SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is there a a starting point with Louis L'Amour?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a a starting point with Louis L'Amour? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Louis L'Amour is my dad's favorite author. Rarely did I see him read any book other than his scriptures or a L'Amour book growing up.
It was never a genre of much interest to me, westerns. However, due to some recent happenings, I've kind of come to have that interest piqued a bit.
I saw a couple L'Amour books at the store today by the magazine aisle, and wondered if there's a good place to start with his books or if anyone's got a favorite.

I did ask my dad, so I'll see what he says, too. It kinda got me thinking that it'll rekindle his love for the books too, which would be fun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
My favorite set of stories involve the Sacketts. I would start with Daybreakers, then Sackett. And then go from there, either chronologically or backtrack to the earlier Sackett stories from the Colonial days. I personally don’t like them as well as the western stories, though.

The two novels I mentioned were combined in a TV miniseries called “The Sacketts” starring Tom Selleck, Glen Ford, Sam Elliot and Jeff Osterhage. Oh and Ben Johnson.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a big Louis L'Amour fan and just last night downloaded two books for my kindle.

My favorite novels are Bowdrie, Bowdries Law and The Iron Marshall

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mentioned above, day breakers.

One that is a personal favorite and a stand-alone book is "the Last of the Breed"

More modern than the rest, and a great read or listen.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
It'd be interesting to get a sequel to Last of the Breed.

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
mentioned above, day breakers.

One that is a personal favorite and a stand-alone book is "the Last of the Breed"

More modern than the rest, and a great read or listen.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
My mother has my grandfathers collection of these, and I keep meaning to read them, as he loved westerns and books in general. But from what I remember I would say all of them are great. He loved them

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I've read, as had my father, all of his books.
The very first book I gave both of my sons was Reilly's Luck.
Flint was another favorite. Hondo and many more
Careful when you buy. Since his death several books, not written by him, are still being sold under his name.
I have a real soft spot for the Sackett's, also.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've read them all, have probably 3/4 of them in storage. I could always completely go there in my mind when I was reading his books.

I never read them in any particular order. It's been several years since I read any of them though...I'd like to start over!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always loved his westerns, but I was lucky enough to find a collection of his short stories at Costco a couple of years ago. His non-Western fiction was every bit as enjoyable to me. Yondering is a good read.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My dad brought down a few books with him from Idaho. I'll look into the others recommended, as well; thanks friends!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to use fantasticfiction.com when searching for authors or series of book order. it shows publishing dates for the books.

Louis' first novel is "westward the tide" 1950. his hopalong Cassidy series started with " the riders of high rock" 1951

although he passed in 1988 they show "new books" dated 2018

I guess the publisher is still making $$

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I haven't read much of his book, but just read recently that Louis L'Amour led a pretty interesting life and that his autobiography, "Education of a Wandering Man", is a good read.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I started reading his books about a year ago, not sure how many I've read. My dentist and I always discussed books and he recommended "The Walking Drum", totally off pace for L'Amour, really enjoyable.

I get his books through the Utah library system, sent to my Kindle, rarely are any immediately available, he's popular!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've probably read about 30 of his books. The majority of them are stand-alones, and even the ones in series (like the Sacketts), do not have to be read in order. Don't be scared of jumping in anywhere.

He did lead an extremely interesting life, and Education of a Wandering Man offers some insights into many of his characters and the situations they face. He wrote fairly realistic stories based on his experience and common sense.

His non-Westerns were just as good as his Westerns (like The Walking Drum). He also delved into modern fiction (Last of the Breed) and even the supernatural (The Haunted Mesa and The Californios).

The reads are typically short, but that's because he conveyed much with few words. One of my favorite comments ever was a description of a character's equipment that concluded with "... and there were enough bullets in his belt." He didn't give a number because that wouldn't have conveyed as much. You know immediately that this character knows what he's getting into, that he knows he needs extra ammunition, that he has sufficient experience with such things to know how much is enough, and that he has equipped himself with it. L'Amour said more about the experience, competence and resolve of the character with that phrase than most authors could say in several pages.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite books is The Walking Drum. It was supposed to be part of a trilogy. It can clearly be read as a stand alone novel. However, it would be nice if his estate would hire someone like Zahn, Foster or Anderson to write the rest of the proposed trilogy. For the Sackets, I’d at least start with the first book or two to get a fellingfor the genealogy and history.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got to go with The Sackett saga. As others have said, no need to read them in order, and I'd suggest as a first timer, not doing so. The first one or two can be a little dry and if you don't know where it's going it might turn you off.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've got to go with The Sackett saga. As others have said, no need to read them in order, and I'd suggest as a first timer, not doing so. The first one or two can be a little dry and if you don't know where it's going it might turn you off.

But here they are in chrono order iffn you want
In fictional story order (not the order written).[16]

Sackett's Land – Barnabas Sackett
To the Far Blue Mountains – Barnabas Sackett
The Warrior's Path – Kin Ring Sackett
Jubal Sackett – Jubal Sackett, Itchakomi Ishai
Ride the River – Echo Sackett (Aunt to Orrin, Tyrel, and William Tell Sackett; also involves Chantrys)
The Daybreakers – Orrin and Tyrel Sackett, Cap Rountree, Tom Sunday
Lando – Orlando Sackett, the Tinker
Sackett – William Tell Sackett, Cap Rountree, Angie
Mojave Crossing – William Tell Sackett
The Sackett Brand – William Tell Sackett, and the whole passel of Sacketts!
The Sky-liners – Flagan and Galloway Sackett
The Lonely Men – William Tell Sackett
Mustang Man – Nolan Sackett
Galloway – Galloway and Flagan Sackett
Treasure Mountain – William Tell and Orrin Sackett, the Tinker
Ride the Dark Trail – Logan Sackett, Em Talon (born a Sackett)
Lonely on the Mountain – William Tell, Orrin and Tyrel Sackett (They go on a mission to help Logan Sackett)

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I was such a fan growing up that I named my son after Tyrell Sackett Smile

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
The Sackett series was my favorite, beginning chronologicaly.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I loved Conagher. Especially picturing Sam Elliott as Conagher.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post