SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What song for demonstrating an audio system / stereo? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My go-to reference album for demonstrating the nuances of my soundsystem is a vinyl copy of Ry Cooder's Jazz album. It literally sounds like a live performance of acoustic guitar and voice in my listening room.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Crystal Method - Starting Over is always my 1st demo track. (I have the DVD Audio disc with DTS). Absolutely immersed in sound when it is on.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/RxUMCpm4bBg

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
1812 Overture. Flight of the Valkerie. Star Wars theme of Darth Vader. You have to listen for solid bass, good mid range and treble without crackling or popping.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
To show off a system’s true high fidelity the music source should be a quality classical or jazz recording from a label like Telarc (now Concord). Pop music is produced and mixed to sound good on anything.

Ever see pictures of a studio? Next to the state-of-the-art monitors and soundboard you’ll notice small cheap speakers. That’s so the final mix of a pop/rock/rap recording will sound good on cheap home stereos, cars, and boom boxes.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
1812 Overture. Flight of the Valkerie. Star Wars theme of Darth Vader. You have to listen for solid bass, good mid range and treble without crackling or popping.

These are also excellent suggestions.

the 1812 with real cannons Wink (I have a vinyl version with a warning about possible speaker damage due to the real cannons being recorded.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Symphony Number Three in C Sharp Minor (the “Organ Symphony”) by Camille Saint-Sans. Especially the last part where the organ comes in.

This is what I was going to recommend as a single piece.

quote:
I usually use one vocalist, one guitar, one piano and one quartet or symphony.

I like to test for dynamics, accuracy and sound stage. Pick something that was recorded well that is very familiar to you.

This is also a good idea. Voice is one of the hardest things to reproduce accurately, I believe; as is piano. If you know exactly what the original sounds like, you will be able to determine nuances that shade toward or away from accuracy to the original sound.

Now that age has dampened my high-frequency response which is so much a part of hearing the harmonics that make up a complex tone, I can no longer hear the "sheen" of violins as I used to.

quote:
Ever see pictures of a studio? Next to the state-of-the-art monitors and soundboard you’ll notice small cheap speakers. That’s so the final mix of a pop/rock/rap recording will sound good on cheap home stereos, cars, and boom boxes

Perhaps. But true "studio monitors" at least from the time I was following this were usually extremely accurate, neutral speakers, and to standardize from one studio to the next--at least in the UK--the BBC had a speaker called the LS3/5A, made by Rogers, Goodman, Chartwell (IIRC) and others, built to exacting specifications so it would sound exactly the same from one studio to another.
I have an old pair of those from the 80's, and in demo'ing it to my (amateur musician) wife she and I thought it blew away the speakers we had been using (Dynaco's).

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
Ever see pictures of a studio? Next to the state-of-the-art monitors and soundboard you’ll notice small cheap speakers. That’s so the final mix of a pop/rock/rap recording will sound good on cheap home stereos, cars, and boom boxes

Perhaps. But true "studio monitors" at least from the time I was following this were usually extremely accurate, neutral speakers, and to standardize from one studio to the next--at least in the UK--the BBC had a speaker called the LS3/5A, made by Rogers, Goodman, Chartwell (IIRC) and others, built to exacting specifications so it would sound exactly the same from one studio to another.
I have an old pair of those from the 80's, and in demo'ing it to my (amateur musician) wife she and I thought it blew away the speakers we had been using (Dynaco's).

A former boss had a pair of the Rogers and they were excellent speakers.

And you're correct, the world class studios used expensive studio monitors, that minimized "coloring" the sound. Accurate, unforgiving studio monitors made by companies like Quested are pricey, extremely durable, and really nothing like home consumer speakers. Abbey Road used B&W 801 monitors for years, I would love a pair.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
The point I was trying to make is in ADDITION to the studio monitors you will also see the cheap speakers. The cheapies are there to monitor or hear what a pop song will sound like on low-end consumer speakers. Love 801s.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions so far. While it won't cover the audio spectrum, Pink Floyd's 'Welcome to the Machine' will give your bass a good workout.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First tune I thought of that would work is Also sprach
Zarathustra (2001 Space Odyssey)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxLacN2Dp6A

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about Edgar Winter: Frankenstein

Posts: 28 | Location: MS | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akwalker:
What about Edgar Winter: Frankenstein

Page 2, 2/3 of the way down.

Love threads like this. Always gives me great ideas for new music.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My go to list is:

MFSL album - Crime of the Century -Supertramp
MFSL album - Dark Side of the Mood - Pink Floyd
Super audio CD -Dark Side of the Moon.
Album - Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Album - Hell freezes over - Eagles

Any song on any of these recordings works.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Three Lock Box - Sammy Hagar
The title song.
I've used this album to sell high-end audio equipment for years.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post