SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bright on Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bright on Netflix Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Netflix’s first big budget movie. Training Day meets Lord of the Rings. The critics hate it audiences love it. I personally liked it...gritty and definitely different. Who has watched it?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The trailer played as soon as I launched Netflix.

Didn't appeal to me, but my mind could be changed. From what little I saw, I wondered if it was inspired by the 80s movie and TV show Alien Nation.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
It’s a David Ayer film, same guy who did Training Day, End of Watch, Fury, etc...

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I just substituted orcs and elfs for blacks and jews and it was just like any other movie on tv.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, i enjoyed it, of course I also started re-reading the Lord of the Rings for the umpteenth time the other day. Sort of in my wheelhouse.

Posts: 104 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I'm halfway through it and I'm enjoying it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think I saw it when it was called Alien Nation. Wink

(at least that's what I keep thinking to myself every time the commercial comes on)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Alien Nation meets In The Heat Of The Night.

We enjoyed it for what it was.

Entertaining.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a mess, disjointed and inconsistent. I was really disappointed

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was okay. Not horrible. Not great.

Way too much profanity. Well-placed profanity is fine when it adds value to the scene. But in this it was over-the-top F-this F-that. Just unnecessary.

I agree it was a mash-up of several movies: LOTR, the Matrix, Training Day, Alien Nation, District 9. But I guess there's really nothing new under the sun so whatever.

Even with 'maximum suspension of disbelief' engaged... there were some WTF moments.

Will Smith is not really an actor. He pretty much is the same 'guy' in every movie.

They will probably make another one. I won't watch this one again.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was one of those where the trailer is better than the movie.

Plus they showed all the best parts in the trailer as well.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched it yet, but will.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I will watch it. (As soon as I break down and get another tv) and I will probably enjoy it.
For all the folks saying it’s the same as Training Day, Alien Nation, or whatever else movie...
Yeah, so? Different stuff appeals to different interests.

An example: the old RTS games Warcraft and Starcraft were the same game, just different skins. I bought both and enjoyed both. Even several of the expansions for each. Why? Because I’m a pretty big fan of both sci-fi AND Fantasy.

BTW: “Alien Nation” ...alienation.....see what they did there? Smile

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Watched it lst night too.
Thought it was OK, mildly entertaining.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I watched it thinking it was the pilot for a series. I immediately looked for the next episode, planning on a mini-binge.

I was a bit disappointed to find it was not.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Urban fantasy plus gritty cop drama. The critics hate it but most of the reviews from the public are positive.

I don't get why some people find it to be confusing. I think they did a good job of world-building and explaining what was going on, and look forward to future films in the series.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I watched it thinking it was the pilot for a series. I immediately looked for the next episode, planning on a mini-binge.

I was a bit disappointed to find it was not.

Yeah, it's a movie not a series. But luckily, Netflix has already green-lit a sequel. Did so before it was released, in fact.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Why? Because I’m a pretty big fan of both sci-fi AND Fantasy.

Yeah, ya don't say.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it better than Star Wars episode 36 I saw Thursday...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I liked it though if it wasn't for Will Smit (is that the correct spelling? ) and his wise cracking MIB style, I do not think the series has/ had a chance

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Will Smith is on my list I refuse to watch anything with him in it

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post