SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rolex Experts Step on in
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolex Experts Step on in Login/Join 
posted
Hey Folks,

How about some help. I would like to put a leather strap on this watch. It is a model 1601 from 1964.

Was my dad's watch that he gave to me. If anyone knows how I can accomplish this, please let me know.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Pop the springbars. Measure the lugs (probably 20mm). Get a generic/custom/factory 20mm strap. Boom.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Their is a forum all about watches, TRF The Rolex Forum. Look in the classifieds there, you will find many options, and folks who can tell you what will fit what.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually did post on Rolex forum. Not much help, thought I would try here.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can put the watch on a leather strap fairly easily. Take it to a jeweler that sells watches, they will have replacement leather straps and spring bars.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Yes, you can put the watch on a leather strap fairly easily. Take it to a jeweler that sells watches, they will have replacement leather straps and spring bars.

I wish saddle back leather made watch bands... not seeing anything I love at the moment.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but I have switched out a GMT
oyster bracelet for a jubilee.

I didn't want to do any damage to the spring bars so I got a Bergeon spring bar removal tool.

Once you have the bracelet removed,
you can put on a new bracelet/band yourself.

(Should you ever want to resize your bracelet, you'd need a 1.10 mm screwdriver/blade).

You can buy the spring bar removal tool at Otto Frei(and also the blade):

www.ofrei.com/bergeon-tools.html

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish saddle back leather made watch bands... not seeing anything I love at the moment.

Eek
For just a moment, you had me VERY happy when my eyes saw only saddle back and watch bands in the same sentence. Then I read the whole thing....drat.

Frown

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I perused the Rolex forums but I remember there was a fellow in Hong Kong who repaired bands like the one in the OP's picture to like new fit. As I recall his work was very well regarded and not that expensive relative to buying a new band.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
It's been a while since I perused the Rolex forums but I remember there was a fellow in Hong Kong who repaired bands like the one in the OP's picture to like new fit. As I recall his work was very well regarded and not that expensive relative to buying a new band.

David does excellent work. I actually sent it to him and he did his best. The clasp of the jubellie (sp?) band is very well worn and beyond real daily use.

Hence my thought to find a leather strap for it.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

Yes, his reputation is sterling. http://www.classicwatchrepair....ish/band-restoration A new bracelet from Rolex in gold and steel costs a lot - the repair is cheap in comparison.

But any competent watch shop can change it to a leather strap. Hell, nearly anyone with a spring bar tool can do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
What would an old Rolex like that be worth these days?

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
What would an old Rolex like that be worth these days?

https://www.bobswatches.com/

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, great site with lots of info.

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few bands/straps from https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/ and had good luck.

These are not super top quality leather bands, most likely, but they are cheap and might give you an idea of what you want before you drop big bucks on something else.

Also, this image was posted in the watch thread in the gallery and shows how you take the pins out with a metal bracelet. Taking a bracelet off is much easier than getting it back on, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of videos on how to do this on Youtube.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Go to Amazon and search for 20MM watch bands. Drink until you thirst no more.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
I ordered a leather strap from Bas and Lokes a few years ago and couldn't be more pleased with the quality and finish.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to Amy at www.globalwatchband.com . She'll fix you up .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I sent my 1980 stainless/gold Datejust band to Michael Young, the guy jeh888 provided the link for, about two years ago. It looked about like yours and I was amazed how much better he was able to make it.
I was afraid to wear it before the work and a new band was very expensive and the gold didn't match my 14k model.
As I recall it was about $200 plus Fedex over and back and he returned it within about 30 days of when I sent it off.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post