Find
Notify
Tools

This Is Us Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
A friend suggested it. Not bad at all, but being set in Pittsburgh might help, since it's local to me.

Pretty entertaining through the 4th episode, which is where we are at now.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 9459 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is well made, and I sort of liked it. It is a variant of the evening family soap opera that NBC likes to have on its schedule.

The characters all have too many problems, and like to whine about them too much for me to really enjoy it unreservedly. Too much angst.

But, Milana Vayntrub (Lily from the AT&T ads) has a small part later in the season, and she is delightful.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42516 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I was urged to watch this so I took advantage of our cable's on-demand feature during the tv dead zone between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most surely a soap opera, a little too pat, obvious and manipulative but oddly addictive in its way. So, yeah, pretty well done and I'm sure I could have done worse with my time.

Posts: 3930 | Location: Columbia, Illinois | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very smart writing.

Avoid spoilers, it makes the fall finale that much more entertaining....I never saw it coming.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 7721 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I was hooked from the first episode.
I've got a thing for Mandy Moore so it was a no-brainer.
Plus, Pittsburgh is still my spiritual center and I love anything from the homeland. It makes me homesick.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26136 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I thought they have done a very good job of dealing with Kate's struggle with her weight. A lot of it rings true.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 1495 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I was hooked after a few episodes. I think it's a good show and well written. I am looking forward to season 2 starting soon. Also, I agree with Ronin about the season finale for season 1.

Posts: 6521 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
I like it also. I think the characters are intense in their own way. They have all issues and are dealing with them in their own way.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3032 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
This week's episode "Memphis" was the best in a surprisingly good series. "Memphis" was amazing in its coherency from start to finish, tying one thing to another over and over. I can't say there were any surprises, some was predictable but this was sheer poetry. One of the best episodes in any series ever IMO, it really had me going.

Posts: 3930 | Location: Columbia, Illinois | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post