SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting how you can spot quality in just a few moments.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting how you can spot quality in just a few moments. Login/Join 
posted
I don't know how I missed it, but I've never seen Ronin. Just got it in a DVD set, and I liked it from the opening seconds of the establishing shot on a Paris street. I'm only about thirty minutes into it, but it has been captivating every minute. The reverse is also true; I've seen movies that I knew I wasn't going to like in just a very few minutes. What are some that worked the same way for you?

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Ronin is my favorite movie, ever. I liked every single aspect of it, and I've always liked DeNiro's work.

The recent movie that got me was The Accountant. Had no intention of watching it at all, but a bunch of recommendations here got me to, and I'm glad I did.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
What color is the boathouse at Hereford?

Love this movie too!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
My high school buddy and I saw a cardboard stand-up ad in a theater lobby for this movie called Robocop back in the '80s. We both thought it looked really stupid and childish. My other friend said the trailer looked really violent. I said that the film would only work if it was hardcore violent and didn't pull its punches.

We all went to an advance showing (it played with Predator! That was a kick-ass double feature!). I told everyone I need to see at least one super violent scene. If they have one, I'll know that it will be an okay movie. After that scene in the beginning where the ED-209 robot malfunctions and blows that OCP executive to pieces, I leaned over and told the guys, "This is going to be one of the most awesome movies ever." And I was right.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I'm only about thirty minutes into it, but it has been captivating every minute.

You stopped 30 minutes into Ronin to post here? Razz

The only things wrong with Ronin are the incomplete explanation of the actual story of the 47 Ronin (which would have kind of altered the point that the movie needed to make, so that's okay) and that it wasn't long enough. Just kind of wanted it to keep going somehow, although the closing scene is perfect.

As to your original question, I almost wept when I saw the trailer for Episode VII. Turns out it was a little better than the actual movie, but I'll still defend it as a return to Star Wars from all of the bullshit prequels.

Now that I think about it, The Negotiator pulled me in very quickly. I don't remember being distracted or bored at any point during that film.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oh uh, he wasn't finished?

Ronin is movie where I fade out at the end. And I went through a lot to see it, actually ended up buying it on DVD just to finally see it. The car chase everyone loves tunes me out I think. I've seen it a couple times, and sitting here typing I honestly can't remember how the movie ends.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie especially the various weapons the directors chose to use.

Reflecting on CAS statement, I cannot remember how the movie ends either.

Well, I now have something to do this weekend besides pack the house up.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Great question, and I know exactly what you mean. For me, Once Upon a Time in America, Field of Dreams, Drive, Sicario, and Heat are among the (many) movies that 'had me at hello.'

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin isn't my favorite movie (Dawn of the Dead 2004 is) but I'd say it's my favorite Robert DeNiro flick. I like it more than Heat. It is one of the best films where DeNiro isn't playing a typical DeNiro character. And also, spoiler alert, Sean Bean is in it and doesn't die!

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way of the Gun and another DeNiro flick, Killer Elite were two movies that upon the first 30-minutes, I knew this was going to be a fun ride.

Ronin was directed by John Frankenheimer who can be considered the last of the old school, all controlling directors. The look of the movie and the depth of the plot lines is a reminder of 50-60's era thrillers. Filmed on-scene give's it a nice appeal, edge and quality you don't find in many films today.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Ronin is just a great movie, one of my favorites.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Oh uh, he wasn't finished?

Ronin is movie where I fade out at the end. And I went through a lot to see it, actually ended up buying it on DVD just to finally see it. The car chase everyone loves tunes me out I think. I've seen it a couple times, and sitting here typing I honestly can't remember how the movie ends.

So you learned the second lesson? Big Grin

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Lol!

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
My high school buddy and I saw a cardboard stand-up ad in a theater lobby for this movie called Robocop back in the '80s. We both thought it looked really stupid and childish. My other friend said the trailer looked really violent. I said that the film would only work if it was hardcore violent and didn't pull its punches.

We all went to an advance showing (it played with Predator! That was a kick-ass double feature!). I told everyone I need to see at least one super violent scene. If they have one, I'll know that it will be an okay movie. After that scene in the beginning where the ED-209 robot malfunctions and blows that OCP executive to pieces, I leaned over and told the guys, "This is going to be one of the most awesome movies ever." And I was right.

The commercials in RoboCop are epic to this day. The whole get me a fast car that gets really shitty gas mileage still makes me laugh. He wanted a recount and no matter what, his old job back.

It's been a while since I seen something that blew my hair back in the first 5 minutes. Gravity, in 3D, at the theater was the last one, few years ago. Within a couple minutes from the first frame, shit goes all to hell, it's in 3D, and it looks completely real.

Heat also comes to mind. The soundtrack is stunning, first scene the train, Deniro/Neil, stolen ambulance, armed robbery, 187, cops, Sgt. Hanna. Mann's soundtrack completely on point from the first key to the last. That damn movie blew my ass away. Incredible film that people will be watching long after I'm in the ground.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post