SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I have a new favorite Sci-Fi Universe - Babylon 5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a new favorite Sci-Fi Universe - Babylon 5 Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
My wife and I just finished the last of all the Babylon 5 video discs last night (The Lost Tales). All 5 seasons, all the movies, and the Crusade series as well. My wife and I both agree that it is now our favorite sci-fi universe, even over Star Wars and Star Trek.

Loved the characters, character development, the story writing, the vast variety of real and relate-able topics, all the twists and turns, the fact that God was notably present throughout the story line, even seeing the progression to better and better graphics and CGI as time went on. The combination of Newtonian physics along with other technologies was very believable and cool too. I have to say that it was extremely enjoyable and we could definitely see going back and watching EVERYTHING again at some point.

It was quite ironic that we got to and watched the Crusade series during the last couple of weeks with COVID-19 going on. We really wished they had been able to make more seasons as my wife and I read up on some of the more silly reasons that worked together to cut the Crusade story/series unnecessarily short including that the writers refused TNT's request to have more sex/sexual leaning content in more of the episodes. Just to clarify, they should have come to some agreement, but I agree with the writers that there was no need to make Crusade a more T&A / sexually dependent show.

All in all, it was a most excellent voyage through the Babylon 5 story universe! We just wish there was even more content!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Managed to watch just about all of it when it originally aired and felt the same as you then and now.

Bought the whole shooting match a few years ago from amazon, and of course now it is on prime. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“Comet-TV” has been showing the entire series (2 episodes per night) on Monday thru Thursday. One of the most profound, and currently timely, was “Confessions and Lamentations” (Season 2, Episode 18) about the plague on the “Markab” that was 100% fatal.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't agree more, the show was great. I made the wife watch it with me a few years ago and within a few episodes she was hooked. The by-play between Lando and G'Kar, the fight between Babylon 5, the Churchill and the Alexander vs. the Clark Loyalists, and the entire season wondering what was going on with Garibaldi. A great series that was well planned and executed.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
That was Zathrus, I am Zathrus.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. You know I think I saw this the other day when browsing Netflix, or one of my other apps. When I saw it I just had a flash of Battlestar Galactica in my mind for some reason, but just couldn't place it and moved on as there is so much content to watch. I'll check it out today!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It’s a shame that Warner Bro’s. want nothing to do with a series they spent little on yet prints money.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
That was Zathrus, I am Zathrus.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When B5 first came on I watched a couple of episodes and thought "meh" and quit watching. A year or so later I stumbled on it again and watched a couple more episodes. What surprised me was that those episodes contained references to things I remembered seeing in season 1. That peaked my interest so I kept watching. It turned out to be probably the best sci-fi series ever. I sat and watched them all again on Prime last year. Zathras is probably my favorite character(s).

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I still have my vhs collectiont that i taped off the tv.

I've bought most of the dvds over the years and my kids and I still watch it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just started in on DS9 using Hulu on my Apple TV box

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Zathrus is beast of burden.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Geek out for a moment but loved B5. Wish we could get better versions of the episodes now, would watch again with my kids.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zathras say, this wrong tool.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I just started in on DS9 using Hulu on my Apple TV box

Up until the last couple of weeks before I cut the cord, I was getting my "fix" of DS9 on the BBC each week with my AT&T Direct TV. I'd DVR about 6 or 7 newer episodes. I'm a fan of DS9. Now that I can get it from the 1rst episode on with the Apple TV, I've started binging and really enjoy it. With Direct TV I had left off with the Dominion wars, the Founders and Jem Hadar fighters. Watching it all from the beginning is like new content, so I'm locked in for awhile Smile

***On another note, I checked yesterday and see that there is a charge $$ for watching Babylon 5? I'm new to the streaming so I don't know yet if it's just for 1 episode or the full episodes when I click on it?

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, Amazon Prime has dropped the series from the free side. Again, WB cares nothing for the IP and doesn’t do anything to promote or further the series.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Supposedly, Amazon Prime has dropped the series from the free side. Again, WB cares nothing for the IP and doesn’t do anything to promote or further the series.

Well, crap.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
What’s even worse is when I checked Amazon, I got this message, “Our agreements with the content provider don’t allow purchases of this title at this time.”

I don’t know if WB is planning a streaming service or what. I did stumble on this site that does have some interesting info on the series:

Www.freebabylon5.com

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm just old-fashioned. I bought all 5 seasons on DVD (including the movies, but not Lost Tales yet).

It is EXCELLENT, even some episodes on Season 5, which many hard-core fans simply ignore. JMS had a 5-season story arc planned out, but the studio only gave him 4 seasons. So, he crammed everything into 4 seasons. Then, they gave him another season. This is why most of Season 5 feels like it was pulled out of thin air.

I love the ships, despite the special effects. Honestly, I cannot care whether some feel that the SFX seem 'dated.' The Shadow ships are amazing, and I think the SFX stand up to scrutiny even after all this time. I watched the show when it was on tv. It's amazing.

Lando and J'Kar were two of the greatest characters in Sci-Fi, and Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek) was outstanding as a smug snake psychic villain/bureaucrat.

Oh, check out Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight. It's a pilot episode for a series that didn't happen. It's really good.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
It is EXCELLENT, even some episodes on Season 5, which many hard-core fans simply ignore. JMS had a 5-season story arc planned out, but the studio only gave him 4 seasons. So, he crammed everything into 4 seasons. Then, they gave him another season. This is why most of Season 5 feels like it was pulled out of thin air.

And a smaller budget, but didn’t stop them experimenting with full CGI sets like when they visited the Drazi Homeworld.