SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Battle for Sevastopol (on Amazon Prime)

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Battle for Sevastopol (on Amazon Prime) Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted
Just watched this movie and gotta say I really liked it.

It's based on the true story of Lyudmila Pavlichenko, a female Ukrainian sniper during WWII.

Posts: 954 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen Hunter has a fiction book about a female sniper named Ludmilla “Mili” Petrova, not sure it's based on the same lady.

https://www.amazon.com/Snipers...niper+stephen+hunter

Posts: 11830 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, I watched it today as well. Not bad. Coulda done without the music video/sniper montage in the middle, but otherwise, pretty good.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14431 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching it now..thanks for the tip.

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2284 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
watched it yesterday.

Very well done.

Posts: 2653 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found that movie this weekend and was very impressed.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
posted Hide Post
Very good movie.

Posts: 4074 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't see it in Prime.

Is it a buy/rent/cd thing?

Posts: 8727 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't see it in Prime.

I did a search on Amazon video on the computer and then added it to my watchlist.

it was on Prime when I watched it (Monday the 2nd).

here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/Battl...on_type%3A9052272011

Posts: 2653 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Very good movie.

+1! Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2702 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I don't see it in Prime.

I did a search on Amazon video on the computer and then added it to my watchlist.

here is the link https://smile.amazon.com/Battl...on_type%3A9052272011

Great, thanks! For some reason I couldn't find it when I looked.

Posts: 8727 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched some of this but lost interest. Is the scene of the at the beach eating ice cream accurate for the time period? It seems a little propagandaish. I would have thought boiled potatoes and cabbage standing around the fire barrel hoping not to be sent to the gulag would be more accurate. Maybe I have a skewed idea of what life was like in Russia at the time.

Posts: 282 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Is the scene of the at the beach eating ice cream accurate for the time period?

Sevastapol is an oceanfront vacation town at the tip of the Crimean Peninsula on the Black Sea. (It's roughly the same latitude as the French Riviera/Mediterranean Coast, to give you an idea of the climate.)

So while I haven't seen the film yet, a scene of them hanging out at the beach would be appropriate for Sevastopol.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Sebastopol (California). Russian friends didn't know what to make of that--hey, I thought you were American!

Posts: 12190 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I added it to my Amazon watch list last week.

But when I tried to find and watch it on Netflix the other night I couldn't. I wonder why? Doh!

Posts: 14026 | Location: A little box of pine on the 7:29 | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Watch it last night. It was alright. Not great, but worth watching.

The Good:
-Some of the CGI was excellent, like the aerial battle over the Black Sea.
-The battle scenes were decent, even though they were a bit low budget.
-An interesting real-life story of a woman that few Americans have likely heard of, in a part of the war that few Americans have likely heard of.
-The film was surprisingly anti-Soviet. The high-ranking officers were almost universally portrayed as being totally inept, and the true-believer Communists were portrayed as rude, demanding, and sinister.

The Bad:
-Unnecessary "music video" montage in the middle of the film.
-Not a fan of the "love triangles upon love triangles" plot element.
-The dubbing for nearly all of the American characters was just awful. 1970s late night kung-fu movie type of awful.
-Kinda low budget/unpolished. You could tell that most of the larger scenes were actually small affairs that they tried to stretch with some tricks and additional CGI usage.
-For the stitch counters and uber-nerds, some of the uniforms and weaponry weren't 100% accurate for late 1941/early 1942.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed this movie. Thanks for the tip.

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2681 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Well, it's no Showgirls.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 4029 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
I watched it but wasn't impressed. The battle scenes were terrible IMO. Also, I read up on the real story afterwards and it seems this story wasn't told very accurately.

Posts: 3325 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post