SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The worst cop/detective show ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The worst cop/detective show ever Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Chicago PD. My wife loves it. I want to throw a brick though the TV. It brutal.

Yep. Was about to say the same thing. Awful.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Miami Vice? Blasphemy out of the mouths of children.

You had to be there, and if you tell me you were, you must have been asleep. Miami Vice wasn't a TV show- it was a movement.

Truer words never spoken.

I'm in the middle of re-watching the first season. I loved it when it first aired, and it is just as interesting, exciting, and meaningful watching it now.

Was there cheese? Yes. There were weak points in some of the story lines, and yes, it is fairly obvious that the cops didn't follow all the policies and procedures that they should have. There were some episodes that were just dogs.

But, there were some poignant story lines in some of the episodes, and the writers really explored some themes that had never been explored in cop shows up to that point. Undercover cops lives and how they sometimes "lose" their identities, the impact of undercover cops lives on their families, bad guys trying to insulate their families from their criminal enterprises, among the ones that first come to my mind. The producers/directors/writers found creative ways to tell these stories while still throwing in the flash of the 80's with the clothing, cars, money, sexiness, exotic locations, ,music and action.

While I didn't care for every single song chosen in the series, there were some incredibly powerful moments highlighted by some of the music choices made. Some of the locations and cinematography were absolutely stunning!

Don Johnson had an incredible range of emotions he could portray with his facial expressions and body language, and Phillip Michael Thomas was right up there with him. The supporting cast did some fine acting in some of the episodes, and were capable of adding both the humor and levity in some of the episodes, as well as the sorrow and heartbreak in others.

Some of the Season 1 episodes that really showed some true brilliance were the pilot episode, the 2 part Calderone episode, the 2 episodes with Dennis Farina starring as a mob boss who wouldn't flip on the mob even after they tried to have him murdered, and the episode in which Gina had to sleep with her pimp to maintain her cover.

Three of my favorites are Smuggler's Blues with Glen Frey starring as a shady pilot for hire, the Glades in which Crockett and Tubbs had to go undercover to a fishing/smuggling town in the Everglades to recover a witness (the old man Clem with his smooth bore Gator Getter was FANTASTIC, even if he only had a small part), and the episode Evan with an undercover cop who has been under too long and has been living with guilt over something he had been a part of years earlier. Pure gold!

Miami Vice aired on Friday nights and I recall many times postponing going out on Friday nights until after we had watched that week's episode.

Miami Vice had some truly great stories made even better with exciting action and powerful music and acting, couched in flashy guns, fast cars, and fancy clothing.

It truly was a movement.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite shows was/is Barney Miller.
I didn''t get it when I was younger but now that I am older and have worked the streets for years I think some of the lines are hilarious.

Me and the girlfriend tried watching Banacek with George Peppard. I could not watch ten minutes of it, and I will give anything a try.

I wasn't a big Miami Vice fan but it was a movement, the clothes, the style, the attitude. I did love the show for the guns, and women they featured. Heck I just liked watching the opening intro.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Miami Vice? Blasphemy out of the mouths of children.

You had to be there, and if you tell me you were, you must have been asleep. Miami Vice wasn't a TV show- it was a movement.
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Sheriff Lobo.
Yes, truly horrible TV, a spin-off of BJ and the Bear, a show almost as stupid as Sheriff Lobo

Sonny shooting at bad guys between him and uniformed officers. Not good.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of those mentioned I really liked, especially Miami Vice.

I'll add my vote for CHiPS as the worst of the worst, with Vegas, sorry, I mean "Vega$", as a close second. I mean really, who the hell parks their car in the living room?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
a;; of them.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Baretta.
Is it true that he never fired his weapon?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In general I have a high tolerance for Cop/Detective shows but when it comes to Med/Doc shows I hate just about all of them > sorry but I digress.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Hawaii 5-0.

I'm a big fan of tan lines etc., but not even close to worth it.

Surely you don't mean The Jack Lord?

To clarify, I mean the new version. Although I'm sure if I were to re-watch the old show now my memories would be ruined so I'll leave it be.

Grace Park is the only object of value in the new one.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised nobody nominated Psych. I'm not. I'm just sayin'...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
ALL of the various CSI shows...TOTAL BS.

Truest to reality of ALL cop shows.... Barney Miller.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
You miss my point. One had to experience this series when it was originally aired.
There were tons of mistakes in the show and bad acting by guest stars was the norm, mainly because Mann chose his guest stars for their looks or their reputations, not their acting abilities.
It doesn't matter. What made Miami Vice a phenomenon was the way it was experienced by its viewers. People forget how innovative was MV.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Chicago PD. My wife loves it. I want to throw a brick though the TV. It brutal.

Yep. Was about to say the same thing. Awful.

I watch it because I like the Sgt. The rest suck and wouldn't last five minutes in the real world. Especially the female detectives.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Sheriff Lobo. Horrible show from what I remember.

I can't recall the name, but decades ago, I watched a sheriff show episode with Suzzane Somers and that was even worse. It probably lasted one season.

"She's the Sheriff"

Awful doesn't begin to describe it. TV Guide called it #44 on the 50 worst shows in the history of TV in 2002. However, it did last 3 seasons.

My vote is "Murder She Wrote", but I'm probably biased. My Alzheimer's suffering mother watches the same 3 episodes on the DVD endlessly. By the time the third one finishes, she's forgotten the plot of the first one. Its getting to the point where I know every word of dialogue from every cast member, and hearing that opening theme music is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Maybe I can get her hooked on Adam-12 reruns for a change of pace. Those I can actually tolerate.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I agree, Walker Texas Ranger is exquisitely lame. It's like it was created, written and directed by a 10 year old boy. NTTATWWT.

We used to enjoy it as a comedy, when we had TV.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
My Dad was a cop and loved Barney Miller. I thought it was the dumbest show I have ever seen.

When NYPD Blue came on there was lots if talk of how realistic it was. A family member, retired NYPD. swore Barny Miller was the most realistic cop show.

Things like TJ Hooker are painful to watch for several reasons, but Unwatchable Texas Ranger is just that.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked how Broderick Crawford would use a telephone pole or stack of pallets for cover during his shootouts. Always with a ricochet sound.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/fJGlJc-YwH8

[FLASH_VIDEO<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fJGlJc-YwH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
My Dad was a cop and loved Barney Miller. I thought it was the dumbest show I have ever seen.

It was one of the most realistic.

Abe Vigoda's character Fish was probably the most accurate depiction of a detective ever on television

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You miss my point. One had to experience this series when it was originally aired.
There were tons of mistakes in the show and bad acting by guest stars was the norm, mainly because Mann chose his guest stars for their looks or their reputations, not their acting abilities.
It doesn't matter. What made Miami Vice a phenomenon was the way it was experienced by its viewers. People forget how innovative was MV.

That a fact right there.

Watched a couple episodes with the stepdaughter. Had to keep explaining just how innovative the show was and it was never done on tv life that before.

Magic sparking bullets and Tubbs with his sawed off shotgun.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

That a fact right there.

Watched a couple episodes with the stepdaughter. Had to keep explaining just how innovative the show was and it was never done on tv life that before.

Magic sparking bullets and Tubbs with his sawed off shotgun.

Yeah, but...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post