an airshow in the Sacramento area in 1983 - I remember the date as it was the day of the bombing of the barracks in Beirut.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good show, The 3 crew member in the back seat in a bailout never survived.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post