SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Well, I Thought I Didn't Like Hurdy Gurdy Music
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, I Thought I Didn't Like Hurdy Gurdy Music Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I present to you Patty Gurdy

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyIXR3s8OtY

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7B15v51Ro4

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
She's so awesome that she got my entire family into liking the Hurdy Gurdy Smile Don't know why but I am drawn to obscure music like this. So many great artists on YouTube.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hell, she's a ginger, so what's not to like? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What a strange sound, not typical of most stringed instruments. It resembles that of bagpipes.

I have a kind of fascination with musical instruments, both in how they are made and how they are played.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
And evidently there are Kit's !!

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I came across her a year or so ago. The tune was "Gurdy's Green". Love that stuff.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
So that's what Donovan was talking about all those years ago!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was always one of my favorites from Donovan.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had heard the term Hurdy Gurdy all my life, but never knew what one was, much less that it was a musical instrument, until this thread. I listened to some HG music on YouTube, and read some about how they work. I was really interested in those special sounding drone strings. There are four of them, and they can be used all together, or just one, or in any combination, and they can be tuned. Instruments with drones (bagpipes, 5-string banjo, etc.) have always captured my interest.

How a Hurdy Gurdy works.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPWxjZY6mQ

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They sound like music that you would play while working the ouiji board on a dark and stormy night , when the power has gone out and the phone lines are down, the only car won't start and no one has seen Shelly for over an hour

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
She's so awesome that she got my entire family into liking the Hurdy Gurdy Smile Don't know why but I am drawn to obscure music like this. So many great artists on YouTube.

I’m glad Marzy started this thread...I just subscribed to her channel...mutedblade, you are spot about YouTube having great and obscure artists Smile

Here’s another she did...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ec729nmajwc

I’ve always liked bagpipes too...here’s a cover of Shipping UpTo Boston from The Snake Charmer and The Goddesses Of The Bagpipes...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HXm8JdC4k4c

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First popular use I can remember was when I started watching Black Sails. It was very appropriate considering hurdy gurdy's were not-uncommon in the 18th century around Europe and in folk music.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post